Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RocklandFires

Thiells(Rockland) General Alarm Fire 12/6-7 Photos

10 posts in this topic

OK Gang, here is a huge TEASER ! I gotta get to bed, gotta do something important in the AM. Still fire through the roof @ 0030 hours with 24-Tower [West Nyack], 7-Tower [Monsey] & 26-99 [Thiells] in operation as well as several exterior hand lines. This fire will be burning for a while. The building is a 2.5 Story "T" shaped 300x100 Brick. There was heavy fire on arrival ! Interior attack was attempted, but quickly abandoned due to the intense fire & heat. Good call by the officers from Dept.26 [Theills]. I will have alot more photos & videos to post tomorrow.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

wow looks like they have their hands full, so far great pics can't wait to see the rest of them

Theills Structure  Fire 12/6/2006

---------------------------------------------------

Large building in flames at Letchworth

By SARAH NETTER

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: December 6, 2006)

THIELLS - A large building at Letchworth Village is burning tonight but firefighters can do little more than watch.

Their efforts are being hampered by a lack of water at the scene, leaving many to just stare at the burning building while tanker trucks hauled water from hydrants on nearby streets.

The blaze at Stewart Hall on Steward Circle started on the second floor then spread to the third. As firefighters worked to extend hoses to the building, flames engulfed the roof, which eventually collapsed in several places in the rear portion.

Fred Viohl, fire inspector for the town of Haverstraw, said there was no immediate indication of what caused the fire, which was reported at about 9 p.m. The county's arson unit was on scene.

The building was being used for warehousing, but Viohl said he didn't know what was being stored there.

Viohl and John Kryger, a deputy county fire coordinator, said the building was going to be renovated into commercial space, including retail shopping, as part of the redevelopment plan for the former state-run center for the developmentally disabled.

Kryger said firefighters initially entered the building with water taken from pumper trucks, but were pulled out.

"It's a vacant building," he said. "There's no reason to get anyone hurt."

After 90 minutes, at least 10 fire departments had responded to the call, many called in because of their specialized equipment

Edited by TR54

There's something I will never see.

Great shots Brian, thanks for sharing!

Brian,

Great shots as usual.

The artice says that tankers hauled water from hydants on nearby streets.

Did they use LDH ( with a long stretch) at this job, or do they use portable tanks at the scene dumped from tankers?

Brian,

Great shots as usual.

The artice says that tankers hauled water from hydants on nearby streets.

Did they use LDH ( with a long stretch) at this job, or do they use portable tanks at the scene dumped from tankers?

We don't have "real" tankers here. The most water any one truck in Rockland carries is 1250 gallons, and there are only one or two of them (same dept). Many are 1000 gallons, but there are plenty of 600 or 500 as well. Dump tank operations are VERY rare here, only a few dept even have a portable dump tank. I'm sure Stony Point brought theirs last night, but I don't know if it saw any use. We do a lot of relay pumping for ops like this, plenty of 5" being laid!

Wow, as usual, great shots Brian!

I was at the Rockland County FTC for the Black Sunday presentation (which was excellent by the way) when this fire came in.

I heard Thiells (Dept. 26) go out for the Signal-10, possible structure and a bunch of their guys took off. But then there was silence for a little bit. But then i heard West Nyack get dispatched for their 24-Tower and Hillcrest get dispatched for the FAST assignment and knew trhey had a job lol!

Then, it got real crazy lol! It was like every couple of minutes more pagers would go off and the room got less and less crowded, which was good for me because i was finally able to get a seat lol!

While driving home later on, i had joked to my buddy that we should be able to see it from a high point in Rockland. With that, bam, there it was! We were northbound on the Palisades and there i saw a huge column of smoke and a whole lot of flashing lights.

From the looks and sounds of it, this was a huge job. Lots of mutual-aid, including at least one from Orange County (Fort Montgomery). Just glad that nobody was hurt (or at least not that i know of).

In total, 14 Rockland depts and 1 Orange dept either operated at the scene or were assigned for standby. Here's the rundown, off the top of my head:

On Scene Units:

Dept 26 - Thiells - full response

Dept 6 - Hillcrest - pumper

Dept 23 - West Haverstraw - pumper and rescue

Dept 18 - Stony Point - pumper

Fort Montgomery - tanker

Dept 3 - Congers - pumper

Dept 4 - Haverstraw - pumper

Dept 17 - Spring Valley - pumper

Dept 9 - New City - pumper

Dept 24 - West Nyack - tower ladder

Dept 7 - Monsey - tower ladder