26 posts in this topic

WOW! blink.gifblink.gif

[attachmentid=1371]

[attachmentid=1372]

Oct 13, 2006 10:39 am US/Eastern

Western N.Y. Clobbered By Record Snowfall

More Than 350,000 Lose Power

(CBS/AP) BUFFALO, N.Y.

Up to two feet of snow from an extraordinary fall storm closed roads, cut power to some 350,000 customers and left this city paralyzed as officials banned driving in the region Friday.

The snow, delivered in a fury of thunder and lightning, blanketed Buffalo and surrounding areas Thursday night and early Friday.

A 105-mile stretch of the New York State Thruway from Exit 46 at Rochester to Exit 59 at Dunkirk, southwest of Buffalo, was closed Friday morning because of heavy lake-effect snow.

Normally busy downtown streets were empty as residents tried to push their cars from snowbanks and shovel out the wet, heavy snow.

"It's phenomenal. It's October. There's three feet of snow in your yard and all the trees are down. No power," said Ron Pellnat, surveying the damage. "It's Friday the 13th, how about that. I'm not superstitious but it's kind of coincidental isn't it?"

Trees and hedges that had yet to lose their leaves crumpled into heartbreaking heaps.

Unharvested apples and pumpkins were buried and schoolchildren who began the week with the Columbus Day holiday ended it with a snow day.

The season's first snowfall in western New York left more than 230,000 customers without electricity.

As of 8:30 a.m. Friday, 18 to 24 inches of snow had fallen in the general Buffalo area, said Tom Paone, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. The snowfall had moved north over Niagara Falls and "at least for the immediate Buffalo area, the worst is over."

On Thursday, 8.6 inches of heavy snowfall set the record for the "snowiest" October day in Buffalo in the 137 year history of the weather service.

The record lasted for all of one day as a foot of snow fell early Friday. The previous record of 6 inches was set Oct. 31, 1917.

Tom Niziol, also a meteorologist with the weather service, said the northern half of Erie County and southern Niagara and Orleans Counties were among the hardest hit areas.

"This is an extremely rare event for this early in the season," Niziol said.

The Buffalo Police Department received more than 3,000 calls late Thursday and about two-thirds were related to the weather, Lt. James Watkins said.

"We had a lot of trees down, wires down, accidents galore," said John Kujawa, a city police officer who got off of work at 1 a.m. Friday.

National Grid, which reported 230,000 customers without power, worked through the night to restore power, but many were expected to be without power through the weekend and into next week, spokesman Steve Brady said. A major problem was getting crews on the road, he said.

"Our people are getting stuck in the driveway here," Brady said. "Many of the roads are, if not impassible, near impassible. We're just having a hard time getting people from point A to point B."

The company was trying to mobilize more than 400 line crews and another 200 forestry crews.

New York State Electric & Gas reported an additional 120,000 without power in the region.

Unnecessary driving was banned in Buffalo, its largest suburb, Amherst, as well as the suburbs of Blasdell, Orchard Park and Hamburg.

"We have a condition where 80 percent of the roads are impassible," said Lt. Stephen McGonagle of the Amherst Police Department.

Dozens of schools were closed and states of emergency were declared in the City of Tonawanda, and towns of Cheektowaga, Elma, Lancaster, Akron and Depew.

The airport closed for less than two hours late Thursday and then closed again during the night. Crews were working to clear runways Friday morning and flights were expected to resume at noon, an airport official said.

post-839-1160745267.jpg

post-839-1160745277.jpg

Edited by hoss

Time to strap on the skies, snowboards and get that snowmobile reasy!! Got to love the lake-effect snow!

From another source:

Officials forced to close thruway this morning from Exit 46 Rochester to 59 Dunkirk due to high winds and unprecedented snowfall

It was a wild night at work last night in the Buffalo zone--We were all in total amazement watching the conditions deteriorate by the hour. I guess the most interesting was watching the lightning show on the highway cameras. One report at 5pm from the weather service called for some snow to cover grassy surfaces with minor accumulations. When I left there at midnight the weather service sent us a bulletin conceding we would be measuring snow by the foot in the morning. Most of the maintenance sections were caught off guard and hadn't even begun getting plows and equipment ready for winter operations. I hope this isn't a taste of what's to come.

Reminds me of, if I have the date right, I think it was Sunday October 4th 1987. we had 6 to 8 inches of the stuff in the Northern Westchester/Putnam area. Trees, wires down, roads blocked all over. It was a MESS!!!!!

Time to strap on the skies, snowboards and get that snowmobile reasy!!  Got to love the lake-effect snow!

Teh, Time for another Long Winter of Back-breaking Shoveling and snowblowing. dry.gif .

What a Fun season this is gunna be. The only reason I like Snow is for School Closings. And the Part that Sucks is on Christmas eve and Christmas day....Everyone will be home with family and my Dad and the rest of the DPW crew will most likely be out plowing like every Christmas and Christmas Eve to open up the roads so that everyone else can get to where they have to go. Also lets not forget the FD, PD, and EMT staffs that must work on every holiday to protect/help the rest of us and have to be away from their family dry.gif. I think about that every Holiday and Im always thankful of the people in Emergency Services who do this and I think everyone else should to.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Well lets just hope it takes its time getting here. I love the snow I just dont want it now

Edited by eike1701

well is about 90 degrees here in florida...i just wish I was back home in the cold watching it snow

This guy likes it!!!!! biggrin.gif

[attachmentid=1373]

credit: David Duprey/AP 10-13-06

post-839-1160762533.jpg

I hear as of 10 AM this date the NYS OFPC has activated the Fire Mobilization and Mutual Aid Response Plan. Some of us may be heading north!

I hear as of 10 AM this date the NYS OFPC has activated the Fire Mobilization and Mutual Aid Response Plan.  Some of us may be heading north!

A few of the guys from my department up here in rochester went out there this morning, they might be sending more guys, but from what I have heard there are enough depts on the waiting list to go out there that they really don't need too many others

but we shall see

they can keep that snow up there because i don't want it

Also lets not forget the FD, PD, and EMT staffs that must work on every holiday to protect/help the rest of us and have to be away from their family dry.gif. I think about that every Holiday and Im always thankful of the people in Emergency Services who do this and I think everyone else should to.

Don't forget about the dispatchers too....

i wish there was no snow ohmy.gif

2 buddies called me from Buffalo, said it was a bit of a surprise and they weren't totally prepared for that much snow so early. One is on the job in Buffalo and they have no power, another lives in Orchard Park and he also has no power but says luckily he had fire wood and fuel, plenty of wine, a bottle of johnny walker (from a very good friend smile.gif as he put it) and fuel for the snow blower. He invited me up but I passed. Good timing on some vacation Keith. lol. Guess you'll get to go home from work when the snow thaws Zarbo...when is that next July. lol.

they can keep that snow up there because i don't want it

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[attachmentid=1375]

Buffalo Niagara International Airport, 10-13-06

credit: Kevin Rivoli/AP

October 14, 2006

Snowstorm Blankets Buffalo, Killing at Least 3

By DAVID STABA

The New York Times

BUFFALO, Oct. 13 — An unusual early-fall snowstorm buried Buffalo and a broad swath of New York State reaching east to the Rochester suburbs late Thursday and early Friday, snarling traffic, snapping power lines and leaving almost 400,000 homes and businesses without electricity.

Officials attributed three deaths to the storm. Two died in automobile accidents, and a third was struck by a falling branch.

Even in Buffalo, where the ability to endure severe weather is a source of civic pride, few expected a snowstorm like this in mid-October — including those who predict them.

Don Paul, a meteorologist at WIVB-TV4 in Buffalo, has worked in the area for more than 20 years. “Of all the events I’ve seen here, this storm involves the most widespread devastation in the most populated area,†he said. “It’s absolutely an historic storm.â€

According to the National Weather Service, 8.6 inches of snow fell Thursday, breaking the previous mark for the month, 6 inches, set on Oct. 31, 1917. About 14 inches fell on Friday, for a total of 22.6 inches at Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

“Our crews were wrapping up their workdays yesterday and the weather forecasters were still talking about rain,†said Steve Brady, a spokesman for National Grid, which provides electricity to Buffalo as well as its largest suburbs. “We’ve had windstorms in the fall and ice storms in the fall, but never a snowstorm like this, this early.â€

After surveying the devastation from a helicopter Friday afternoon, Gov. George E. Pataki declared a state of emergency in four counties at the western end of the state.

Mr. Brady estimated that 261,000 National Grid homes and businesses — about half of its customers — as far east as Brockport, near Rochester, were without power.

And about 125,000 customers served by New York State Electric and Gas were also without electricity as of Friday afternoon.

The situation was especially severe in Buffalo, where Mayor Byron Brown said about 70 percent of the city’s 285,000 residents were without electricity.

Heavy wet snow started falling about 2 p.m. Thursday. Snow built up on the leaves and branches of trees, bending and breaking even the healthiest of trunks.

Heightening the clash of seasons, lightning flashed through the night and loud claps of thunder mingled with the cracks and pops of trees giving way under the weight of the snow.

The falling trees severed power lines, damaged cars and houses, and blocked countless streets.

Besides closing area schools and most businesses, the storm disrupted schedules at area hospitals.

All elective surgeries at Women and Children’s Hospital of Buffalo were postponed, said Cheryl Klass, president of the hospital, and staff members slept at the hospital between their 12-hour shifts.

A 105-mile stretch of the New York State Thruway — from Dunkirk northeast to Rochester — was closed for much of the day as crews worked to clear the highway, said Sarah Kampf, a spokeswoman for the New York State Thruway Authority.

“There are some jackknifed tractor-trailers,†Ms. Kampf said. “Mostly, though, it just needs to be plowed.â€

Many motorists were stranded along the snow-choked thruway, but personnel traveling on snowmobiles delivered food and water to them.

“Our Buffalo division was prepared for what they were reporting would fall,†Ms. Kampf said. “But it was quite a bit more than what was being reported.â€

According to Mr. Brady, “As the snow melts and trees start to stand back up, they can whack wires going back up in the other direction. And if the wind starts to blow pretty good, that could cause a problem for us.â€

Residents and officials braced for the possibility of flooding caused by the combination of melting snow and rain that was forecast for the weekend. Temperatures are expected to stay in the 40’s.

Governor Pataki said it was too early to estimate how much it would cost to clear the highways and restore electricity.

post-839-1160820587.jpg

I couldn't believe this when i heard/saw it on the news at first. Its still early October and those poor people are dealing with 2 feet of snow! I mean, it is Buffalo and they always get hammered, but i think even they may have been thrown off by this storm.

I work for the highway dept. in my village and believe me, snow = $$$ for us, but its not my favorite way to get paid! The OT is great, but driving around in circles for hours, chasing the snow isn't exactly my idea of a fun night! So i hope that the white stuff stays away from us for awhile, because i'm certainly not ready for it.

I currently live in Buffalo and yes the storm really did catch most people offguard. The problem wasn't necessarily the volume of snow, it just had terrible timing. Since most all of the trees still had a full set of leaves on them, when the snow fell they couldn't hold the weight. The result was a lot of them literally snapped in half and fell on power lines. That is why 300,000 cutomers were without power and I hear they might not be restored untill Tuesday at the earliest.

Here are some pictures taken by my friend and I:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Hopefully we will have a mild winter here in westchester, but if it's not may it be safe and ejoyable for all during the holiday season.

Reminds me of, if I have the date right, I think it was Sunday October 4th 1987. we had 6 to 8 inches of the stuff in the Northern Westchester/Putnam area. Trees, wires down, roads blocked all over. It was a MESS!!!!!

That's right DOC. It was a Saturday night into a Sunday morning. Woke up and heard, what I thought was machine gun fire. It was, in actuality, branches breaking and falling on numerous trees. The snow melted Sunday afternoon but we were without power, and consequently heat and water, for 5 days. NYSEG did a superb job in restoring service.

That's right DOC.  It was a Saturday night into a Sunday morning.  Woke up and heard, what I thought was machine gun fire.  It was, in actuality, branches breaking and falling on numerous trees.  The snow melted Sunday afternoon but we were without power, and consequently heat and water, for 5 days.  NYSEG did a superb job in restoring service.

Actually I was at work 16 hour shift at Shaft 18. When I left Sunday Morning I didn't see snow till I got north of exit 4. Although I was doing a Chlorine tank change when my pager went off for wires down and I heard them request the Highway Department due to heavy snow. Nothing but rain in Valhalla all night.

I remember that quite well. My house shook as a branch hit the roof and slid down the side. Woke me right out of bed. We had no power for two days. Walked around Lake Carmel and surveyed the mess.

Yes i remember that day no power no school trees and power lines

down all over the place i think i have a picture of that day some where

around hate to see that again

Here's something I received:

Date:    Oct 17, 2006 2:17 PM

FEMA-3268-EM-NY

INITIAL SITREP

1. SITREP NUMBER: 01

2. DATE/TIME: 10/16/2006 1700 EDT

3. TYPE INCIDENT: Natural Disaster - snow storm

4. LOCATION: Western New York State: Erie, Genesee, Niagara, and Orleans Counties

5. TIME OF INCIDENT: 10/12/2006 and continuing

6. THREAT/CAUSAL FACTORS: None

7. INITIAL ON-SCENE STATUS/CAPABILITIES ASSESSMENT

A. CASUALTIES:

* 4 related deaths/unconfirmed

* Injured: at least 200

B. PROPERTY DAMAGE/INFRAST AFFECTED:

* Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans Counties

C. TERRORISM NEXUS: Not applicable

D. GENERAL POPULATION STATUS:

* Over 226, 000 customers are still without power

* Over 1,000 people are in over 23 shelters/warming centers

E. WEATHER EFFECTS:

* Warming temperatures are melting snow, therefore high potential

for flooding

* Low evening temperatures will have an impact on the number of

families without power needed to go to warming centers

F. EXTENT OF CONTAMINATION: Unknown

G. ON SCENE/ENROUTE CAPABILITIES:

* Army Corps of Engineers: Mission assigned to provide generators

to credible facilities

* Red Cross and other voluntary agencies: Providing

shelters/warming centers for residents without power

* FEMA logistics delivered 2 - 50 packs of generators

* FCO is in Albany with NY SEMO.

H. REQUESTS FOR ADDITIONAL SUPPORT:

* PDA teams for both IA and PA are being formed to determine

additional needs

I. POSSIBLE CASCADING EFFECTS:

* Initial heavy snow storm potentially becoming a secondary flood

event

* Current estimates of power restoration to be complete 10/23/06

J. WMD EFFECTS: None

K. INDICATIONS OF FOLLOW-ON INCIDENT:

8. INITIAL RESPONSE:

LOCAL:

* City of Buffalo EOC

* Erie County EOC

* Genesee County EOC

* Niagara County EOC

* Orleans County EOC

* Mutual Aid agreements were activated to help meet short goals.

STATE:

* NY SEMO Regional EOC

* NY SEMO State EOC

* National Guard activated

* NY State Police

* Public Service Commission

* NYS DOT

* NYS Office of Fire Protection and Control

* NYS Department of Health

* NYS Department of Environmental Conservation

FEDERAL:

* RRCC

* NRCC

* ESF-3 - Mission assigned to install generators at identified

critical facilities

* ESF-8 - Monitoring power, water, incidence of illness and carbon

monoxide exposure, and staffing issues at Hospitals, Nursing Homes and other Health Care Facilities

9. FEDERAL/STATE/LOCAL/INTERNATIONAL CONTACTS MADE: See above; no International contacts

10. COOP/COG ACTIONS ANTICIPATED: None at this time

11. NCR IMPACT: None

12. INTERNATIONAL IMPACT: None

13. DHS ACTIONS/INTENTIONS:

14. ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/CONSIDERATIONS:

Designated FCO, Peter Martinasco, will be meeting with NY SEMO this evening to discuss future actions in this matter.

Power still out for some after NY storm

By CAROLYN THOMPSON,

Associated Press Writer

35 minutes ago

Over 100,000 customers remained without power Wednesday and schools were still closed nearly a week after a record-setting snowstorm, and officials raised the toll of storm-related deaths to 12 people.

Health officials said the deaths include one person hit by a falling tree limb, three killed by carbon monoxide and two who died shoveling snow.

"If you have one death it's bad," Erie County Health Commissioner Anthony Billitier said.

The surprise storm dumped up to two feet of heavy snow on Buffalo and surrounding areas last Thursday and Friday.

With round-the-clock cleanup efforts continuing, about 101,500 homes and businesses remained without power Wednesday and schools in Buffalo and surrounding towns said they would be unable to reopen until next week.

About 380,000 people originally lost power in the storm.

U.S. Rep. Brian Higgins criticized the Federal Emergency Management Agency's response as inadequate, saying the agency had offered little guidance on reimbursement and loan programs and snubbed the city of Buffalo during a tour of damage this week.

FEMA officials defended their response, saying they had readied generators and other equipment even before a Sunday disaster declaration that made up to $5 million in cleanup funds immediately available.

Tuesday marked day six without electricity for 85-year-old Helene Lipman, and the water in her basement had crept to the first step, so she moved into a Red Cross shelter at an elementary school.

Lipman said there had been some laughs at shelter, but with her power likely out through the coming weekend, the sense of adventure was wearing thin.

"Absolutely fed up," she said when asked how she was faring. "I'm going to lose my furnace, washer, dryer."