Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Keyless Push Button Ignitions

4 posts in this topic

Have you ever seen the commercial for the Infinti with the keyless, push-button ignition? They comment how you don't need a key for the car.

I was wondering, if you don't need a key, and the car starts with a push of a button, then what prevents it from being easily stolen?

I was going to ask how this is accomplished, but then I found this article:

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/audio/art...51/article.html

Basically, the driver has a key fob in their pocket or purse, and the car senses that and allows the engine to start.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

A person on my job has a hybrid Toyota. The car has a "Proximity Key" it looks like one of those wacky VW keys, however, it stays in your pocket or purse, and instead of starting the car with it, you hit a power button inside the vehicle.

There is an actual key to use in the event that the battery inside the proximity key loses power. It is a pretty cool concept, and I have not heard of any problems or defects so far with use of the key.

My uncle has the Cadi XLR - same deal: fob in pocket +proximity = doors unlock and push button ignition. I assume that if you and the fob become separated from the car while its running, it will shut sown (ie: car jacking), but i'm not 100% SURE ON THAT.

Edited by wcr20

Yup the new Vettes have the same thing. If the key leaves the car, the car does automatically shuts down. You also have to be within two or three feet of the car for the car to unlock as well. Pretty cool device