Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sr71

united nations fire brigade?

14 posts in this topic

i went to the united nations today and the tour guide sead that they have there own fire brigade. i was wondering if any of you guys had any info on this and if they need help they call the fdny right? of course

thanks

sr71

Edited by sr71

i went to the united nations today and the tour guide sead that they have there own fire brigade. i was wondering if any of you guys had any info on this and if they need help they call the fdny right? of course

thanks

sr71

All high rise bldg have a fire brigade it is bldg maintenance staff and security personnel. Under the oders of the Fire Safety Director again all high rise bldgs must have one. Check local law 5 from the Rules of the city of NY.

Hope this helps.

what kind of equipment and training would they have?

what kind of equipment and training would they have?

They are trained to put small fire with can's and to evac the bldg. They may have some type of SCBA but not sure. FDNY goes on the alarm from the central station as it is activated just like all class 3 alarms in the city.

All high rise bldg have a fire brigade it is bldg maintenance staff and security personnel. Under the oders of the Fire Safety Director again all high rise bldgs must have one. Check local law 5 from the Rules of the city of NY.

Hope this helps.

Is the UN property subject to NYC laws? I always thought the property was considered not part of the US. But I just found this on the web and I guess I was wrong about that:

"The UN buildings are not considered separate political jurisdictions, but do have certain aspects of sovereignty."

I wonder if the fire codes are one of the aspects of sovereignty.

Yes they must follow all codes of the city. They are in the planning stages of redoing the bldg to be fitted with sprinklers (entire bldg) and many other upgrades to comply with the newer codes.

Cpage.. The UN does not have to meet code... This is also the case with many buildings in the City. World Trade Centers were one of them. Another was the Schomberg Plaza Fire. Federal funded building, didn't have to meet city code. Resulted in many deaths.

As far as the UN Fire Brigade, they have a very good operations.

Most of the security Staff are trained EMT's and Firefighters. They have full gear with SCBA's and even have a fire Engine on location. The Fire Engine is in a location that would never be visable to the public and would be very rare to see it in public view.

UN staff takes care of the building on a daily basis. When needed FDNY goes in and will back them up. FDNY also provides Fire Attack Teams during the GA and foot response teams during some events.

does anyone know what kind of apparatus they have? or better yet a pic? Sounds like a rare pic to have

By technicality when the FDNY arrive at an incident at the UN they have to ask permission to enter. This more or less has been waived. As for building codes, there are so many different sets of codes that depending on who's building it is would depend on the codes. The Port Athority of NY who owned the WTC as well as the sourounding buildings had one code. The Customs Building had to go by federal codes. Federal Plaza in NYC goes by Federal Codes. The MTA has their own codes as well. I'm not sure but I think the state buildings have to go by state codes. Then of course there are the NYC codes. confused yet? My father was a civil engineer and years ago explained this all to me. Some of it nmay have changes in the last 20 years, I'm not sure.

its good if you want to travel. both job openings are for worldwide service, not for the Fire Brigate in NYC.

they used to bring their rig up to the BC Fire Academy every June, but they havent in at least 5 years. its the only private location rig in NYC that I havent shot.

does anyone know what kind of apparatus they have? or better yet a pic? Sounds like a rare pic to have

when i went there last week, and the tour guide told me that they had an engine on site i started thinking mabey its a ex fdny seagrave? or a old fdny mack? or a quint.

i was wondering if any one had any pics of it or any info on what kind of apparatus it is.

thanks

sr71

It's a small mini pumper..

Here is some info on it.

It's a Ford two door cab.

Roll up doors on the box.

Small hose bed on top behind the cab.

Rear mounted pump.

No light bar on the roof.

The keep it at the "Fire Station". May not look like a Firehouse to us, but they do have a "Fire Station" on the grounds of the UN. Once again it's in a secure location so you will never see it.