Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Could A WCDES Rehab Unit Be Feasible?

9 posts in this topic

One of the function that I believe that Westchester County DES is there for is support services for all the FD's and EMS agencies in Westchester.

I have many ideas that this agency could accomplish to better the fire and EMS service in this county, and here's another one.

The County has aqquired numerous of the ex-Bee Line Mini-Shuttles, and distributed them to various FD's in the county.

My idea is this. The county should aqquire, when available, one of the full size buses, and convert it into a dedicated rehab unit. Have powerful A/C and heat, have onboard water, gatorade, and snacks, cofeemaker, bathroom, and facilities for EMS medical monitoring and first aid. This could be available countywide to any department that reqests it

For larger incidents, especially in extreme weather, I feel this would be a great and versatile tool. With the talent in this county, I'm sure theres many people that would be willing to donate their skill and time to convert this bus.

The only question is, who would drive and operate it? Maybe this would be a good role for the citizen volunteer corps?

P.S. These former buses would make excellent command posts.

Its a great idea if the county wanted to come up with money. Even make two small rehab buses out of the minis. Operators of these vechiles could of course be a group of volunteers. Get a team leader or two and then alot of volunteers. Consisting of different levels of care. That these rehab units work along with the on-scene EMS. The units would be called out be the IC

Do you really think the county would need a MERV unit.

x635,

I must compliment you on your efforts with trying to get things done on a County level. Up here in Orange County we will never have luck with County-wide anything. At a County EMS meeting last year I mentioned that maybe the County should have a Special Ops Team made of up the various Volunteer & Paid EMS services around the County. The job of this team would be to provide Rehab to FDs, Tactical EMS to any PD agency in the County and to support any EMS agency for any MCI or large scale events.

I got nothing but nasty looks and some people looked at me like I had two heads. I guess it is taboo to talk about anything County-wide up here. Questions about liability and insurance came out along with a bunch of dumb comments. One agency did not like this idea because if an incident happened during the daytime hours in the middle of the week they might not be able to get an ambulance to a call if "people are playing around with this team!"

I asked the Orange County EMS Coordinator about the County getting an MCI Trailer. You will be able to figure out the answer to this question when I say that I applied for an MCI Trailer grant thru a local Senator and he gave us the grant. We are now going to be "one up" on the County. Once our trailer arrives it will be available to ANYONE in the surrounding Counties/States if needed. Our Fly Car is ready to pull it and we have our Garmin c330 GPS unit ready for a location.

That sounds like a great idea......

it would be great for some of the longer jobs that could exist especially during the summer months when temperatures can get up to 85 without a full set of gear on

nickname possibility: snack wagon

I have seen first hand what happens when you put guys on the bus at the fire scene,THEY DON'T GET OFF THE BUS!!!

I'm talking fire service REHAB......not a "snack wagon".

It's my feeling that this is often an overlooked and neglected part of the response.

Again, there is a difference between a canteen unit and REHAB! For those who don't know what rehab is, or how important it can be, do yourself a favor and read some back issues of JEMS, Fire Engineering, etc about Rehab.

Also, this would not be a MERV, as stated above, but since it is for REHAB, which EMS plays an intergral and required role in, there would be facilities and equipment for them to operate.

Rehab is a bunch of BS, it's for guys who cant hack the job and arent in shape. my father fought fires for years without any rehab in snow and the summer and never had any issues....its part of the job