Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Definition Of Truck And Engine

10 posts in this topic

A "truck" is a fire apparatus with ground ladders and an aerial and maybe a pump,an engine is a fire apparatus with hose,pump water tank. many do not identify them as mentioned. this can cause some confusion on the fireground etc. any thoughts?

I think it all depends on what the department lingo is. If the guys on your job know the diffrence between a "truck" meaning an aerial or a truck as in something with wheels that moves. I think it is more common to know that a truck is an aerial in a department that is more urban and uses the more slang. Over the radio I think they should be called what is on the side of the truck ie: Tower 1, Ladder 2, Engine 6 so that there is no confusion and in the event of mutual aid there are no mix-ups

i think it depends on the dept. at mine we call our apparatus by there apparatus number for example "get the gell blanket out of 32". 32 is our first due piece and its a engine. or " get the tarps out of 30" thats our ladder

but when we run mutal aide we have the tendency to say engine or ladderand or truck, and rescue so thers no confusion.

Edited by sr71

Around these parts, we mainly stick with "ladder" and "pumper", it helps keep any potential confusion to a minimum.

I'm just gonna explain out the way I think apparatus should be called. smile.gif

A truck is any heavy motor vehicle with two or more axles with six or more wheels due to size and weight.

Any truck that is a triple combination should be called an Engine (traditional name) or Pumper (more descriptive)

Any truck that is a quadruple combination truck (pumper, water tank, hose, NFPA full compliment of ground ladders) should be called a "Quad"

Any truck with an extending and elevating aerial device more than seventy five feet working height should be called a ladder or tower ladder depending on the configuration. They may also have a pump and be called Quints also. What about reverting back to "Hook & Ladder" like the old days?

Any elevated water delivery or master stream device that is less than 75' and is mounted on a pumper should be called an Engine or pumper, or even Squirt or Telesquirt.

Rescue should be a truck with specialized equipment for the sake or extricating patients / victims to saftey and carry extra firefighting equipment for department members. Squads can also be acceptable but I tend to lean to the use of Squad if there is some sort of pumper (at least 500 gpm or higher) installed on the truck.

If it is an air filling unit, AIR or MASK is OK with me. If it has no fire fighting, rescue capability it should be Support or Service.

Ambulances are Ambulances, not rescues.

Marine is just fine for water rescue boats.

Forestry and Brush are the same thing

Any truck that carries water to fires without a pump (1500 gallons or more with porta-ponds) is a Tanker. Engine-Tankers or Tanker Engines should have a 1000 gpm pump and at least a 2000 gallon water tank with a dump valve and porta-pond.

I think it is easier to describe what the apparatus' main function is that just giv eit a generic term. "Truck" seems to be used for everything and you sould be able to tell what kind of unit is responding to you.

No brain cells were hurt in the thinking of this, but if this was a Friday night, Break out the Jim Beam!!!! tongue.gif

I'm just gonna explain out the way I think apparatus should be called.  smile.gif ..............................

Or Bus! laugh.gif

A "truck" is a fire apparatus with ground ladders and an aerial and maybe a pump,an engine is a fire apparatus with hose,pump water tank. many do not identify them as mentioned. this can cause some confusion on the fireground etc. any thoughts?

Obviously there is confusion because a real TRUCK does not have a pump!!! LOL!! laugh.gif

Umm, out west they are called rescues, and our idea of a heavy rescue out west is a big @$$ wrecker." (See LAFD HR56)

I'm just gonna explain out the way I think apparatus should be called.  smile.gif

A truck is any heavy motor vehicle with two or more axles with six or more wheels due to size and weight.

What about reverting back to "Hook & Ladder" like the old days?

Growing up, I always equated "Hook and Ladder" with a tiller (TDA), mainly because that's what the one in my city was called. Had it right in the company name, too.

Furthermore, I've never had anyone "correct" me for saying "That's a sharp looking TRUCK" when referring to an engine/pumper. We all know it's a "truck", as opposed to a CAR...LOL!

And, as for the ambulance subject.....bus, meat wagon, bone box, gut bucket...it's all good! biggrin.gif