Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfitz2004

Advice for a Probationary firefighter?

20 posts in this topic

What advice can you give a Probationary firefighter? I just finished my Firefighter I class in November. What course should I take?

I would say a good class to take is firefighter survival, or firefighter 2. I just take as many classes as possible to keep my trianing up to date. As for advice for a probationary firefighter... Go to a lot of calls, help out and try to learn as much as you can. Dont be afraid to ask questions.

I dont have much experience yet either, but I try to make as many alarms as I can, whether it is for my company or not (depends on your depts sog/p's though I guess) and I try to make as many dept drills as I can. Hopefully I can take an FF1 class in the spring or summer.

survival, FF2, F.A.S.T., truck ops, both building construction classes being combustable and non combustable are very good as well. vehicle extrication (AVET)

Thanks for some of the advice. I just want to know if anyone has set goal that they want to accomplish in the fire service. I have two goals. 1. To make me a better person in two ways first is to develop betters leadership skill, second to become a better team player. 2 goals is to become a career firefighter I want to follow my grandfather how retire after 35+ years and my uncle how as been a career firefighter since 1990.

Best advice is take classes now as a volunteer learn as much as you can. and if your not 18 once you are start taking all the tests, Westchester towns n villages will be this spring, look for Yonkers Mt Vernon, white plains New Ro and even look at the Ct jobs take them all regardless of residency you may not get hired but you will get a lot of test taking experience and probably score better each time as you become more comfortable with the tests and the types of questions asked.

Also note I know many of those cities I just mentioned tests were just given but the point is take everything and anything even the PD test or dispatching tests they all are based upon the same principles.

FAST should be the last course you look at taking compared to the others on the list. You need to reinforce your basic skills through experience and additoinal courses before you get to FAST. Take survival, take truck company ops, take FF 2, take AVET but wait to do FAST it will help you get more out of the course if you give it some time.

ALS good advice save F.A.S.T. for later go for the ff2 survival, truck co ops.

then look for intro to fire officer, fire officer 1 then maybe fast.

good luck

aside from the courses everyone has said (which you should take) my advise is listen to the veterans.

English & Grammar?? smile.gif

Welcome to the fire service - you've already taken a step in the right direction, you ASKED FOR ADVICE!!! Just doing that is a task too difficult for many. Keep your ears and eyes open, and only open your mouth when asking a question. That was something someone once told me and I still believe to this day.

when i was new i asked questions and showed up allot ..

survival, FF2, F.A.S.T., truck ops, both building construction classes being combustable and non combustable are very good as well. vehicle extrication (AVET)

i agree 100%, all very very good classes for newer firefighters, classes wont make you a great fireman but these classes give you the fundamentals that can be applied with on the job experience

Stay low.....and listen to the firefighting veterans !

One more idea... If you are enrolled in a college, take an intro to business, intro to public administration, or intro to psychology class. All classes give you an awareness of what other people are thinking, and why things are being done a certain way. In a world of public policy, budgets, and just plain crazy people, its nice to have a little extra ammo in your pocket. A large portion of what we do pertains to dealing with people, and getting information out of them. I know they aren't directly related to the fire service, but the knowledge you gain will help you in many situations you may find yourself in as a firefighter. Just my two cents....

Most people I have talked with say that a background/degree in finance, business, or managment sets you up better then say a degree in emergency medicine or fire science. It shows that you can manage and lead and take care of your departments $$ which we know is priority. So i have to agree with mbendel take a business class or 2.

Im also a probationary firefighter. I haven't taken FFI yet, but I will this spring. I've heard that Firefighter Survival and AVET (vehicle extrication) are good classes to take, aside from going to any drills or as many calls as you can make it to, and watching and learning from the veterans.

Vol probie

or a career probie ?

career wise - dont talk just listen, keep busy all the time and have tough skin to deal with the jokes

in the end its all gooooooooooood

Big Fitz, alot of great advice to take in. Basics,Basics,Basics! Did I mention Basics? Like anything in life you need a strong foundation. You said you took FF1. Now lets advance to FF2. Once you feel confident about those skills then look into Truck and or Pump Ops along with FF survival. Don't be in such a rush to add feathers to your hat. You will need to take in as many calls as possible. Not the just ones you "want" to go to. If you have any friends on the career side try, and get together with him/her in the evening at the firehouse and pick their brains about training, "tricks of the trade" etc. You may hear guys say" a good probie is one that doesn't speak". BULLSHIT! Ask questions! You should set a goal of learning atleast 1 thing everyday/every call. Remember that nobody knows everything, they never will. Best of luck to you!

Some people told me to subscription to Firehouse magazine which I did.

Someone told me to read Safety and Survival on the fireground by Vincent Dunn which is a great textbook of a probationary firefighter like me. Thanks to all for the advice.

Some people told me to subscription to Firehouse magazine which I did.

Someone told me to read Safety and Survival on the fireground by Vincent Dunn which is a great textbook of a probationary firefighter like me. Thanks to all for the advice.

Don't forget to subscribe to Fire Engineering too.