Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do you decorate your firehouse for the holidays?

18 posts in this topic

Heres a quick video of the truck driving by...

one word says it all, awsome. great job to all of the members at long hill who must have put a lot of time into this. looks great guys.

yeah the lights look amazing. How far away from westchester are you guys?

thats it, you guys over there at the Long Hill FD win my "sweetest sh*t" award...congrats. but seriously, guys you did a great job on that

thats it, you guys over there at the Long Hill FD win my "sweetest sh*t" award...congrats. but seriously, guys you did a great job on that

yeah the lights look amazing. How far away from westchester are you guys?

We're probably a little under an hour from the NY/CT border if you took the Hutch to where it turns into the Merritt Parkway (rte 15). Were exit 48 off the Merritt in Trumbull.

thanks maybe I'll make the drive one day soon to check it out

Don't worry about it Steve you can use my video no problem. Hold on..... Yea matt said you can use his too! Just playin.

Edited by Ltgreg

We're probably a little under an hour from the NY/CT border if you took the Hutch to where it turns into the Merritt Parkway (rte 15).  Were exit 48 off the Merritt in Trumbull.

Actually from the intersection of the Hutch and the Cross Westchester (287) it's just a little over 1/2 hour up the parkway (at least the way I drive). As mentioned above the Hutch becomes the Merrit when you cross the state line into Connecticut. Get off at exit 48 (stay left), go to the first traffic light (Chestnut Hill Road) and make a left up the hill just before the light. Follow Chestnut Hill to the end and make a left onto Madison Avenue, the firehouse is just up on the right (I'm sure you won't be able to miss it). Safe driving and happy holidays.

What can I say. I just watched the video with the music score added to it and I am truely impressed. I can see, that all involved have taken alot of time to plan it and get it working just right. I now have to come and see it in person. Again, let me say great job and have a safe holiday and a successful toy drive.

Christ Eckart, why can't you put this much effort while you're at work. You def need a girlfriend laugh.giftongue.gif

A Bright Shining Light:

Firehouse creates dazzling light display

user posted image

GENEVIEVE REILLY greilly@ctpost.com

Article Launched:12/08/2006 10:09:05 PM EST

TRUMBULL, CT — They could have gone with a few simple wreaths. Maybe a string of colored lights here and there.

But volunteers at the Long Hill Fire Department had a much brighter idea for celebrating the holidays, bedecking Fire Station 3 at 4229 Madison Ave. with a dazzling light display that even out-megawatts Chevy Chase in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation."

The firefighters highlighted the entire firehouse with the holiday bulbs, and the decor extends to one of their trucks.

user posted image

If that weren't enough, when visitors pull up to enjoy the eye-popping display, they can tune their vehicle's radio to 101.5 on the FM dial to hear music synchronized to the animated light show.

All told, there are about 18,000 lights on the firehouse and another 1,250 on the firetruck.

"That's really something to see when they get that started," firehouse neighbor Anna Maniscalco said of the lighting extravaganza. Maniscalco said she gives the volunteers credit for all the work that goes into the display. "I don't need to put any lights up here," she said with a laugh. And giving directions to her house isn't a problem once the lights go up.

"We started doing this about 10 years ago," Alex Rauso, assistant Long Hill fire chief, said, "when I was a captain." Rauso's early efforts have exploded into a display that not only lights up the night, but also helps draw attention to the fire company's annual toy drive benefiting the Trumbull Social Services Department.

"It takes about two weeks to do the house and another week to decorate the truck," Rauso said. The display lights up daily at 6 p.m. and runs until midnight through Christmas. Rauso said the first lights were purchased with about $100 from the fire district and donations from the volunteers.

"We've built it up each year," he said. This year, GE donated lights to the fire company. "It's a lot of work," Jay Leos said, "but it's all worthwhile and a lot of fun."

The volunteers have also added another fundraising twist to the holidays.

Trumbull residents can have Santa deliver a gift to their home via the decorated firetruck for a $40 donation to the department. Participants provide the wrapped gift to be delivered.

The highlight of the holiday season, though, is Long Hill's Fill A Fire Truck event today from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. at Station 3. The firefighters will collect new, unwrapped toys that will be given to Social Services.

Santa will be on hand with beverages and treats available. There will also be a raffle with a Gearbox Volunteer Fire Department pedal car delivered to the winner's home by Santa on the firetruck as the grand prize.

"It's a little chaotic leading up to this week," Leos said, "but it's a blast."

user posted image

For more information about the firehouse lighting display, the toy drive or scheduling a toy delivery, visit www.longhillfd.com .

Genevieve Reilly, who covers Trumbull, can be reached at 330-6256.

I saw 203 at he White Plains Road Texaco a few days back, and I love the strobe snowmen on the back! tongue.gif

PS how the heck did you do that Ecky with S-3's light show??????

Edited by IzzyEng4

I saw 203 at he White Plains Road Texaco a few days back, and I love the strobe snowmen on the back! tongue.gif

PS how the heck did you do that Ecky with S-3's light show??????

its a long hill secret! i can tell ya but then i have to kill ya!! tongue.gif