Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Yorktown sign enraging locals

19 posts in this topic

News 12 just had a story on a new sign at the Yorktown Firehouse on Commerce street. The sign is one of those LED signs that has changing messages. It has a screen for recruiting, indian point siren tests, terror alerts, and the weather. Looks nice. Here's the problem.

It is in northern Westchester County. So naturally, all the "soccer moms" and "nothing better to dos" are bitching about it. "Its a distraction" they say. Know whats a distraction? People stopping in the middle of that intersection to talk to News 12!!!

I love the sign Yorktown, good luck with it!! =D>

Dear people of the Northern Westchester community,

Get a life!!! If you got that much time and energy to spend in front of that firehouse complaining, go inside and fill out an application!!

Sorry about the ranting, but I had to get that off my chest. #-o

Yeh Muns,

People don't have anything better to do than throw a hissy fit. If you can't read it and not crash, then either don't read it or you shouldn't be on the road. They try and do something good for the community and get it thrown back in their faces by a bunch of yuppy A%%$*&ES!

Why don't people stop talking on their cell phones to while they're driving 15 mph in a 30 mph zone!!!!!!

I agree with you too, cap. Too many people keep too busy minding everybody elses business and complaining about the little things that they have no time to mind their own! Wyat they don't realize is the fact that the sign may very well provide them with some important information!

LOL "Soccer Moms" - I love it!

Good Luck to YHFD, It's a nice thing to have.

Possibly the yorktown guys can work out some sort of barter with these soccer milfs I mean moms. :wink:

Supposedly its against the town code....what about all the businesses that have these huge lighted billboards....thats ok though?? Wheres the justice????? This signs for the COMMUNITY!!!!!

I don't know what the diffrence is between YHFD's "advisory board" and those stupid signs up at the intersection advertising the Yorktown Players doing "Zorba the Greek" and "Fiddler on the Roof" for about the millionth time. Or, perhaps it's the fact that people actually read the FD board? hummmm Yet another thing to ponder.

the town code dealing with signage is very unique in yorktown.

those of you that may have seen the 7-11, would notice the short wood sign, or that the McDonalds doesnt have giant arches. KFC cant put a picture of the colonel on there store. The sign is affixed to the building, and therefore is not a "freestanding sign", that would be restricted in the code.

The Town also sent an order to comply letter, improperly served to the fire district. (The company owns station 1).

In fact it is only a few elected officials that have raised issue, im sure if we were running their campaign ads on it they would think it is great.

Maybe the town should look at some of the bigger problems at the intersection.

Such as, only 2 stop signs at a three way intersection. Or possibly having the bike path as close as it is creating an additional hazard.

Simple solution to it all, putting a traffic light up with a control in the firehouse so the rigs can safely back in with out the idiot drivers swerving around them.

I'm sure the biggest complainers are only distracted by it because it's one more thing they're trying to do while driving, talking on their cell phone and reading the paper.

Don't forget wolfing down that bagel with cream cheese and that extra HOT container of coffee on the way to practice and/or work, store or the Beauty Salon.....Adjusting the radio volume or station, and of course the always "Stop acting up back there" instructions to the "little darlings" in the back #-o

steve 8)

While I doin't mind looking at a few of those soccer moms. In fact I knew a few of them before they were soccer moms. Perhaps they need to put down their cell phones in the car before they complain about a sign that has the best of intentions. Either that or flash us before you complain.

Amen to that brother....

Seems like the press loves to harp on Yorktown FD.

First the negative coverage regarding the new substation, then I heard they were interested in a story about why YHFD needed a new ladder, then the coverage about them updating their property behind the firehouse, and now this. WTF?!

Either that or flash us before you complain.

Problem is two fold there. 1) Usually people flash us the bird. 2) If you have women driving around flashing other things, you fwill likely find the car accident rate drmatically increasing. :sad: #-o

So it would be good for all, more stuff to do and to look at

What does the cost of the sign matter?

The bottom line to this is that there was nothing to complain about in Yorktown, so they found a need to take out their anger on a sign that a fire department has up to keep the community up to date on their building. Some of you are right too, its not the sign its the intersection. Have there been any accidents caused by this sign yet? If not why complain???