Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scottyk107

Roof hook, pike pole, all purpose hook, etc.

15 posts in this topic

Whats the diffrence in function between a roof hook pike pole and all pourpose hook? They all look the same but have really only seen pike poles used. What are the diffrences in their functions?

Edited by Scottyk107

If they are what I'm thinking you're asking about, nothing really except I prefer the "roof hook". The ones with a steel shaft and thicker head without the sharp point. The shafts don't give as much so you can get good pentration and ease breaking windows, pushing ceilings from above through the vent hole, and I've had a much more efficient time blasting through plaster and lath with wire mesh with it as well.

yea thats the roof hook I am talking about with no point. yea that is true with all of the pike poles being wood, fiberglass, or a composite it seem much eaiser to get leverage on an all steel shaft. thanks for the info

i personally perfer the new york city hook...... i think it pulls sheetrock easier thats just my opinion

Edited by goon16

i personally perfer the new york city hook...... i think it pulls sheetrock easier   thats just my opinion

NY Hooks are great for pulling down drywall or breaking windows but on a roof they stink. My opinion. If there is heavy smoke pumping out of your cut and you didn't get a 100 % cut then its hard to use a NY hook do to the shape of the head. I like to bring a regular pike pole because of the sharper point.

One of my favorite tools is the Trash Hook. This tool pulls, pushes and breaks, more material than any halligan or hook, whether working inside or outside doing Overhaul or Ventilation, especially Roof Ops. The wider and heavier base allows you to pull, push and break more material than any halligan, axe, hook, etc... Just take a look at any LAFD or some other California FD videos and pics. and you'll see alot of their truck co. members carrying these Trash Hooks, especially on the roof for ventilating purposes. Sometimes I think because the tool is labeled for overhaul purpose only with regards to dumpster fires, hence "Trash Hook", many members think they can only use such tool for these purposes only. No way! This is one of the most versatile tools around, so if your Dept has it, use it, and not just for dumpster fires. I think you'll be quite impressed. If your Job doesn't have them, think about purchasing them, especially before your next Boston Hook.

I love the tradition ctity style hook, but at times it can be quite cumbersome and awkward. What I would really love to have is the 4 foot model with the shoulder strap attatched to it, if you have never seen check out www.thefirestore.com and its in the tool ssection.

Whats the diffrence in function between a roof hook pike pole and all pourpose hook? They all look the same but have really only seen pike poles used. What are the diffrences in their functions?

The diffreence is the new york roof hook is all steel and the bottom is tapered for the purpose of prying a locked blukhead door open from the roof top. this enables one tool to be carried that can be used for ventilation & forcible entry.

I still prefer the NY hook for roof ops. To me the weight of the head and the steel shaft is more substantial for breaking roof decking material if need be. My first choice is a flat head axe then a halligan.

I still prefer the 6' for roof ops. The 4' might come up short when pushing through once the hole is completed. Plus the 6' gives better leverage when prying bulkhead doors, scuttle hatches and skylights.

For FAST if they can be maneuvered, I like the 8' model, when getting someone up through a hole the 8' gives you an additional foot on either side, some holes don't always fit the 6' parameter. Plus if its a smaller hole and you some assistance in pulling if gives the option of getting 2 persons on each side. Same thing when using 2 of them as a stretcher, the extra length makes it easier.

NEW ROCHELLE USES ALL THE BASIC HOOKS AS FOLKS HAVE DESCRIBED, HOW-EVER THE OUTSIDE VENT GUYS USE THE BOSTON FD JAKE RACK, WHICH BREAKS OUT ALOT OF GLASS IN ONE SHOT OR CAN PULL STORM WINDOWS,DOULBLE HUNG OR EVEN THERMAL PANE WINDOWS RIGHT OUT OF THE SASH. (jake rake features large goose neck hook and can pull alot of ceiling also.)

ALSO WELDED TO THE SIDE OF THE JAKE RACK POLE IS AN EYE TO WHICH A HALLIGAN TOOL CAN BE ATTACHED BY A LIGHT CHAIN AND THE COMBO CAN BE USED AS A MACE TO SMASH-OUT WINDOWS FROM THE FLOOR ABOVE OR FROM THE ROOF.

I have never heard or seen the boston tool anyone have a link to a pic?

We're carrying the following hooks now.

Two 6' Steel NY Roof Hooks

Two 8' Steel NY Roof Hooks

One 3' Fiberglass Pike Pole w/ D-handle

One 3' Fiberglass Pike Pole

One 8' Fiberglass Sheetrock Hook

One 6' Fiberglass Pike Pole

The steel hooks were a recommendation I made when we got the new rig. Its great for the FAST plus gives us something more versatile and stronger for pulling and smashing things. Some of the fiberglass crap out there is a joke and shouldn't be used for anything more then pulling crap off shelves in the firehouse.

In reference to the Boston hook, there is a good picture of it and description on Firehooksunlimited.net web page. You will also see the SanFrancisco hook, Eckert tool, Providence hook and the New Yorker hook, as well as some others.

NY Roof Hook

user posted image

Drywall / Sheet Rock Hook

user posted image

Boston Rake

user posted image

New Yorker Hook & National Hook (Pike Pole to me)

user posted image

Edited by Remember585

NY Roof Hook

user posted image

This is the NY Roof hook if it is the all aircraft steel model with the pry end. With the FG shaft it's the All Purpose Hook. The combination roof hook has the NY end wit the Boston rake at the other end.

Our new TL carries:

4-6' NY roof hooks

2-8' all purpose hooks

2-6' Boston rakes (Boston jake rack?)

1-6' San Francisco hook

1-6' Eckert Hook

2-14' New Yorker tipped FG pike poles

2-10' New Yorker tipped FG pike poles

2-8' New Yorker tipped FG pike poles

1-36" Griff Hook (NY Roof hook with strap)