Followers 0
robert benz

Tips And Tricks For Forcible Entry

11 posts in this topic

1. try before you pry

2. determine which way the door swings toward you or away from you

3. what are the door and jamb made of wood, steel or a combo of both

4. what tools do you have to do the job with? irons or rabbit / hydra ram

5. irons, (halligan and flat head axe or maul) use the fork end of the halligan to strike the door about 2 inches from the lock side of the door from bottom to top as hard as you can. may loosen up the door locks to get easier access ie:cause a gap to form from the strikes,gap the door using the adz end of the halligan again from bottom to top, by now you should know which lock or locks are engaged, setthe forks about 6 inches above or below the locks, and this is where debate comes in bevel to the door or bevel to the jamb i have seen it used both ways i like bevel to door, unless i cant get the forks to get a good bite in the door,

NOTE bevel to jamb might get you into the door easier but itgives you less leverage to force the door later.

strike the adzend of the halligan with the flat head or maul holding the striking tool perpindicular to the halligan no baseball bat swings, until the halligan is set push the tool hard and fast towards the door and with any luck it will pop.

be sure to secure the door somehow rope around the handle or better yet grab the bottom of the door with the halligan you already have in your hand. thats all i can think of my head hurts

When forcing a door to a fire apt. and the door opens towards u the control man (closest to the door) should use his foot closest to the door as a pivot . When u "pop" the door and keep that foot in position it will keep the door from flying open and u winding up in the %*&$. CONTROL THE DOOR!

- With multiple locks pop the top locks first (if possible) this way your not working w/ as much blowing out on u. This is not always poosible but w/ it is u should have better working conditions for the lower locks.

1) Communicate with your partner

2) Only swing the axe/maul when the control man says "HIT" Hold up when he says "STOP" The jobs harder to do with busting fingers or wrist

Edited by ECLEMENTE

When using the Hydro ram or rabbit tool set either in the door. Give as many lever pumps as necessary so that it will hold itself in the door thus freeing up your hands. Accomplish any other tasks. One or two more pumps and your in. If the door opens outwards think about the hinges but also think that its a storage or custodial closet. In a public hall of an apartment building its prob. a storage closet used by the super. to store everything. Once I came across a outward opening door in a hallway. It was once a storage room. It was so big it was turned into a studio type apartment. It even had a window. But that was very very rare.

If the outward opening door is on the exterior look for the bolt heads that hold the panic bar. Look for the bolt heads that hold a slide bolt. Strike the door around the perimiter to create gaps and find the weak points. Then choose you method. The hinges might not be an option since its on the exterior and are probaly hardened and welded as to not remove the pins.

Always indentify what the lock is. Then which ones are locked. If you practice your technigue you'll always have the keys to any door.

Who's responsible for bringing in the Hydro Ram or Rabbit Tool on your job?

Who's responsible for bringing in the Hydro Ram or Rabbit Tool on your job?

If your job is to force entry then you should bring what you'll need. Maybe the owner gave you a key? So bring that. Maybe you'll have to cut pad locks...better bring the saw(Aluminum Oxcide) or the duck bill. Maybe you have to force metal doors, so the hydra-ram would work best.

Point is you have to think what your up against and bring the right tool. If you can't look at a building a figure it out then its time to do more training. Don't bring a knife to gun fight!

999. Get rid of those shiny, piece of $hit, paratech hooligan bars. Or put them in the closet for your parade wagons. Give me forged steel, or give me death.

Why?

If you compare the construction of the paratech to forged halligans, you can notice significant differences.

1. The fork on the paratech has no curve to it, and the point isn't as fine, it also rapidly gets thicker as it approaches the shaft. This requires more force to get it into the gap and it loses leverage against the jam.

2. The adz also on the paratech is straight, where a halligan it is curved. It also gets thicker towards the shaft at a greater rate then the halligan and the point is not as fine here either. Again, causing loss of leverage and the ability to use the curve to your advantage when forcing the door to manipulate the tool around the jam.

Question-- mask on or mask off when forcing the fire apt door?

Question-- mask on or mask off when forcing the fire apt door?

My opinion - if it isn't already on because of smoke / heat conditions in the hall, then put it on prior to popping the door. The rush of air, heat and fire can come at you too fast to have to fumble for your air.

My opinion - if it isn't already on because of smoke / heat conditions in the hall, then put it on prior to popping the door.  The rush of air, heat and fire can come at you too fast to have to fumble for your air.

i like to wait till you pop the door, better visability, etc. take the halligan and grab the bottom of the door as soon as it is popped, yeah you could take a feed but what if the fire is 3 rooms away not as much of a problem then. how to tell if the fire is right behind the door, open the nozzle on the top part of the door if it sizzles like a hot griddle ya might want to mask up first

Another thought...

Sometimes you can actually get a little purchase on the door near the jam. If you can sometimes you luck out and can see what's going on behind it before pulling or pushing it open.

On our Hydra-Ram we keep a piece of webbing...about 36" with a simple loop in it to grab the door knob so when we pop it, it doesn't fly open on us.