Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

I Paid $1.99/Gal For Gas!

9 posts in this topic

While in NJ this past Saturday evening, on the way to Ikea, I stopped at the Exxon when you first get on to Route 4 after the GWB.

[attachmentid=1485]

I was so excited, I haven't paid $1.99 for gas in a long time! AND, they even pump it for you!

post-11-1162944190.jpg

I was down near Ocean City Md last week and paid 1.94 for Shell Regular. Wanted to buy a couple of gas cans and bring some extra back.

AND, they even pump it for you!

They pump it for you because in NJ, it's something like a $5,000 fine to pump your own fuel. The concept behind the law is that it supposedly cuts down on accidents similar to the Eastchester Exxon incident from a year or two ago since the gas station attendant does everything and there is supposedly less of a chance for things to go wrong. However, there is a bit of speculation as to why NJ is one of the only states that deems it illegal to self-serve your gas; one of which being that since full-serve is generally a bit more expensive than self-serve, the state will reap more of a tax benefit in manipulating the market.

Hmmm......I'm going down to Rutherford on Saturday. Maybe I'll top off down there for the return trip.

Still hovering around $2.39 in my neighborhood.

Still $2.54 a gallon at Croton Exxon this morning.

Is their gas special? Does it make you smarter?!

mellow.gif

NJ has one of the lowest gas taxes in the country, well below the nationwide average. And that's WITH the 5 cent additional tax they add at the pump because it's full serve. Hey, if they wanna pump my gas for me, that's fine. It's still a boatload cheaper than in NY. Also keep in mind how many jobs would be lost if NJ repealed the full serve only law.

Is it still only New Jersey and Colorado that have the full-serve only law?