Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

High Pressure Engines in Westchester?

15 posts in this topic

Croton Falls Mini Attack 17 Ford 4x4 Suoer Duty with a FMC High Pressure (1000 psi) Pump 210 gallon tank.

PORT CHESTER ENGINE 58 1988 GRUMMAN FIRE CAT 1,000 G.P.M. 3 STAGE WATERRUS PUMP AND ENGINE 59 A 1994 PIERCE ARROW ALSO A 1,000 G.P.M 3 STAGE PUMP BOTH RIGS HAVE 800 GALLON TANKS AND SET UP FOR ATTACK ENGINES. ENGINE 58 COVERS LOWER PORT CHESTER AND ENGINE 59 COVERS UPPER PORT CHESTER AND RYE BROOK AND IS FIRST DUE TO THE WESTCHESTER COUNTY AIRPORT.

Okay,

I have a question. Working on a FDNY Hi-Press Engine, I am wondering how the Westchester units use the 3rd stage and what for?

Also what kind of safety steps are used when the 3rd stage is active?

I dont know if this is what you mean but bedfords engine 108 has one of the strongest pumps in the county.....couple that with the massive trash pump in the back compartment and you might have one hell of the highest pressure pumping contraptions in county

Croton Falls Mini Attack 17 Ford 4x4 Suoer Duty with a FMC High Pressure (1000 psi) Pump 210 gallon tank.

1,000 PSI that is insane, what kind of hose do you flow that pressure through?? Who can hold the nozel at that pressure too?

1,000 PSI that is insane, what kind of hose do you flow that pressure through?? Who can hold the nozel at that pressure too?

In the city we carry very heavy 3" hose which can hold upto 700psi along with a range of adapters and fittings which also can hold 700psi. It's all for standpipe operations and nothing else.

As far as your holding a nozzel, some europe depts have hi-press pumps and use small hose like a pressuer washer.

In the city we carry very heavy 3" hose which can hold upto 700psi along with a range of adapters and fittings which also can hold 700psi.  It's all for standpipe operations and nothing else.

As far as your holding a nozzel, some europe depts have hi-press pumps and use small hose like a pressuer washer.

High pressure fog line (booster lines) a common used lines for many years. Usually involved the

Hardie Guns on 3/4 or 1 inch booster lines.

From what I have gathered from the European firefighters I have spoken to, the HP pumps with the "pressure washer" type hose are used primarily because most of their residential fires are just room and contents. They use less water to knock down more fire.

Lake Carmel had a reel on one or two of their old rigs with the HP set up.

Nozzle is shaped somewhat like a gun. Hose is 3/4" to 1" with steel webbing in it as with any high pressure hose. It has some kick to it but one person can operate it, although a back-up person is always recommended.

JBE is right about the Europeans. Rosenbauer Central states actually has 3 stage pump that will deliver 100 gpm at 600psi. That comes from there European side of the company.

The big question is in using it here. I know around here that standpipes have a tendancy to fail in the older buildings and that is at two stage pressure. Not to mention outside of WPFD and NRFD the tallest buildings are 6 stories and you don't the Hi pressure side of the equation.

If you want information on European High Pressure pumpers, there is a really good article posted on FireEMSAlpha.com, by Andy Fish.

"Putting Water On The Flames: How Different Could It Be?"

http://fireemsalpha.com/?p=10

Edited by x635

Nozzle is shaped somewhat like a gun. Hose is 3/4" to 1" with steel webbing in it as with any high pressure hose. It has some kick to it but one person can operate it, although a back-up person is always recommended.

It flows about 80 to 90 gallons per minute. The nozzle has an adjustment on it that sets it on a graduated basis between a straight stream and fog pattern. you could put out a lot of fire with a minimal amount of water damage, BUT ya better know what you're doing cause you can get under the fire and blow it up, over and down behind you. This (I believe is one of the reasons people are getting away from that type of firefighting.

With the fog pattern you could even put out a gas/oil fire, but again ya had to know how to use it.

From what I have gathered from the European firefighters I have spoken to, the HP pumps with the "pressure washer" type hose are used primarily because most of their residential fires are just room and contents. They use less water to knock down more fire.

Lake Carmel had a reel on one or two of their old rigs with the HP set up.

The term "Wash down" had a whole new meaning when you would use the high pressure pumps on Lake Carmel's 17-2-1-and 17-3-1.

New Paltz NY used them years ago. Although in theory they should work, the use of them I believe is over. Actually New Paltz just got rid of there last Bean with high pressure. I was kid when I saw it used, but the attack with one had to be cordinated with venting, and the third stage or high pressure was not used for supply , just attack, I think, like I said , I was just a kid then.