Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert benz

Firefighting Tips And Tricks For The Nozzleman

5 posts in this topic

OK EVERYONE POST YOUR TIPS FOR THE NOZZLEMAN POSITION:

CHECK THE NOZZLE

1. IF IT IS A FOG/ COMBO NOZZLE, MAKE SURE IT IS ON STRAIGHT STREAM TWIST RIGHT TO FIGHT.

2. OPEN THE BAIL ALL THE WAY TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE AIR OUT OF THE LINE

3. CHECK BOTH AGAIN AFTER YOU HAVE STREACHED TO THE LOCATION YOU ARE GOING TO USE IT

a) TO MAKE SURE YOU DIDNT TWIST IT BACK WHILE YOU WERE MOVING IT

cool.gif to make sure you still have water, that your line is not pinched off

4. WHICH SIDE OF THE DOOR DO YOU STAY ON BEFORE IT IS OPENED?

a) IF THE DOOR OPENS TOWARD YOU STAY ON THE LOCK SIDE

cool.gif IF THE DOOR OPENS AWAY FROM YOU STAY ON THE HINGE SIDE

5.ALL MEMBERS SHOULD BE ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE LINE

6. NOZZLE SHOULD BE 12 TO 18 INCHES IN FRONT OF YOU WHEN OPERATING

Benz good post .I would also recommend 1-consider where your path of egress is - at all times. 2- advance the line on 1 knee not 2 , keep yourself in the ready position.With u as the nozzle man u can sweep with your foot in front of u for holes,stairs and other obstructions.

Bob, Your insights are always appreciated.

I would add the old standby when you open the door "stay low & let it blow". Don't rush in right after opening the door.

1) Costantly hit the floor especially if your using a straight tip to cool it to prevent leg burns. This was a constant injury yrs. back to FDNY members. They had alot of guys getting burns to their kneecaps. In addition to cooling the floor constantly, they told their members to rest their back leg at the knee on the hoseline, keeping their front leg also bent up at the knee.

2) Stay in a squat position with you front leg outstretched to check for holes and your body weight on your back leg.

3) Always have your hand on the bale so if there's any backpressure, your hand will automatically shut the nozzle down.

4) Also, if your nozzle has a flush position on it like all of the TFT adjustable nozzles, dont forget to use it after use to flush out any debris which can cause a defective stream. This will be evident next time you use it. I've had guys tell me a nozzle is defective, until I tell them to adjust it to the flush position for a few seconds, and then switch back, after which to their surprise they have a perfect stream. It's there for a reason, use it!

5) Closing a smooth bore half way will provide a coarse enough stream to perform hydraulic ventilation out a window.

6) When using a fog steam to vent the stream should be @ a 60 degree angle covering 85%-90% of the window, and 2ft back from the window.

7) Use your head when stretching a line with regards to fire location. Don't stretch 100'-200' of hose thru the front door and to the top of the basement stairs for a basement job or to the 2nd fl landing for a 2nd fl. or 3rd fl. job and then call for water. I can't tell you how many times I see this done with the end result being no water, and no line advancement due to the numerous kinks and one big pile of $hit in the hallway. Again, use your head (common sense) when stretching the line with regards to how many lenghts, where to stretch and how to stretch the line. You don't want to stretch too short, but you also don't want to stretch too much line which will have the same negative effects.

Edited by TPWS