Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Should The New EMTBravo.com Stay Or Go?

36 posts in this topic

I've gotten a lot of feedback from several people, many longtime fans of the site, in person and via email, who don't like the new EMTBravo.com They cite it being too confusing, they don't like the colors, or they just plain don't like it.

This new redesign is the most radical change of EMTBravo.com ever. EMTBravo.com has more or less remained the same in appearance since it's inception over three years ago. Many people are creatures of comfort, and have become very comforatble and familiar with the former EMTBravo.com layout. Sometimes, we don't like change at first, but we grow used to it with time, even grow to like it.

I solicited input from a lot of members before making the changes, and redesigned the site with this input in mind. It is still a work in progress....as EMTBravo.com will always be.

These new changes have also recieved a lot of positive feedback, and a lot of people- especially those who spend more time on the internet- like it. I try to make EMTBravo.com as easy and friendly to use as possible, and I firmly beleive this design does that well.....and takes the increasing amount of content that the EMTBravo sites produce, and ties it all together in a very clean layout. When these forums were upgraded, many people took time to get used to the change, and didn't like it at first either. But we tweaked it with members input, many grew to really like the new forums, and it accomplished it's goal for both the members and I well.

So, my question is to you, with the above in mind? Should the new page stay or should it go? Please add constructive input as to why it should or should not.

I am asking this question because I'm still on the fence myself. I've also grown used to the old EMTBravo.com, but I really like the new one- and it's potential- as well. This is a member-driven site, so I ask you.

Version 3.5 (http://www.emtbravo.com/oldindex.php) will only still be available for a limited time, so please add your input.

I personally like the new layout. I find it much cleaner and with much less scrolling required to get to what you're looking for. That being said, I haven't been around here for very long nor do I really check that site often. Change can be a good thing though, and I have to say that if you're happy with the changes you made and you think going forward the site will be better off for it, then I say keep the new look.

I think the concept behind the new page is quite cool, but its a bit to complex for me. This doesnt nessesarliy mean that I want the old page back, I just think that this new page could be done better, with things more easily layed out. Also, I'm not a fan of the new photo system.

I think the concept behind the new page is quite cool, but its a bit to complex for me. This doesnt nessesarliy mean that I want the old page back, I just think that this new page could be done better, with things more easily layed out. Also, I'm not a fan of the new photo system.

Thanks for the input.

One of the reason why I posted this was because I don't understand what people are saying when it's too complex. I feel it's pretty easy, what am I missing? The feature photo and latest photos are in the middle, the left sidebar you have EMTBravo.com links, recent forum topics, and Recent x635:The Blog entries. On the right sidebar are the latest incident, FireEMSAlpha articles, and sponsors. Everything's right there, I know the old EMTBravo.com, everyone had there way of reading it that they got comfortable with...but I feel this new layout makes things a lot easier.

As far as the new photo system, people have been asking me for a long time for a way to search through, organize, and sort the photos. That is why I went through with building this new system. Also, I'm still working on it, so please add what you do or don't like so I can make it better.

I know that it's not the EMTBravo people are used to, but I hope people will give it a chance to grow on them before they completly condemn it.

seth, i have to say originally i did not like the change, probably because it was different. however, now that i have gotten used to it i like it. i think you have done all of this work and it has paid off. this new version in my opinion is here and should be here to stay, at least untill you come up with a new version a few years down the road. it is cleaner and more organized. it is easier to navigate the site and get to afiliated sites. keep up the great work

josh (the intern)

I like the new layout, but after the first couple of days, something changed, and it doesn't load right. Guess that's one of the joys of using an antiquated computer.

I like the new layout, but after the first couple of days, something changed, and it doesn't load right.  Guess that's one of the joys of using an antiquated computer.

Andy, you're using a Mac, correct with the Mac-brand browser? Also, can you specify "doesn't load right" , so I can look into the issue so it does load right.

Yes, I'm on a Mac. When I use Safari, it loads with the feature photo and related picture links crammed into the bottom of the right-side column under the sponsor links. When using IE, it loads the way it should, but the feature photo doesn't show up. Haven't tried it using Netscape yet.

Yes, I'm on a Mac.  When I use Safari, it loads with the feature photo and related picture links crammed into the bottom of the right-side column under the sponsor links.  When using IE, it loads the way it should, but the feature photo doesn't show up.   Haven't tried it using Netscape yet.

If you wouldn't mind, what resloution are you using, and what size monitor? And do you have any extra windows open in your browser, such as Favorites?

I'm still working on the site, and unfortunetly still trying to make it compatible with 800x600 resolutions.

Is anyone else using Safari having similar issues?

Resolution is presently 1024x768. Not sure of exact monitor size. It's built into the iMac. Possibly 15-inch?

Just for ha-ha's, I launched Netscape, and it works fine on there.

i'm not a huge fan of the new layout either.....

maybe its just takes time to get use to it.....

I think its fine. You're too sensitive. Keep it...they'll adapt...its the content not how it looks.

I wouldnt worry,its fine!nice job. Its kinda like cooking in the firehouse ,the most critical are the ones that dont cook, but what you find is no matter how much they b****,they'll still eat it.

I personally like it a lot. I find it simple to use and well laid out. The only problem is i'm using Firefox, and the resolution wont fit on my screen...anything to help that out?

I like it. It's clean and easy to use.

Art in DC

I like the layout... I am still not sure about the new website to organize the pictures... But i think once that is underway it will get much better. I noticed when i was reading these posts, a lot of people said they liked the new site. For the people who say they do not like it, or it is too confusing... What do you think is confusing about it?

I like the layout... I am still not sure about the new website to organize the pictures... But i think once that is underway it will get much better. I noticed when i was reading these posts, a lot of people said they liked the new site. For the people who say they do not like it, or it is too confusing... What do you think is confusing about it?

I like the colors, and I like most of the layout. But I think there is way too much on the page.

Break it up.... and make it look more organized.

I like the new look Seth. I think it looks clean and organized. We were all familiar with the old look and sometimes change is difficult, but once you use the new layout a few times, its a pleasure. smile.gif

Simply put........I liked the old one better.

Although I am a big fan of nice graphics and all, it's a little confusing......Maybe I'll get used to it, but for now, I like the old better.

I like the new site... the only thing i'm not sure about is the new picture site... but thats still new, so I'm sure that will improve once it really gets going. I'm curious though... a lot of people apparently say they dont like the site because it is confusing. What is confusing about it?

I think the incident alert is a little confusing b/c it's all on top of each other. Maybe break it up per incident such as the latest topic section is done, or change colors?

I have to say I LOVE the new and improved EMTBRAVO.COM

If you take a moment to think back where this site was 1, 2, or 3 years

ago it's very clear of the steps taken to improve the site by YOU!

I'd love to see someone take the challenge of running a site trying

to please almost 5,000 members or are we past that yet?

YOU DO AN AWESOME JOB!!! biggrin.gif

I respect everyone's opinions on here as I know you do also but with all the time and work you put into this site for no one but US you deserve a compliment NOT negative comments. "I don't like this, I don't like that"

With all due respect if you don't like it... Click the "X" at the top of

the website. Enough is enough!

THE NEW EMTBRAVO.COM SHOULD ABSOLUTELY STAY!

Oh...by the way.... How many people made a DONATION to help cover

the costs of EMTBRAVO we all love (or bitch about) so much?

Thanks to RWC130 and all for their input. You are correct that it's difficult that I want to please everybody, and it is. However, I am going to continue doing what I think is in the best interest of the site and its members. I realize that it is impossible to make everyone happy, and am confident that this new layout will grow on everyone.

As mentioned, I think this page will work out in the long run better for us all. As time allows, I'm still improving on the design, and as this is a member driven site, member input is important to me in designing the page. However, this input process will soon be ending, and I will be making the decision to keep or get rid of the new format.....as of now, my thoughts are 98.5% that is is going to stay.

My main concern right now is that it is loading correctly in a majority of the members browsers, which is an issue I am still working on. I will also work on improving the spacing of the IA's. Also planned is a reintergration of the sponsorship ads. Among many other things.

I've got some other things planned with the new design, so stay tuned and bear with me. It just takes some time...

Concept is great, as are the colors. It's a little bit confusing, but you should give it some time. People have to get used to it.

The layout is OK but I still think that it needs to be "cleaned up" a bit and made easier to read. the wording is too bunched togetehre, but thte layout idea is great. Maybe a little more graffic boxes surounding the links or some different color schemes to break the page up.

I know how much hard work you have done on it but I just don't want you to throw it away, play with it for a while and see how you can make it look better.

As with anything new to FF's it will take some time to get used to it. Good-2-Go!!!!