Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trauma74

Video deemed inappropriate

24 posts in this topic

I am asking for feedback from some of the members of EMT Bravo. Here is the situation. Every year my fire company, The Trout Brook Engine & Hose Company #3 of the Chester Fire District holds our Christmas Tree Fundraiser and usually a week or two before Christmas we have a Breakfast with Santa. We also do a Santa run where we drive Santa Claus around on the Engine and hand out candy canes to the local children in our District. The tree sales and breakfast work out to be a very good way for our company to make some money.

My company has a good amount of members who are Jewish. For years they have always participated in our Christmas Fundraisers and the Santa Run. None of our Jewish members have ever taken offense to anything the company does that is Christmas related. Of my good friends Steve (he is Jewish) came up with some ideas for a joke and some good laughs. He tells our customers that aside from Christmas Trees we also Hannukah Bushes. He also tells everyone that Santa Claus has a companion named Hannukah Harry. Aside for these two things, Steve has also dressed up in our Santa suit and was Santa at the breakfast. All of the members of my company participate in busting balls about each others nationalities and their religion etc. It is never done to be mean or offensive to anyone and if the line gets crossed the ball busting stops and apologies are given.

So, a few days ago when our trees were delivered our department safety officer (who is also our webmaster) recorded the following video and posted it on our website: www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hjTBjInzqc

It was one the funniest things I have seen in a long time. Our members posted numerous messages on the site saying that they have not laughed that hard in a long time. This video was posted for several days and then an anonymous Jewish member of our department complained that the video was Anti-Semetic and degrading to the Jewish people. This member was the only one who complained about the video and against the wishes of many other members of the department the video was deleted from our department website.

The deletion of this video has touched off a firestorm within the department. Our webmaster has been getting a lot of heat for this deletion and many members (including our jewish members) are up in arms. The webmaster stands behind his decision to delete the video as he says he is protecting himself and the department from a lawsuit.

I am asking for anyone to watch this video and give me your opinion on the situation. Thanks in advance.

Edited by trauma74

I'm not Jewish, but I found it funny. Anyone who lives around New Square or Monsey would, and I just showed it to a Jewish friend of mine and he liked it. Said the accent was very good.

Was this posted in the open on your site, or behind a "Members Only" section? If it was in public view, then it's probably best to take it down. If it's on youtube, just send the link to guys who want to see it. The webmaster did the right thing, covering the dept's butt.

Edited by res6cue

I cannot see how the video was Anti-Semetic and degrading to the Jewish people.

THAT is a stretch ....

It's obviously a spoof.

Stereotypes are a part of life, people need to get used to it.

Not everything is Politically Correct.

Edited by jack10562

I found it to be funny. I am not Jewish, but there are more things in life offense to Jewish people then that video im sure.

Funny very FUNNY....I want to buy a tree from that guy.

I don't think the yiddish accent is offensive at all. Somebody is way too senseitive.

I don't see how it offended anyone it was funny!

It was funny. Anybody who would take offense to that is just ultra-sensitive.

It is funny... Oy does he deliver the Hanukah bush for you... or do I need to schlep over to your place to get one!! laugh.gif

I am Jewish and I didn't take offense by it..

Stuart

I think the video is funny but some people will say things just to put the fear into peoples mind.

I'm not jewish, and while i don't personally find offense to the video, i do see how some would. The video eludes to some of the stereotypes the jewish population has been associated with for many, many years. If the guy who was selling the bush is jewish, he does have a right to pick fun at his own religion/people/etc ( i tend to fell everyone has that right!). But, like i said - because this tends to elude to a number of stereotypes i do understand why someone would be irked. Pretty funny video regardless.

Not Jewish, but sent it to some guys who are Jewish and they found it hillarious

Was the guy that was in the video is he jewish or the guy who filmed the it was he. The guy who is crying about it should take a look at himself maybe he is inappropriate and should stop the crap. After all it is a brotherhood that jokes with everyone. Right homeboyz .

Chris

If you take offense to my post Then kiss my Irish rump.

Someone should take him to see Borat.

Someone should take him to see Borat.

You know, you beat me to it! I was going to say something along those lines. So here it goes!

In a day where people can raise a hell-storm about one man who pokes fun (or just a plain disregard for) at their own ethnic background (Borat), people have become way too uber-sensitive about some of the most stupid things.

In a place where we are, as the original author even said "ball busters" people have to take this into account, and not just fly off the handle every time someone makes a joke. If it is offensive to you, DON'T WATCH IT! If it gives a department or something along those lines a bad name (like having it on a department website) take measures to resolve such issues, but come on people, grow up. It is/was a joke. Live with it.

I thought it was funny. If you notice, you can't tell where it is really taking place other than some fire department. If this was recorded somewhere else, or even posted somewhere else, would this overreacted member be offended? My guess is no, espicially since it seems some ribbing has been taking place for years, as with any fire department, and nothing had been said in the past. Lets face it, if can't take being made fun of (and no subject is off limits) you should'nt be in the fire service.

As a Jew....I'm NOT offended..

Actually, he was pretty good. I wanted to buy a camera from him, he sounded so authentic, like a real landesman.

Mr. "I'm-all-offended", maybe you should get a life. Ya schlub.

I didnt find it offensive but I will agree that it has no place on your website if it is a publically viewed site and not just a site for the membership.

As an American I took offense to the wearing of the wreath on the head. There was no call for that...... tongue.gif

But seriously as I said earlier, the video is not offensive in my eyes, but if someone is offended we all have to remember these are the times we live in know. The Politically correct times.

As an American I took offense to the wearing of the wreath on the head. There was no call for that...... tongue.gif 

But seriously as I said earlier, the video is not offensive in my eyes, but if someone is offended we all have to remember these are the times we live in know. The Politically correct times.

Taking the wearing of a wreath offensive? But the video would not be, but you can see how some would be offended?

A wreath and Christmas tree have NO religious symbolic meaning what so ever.

Why are you offended by the wreath? then, you can be sensitive to why others are offended by the content.

In today's society, we must use good discretion.

I didn't find it too funny at all. Just my opinion.

this video is not offensive at all, i agree someone may be a little too sensitive

I found the video to be funny; somewhere along the line of a Jackie Mason-type comedy bit. He didn't use any epithets and didn't refer to anyone using negative language, so the anonymous person who complained must be pretty sensitive. But since this person complained, the right thing to do was to take it off the site; all you need is one ultra-sensitive person to take offense to something and then the likelihood of something bad happening increases ten-fold.

Taking the wearing of a wreath offensive?  But the video would not be, but you can see how some would be offended?

A wreath and Christmas tree have NO religious symbolic meaning what so ever.

Why are you offended by the wreath?  then, you can be sensitive to why others are offended by the content. 

In today's society, we must use good discretion.

I didn't find it too funny at all.  Just my opinion.

I didn't take offense notice my smile after the comment. It was a joke. I am not offended (as I said) nor is the video offensive to me, however I am one person and I am also not Jewish so I can not speak for anyone of that religion. But as you can see a joke can be taken the wrong way as tunaFish took my comment.