Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turk182

Chief Officers and PPE

9 posts in this topic

There appear to be numerous examples of Chief Officers and Officers not wearing thier complete PPE. What do you think about this in general are the Chiefs setting bed examples for everyone. Are there any other examples that your the Chiefs Officers set or should set, good or bad.

When I was a chief I would get to the scene, grab my radio, coat and helmet before I got out of my car than do my size up. Many times I got so wrapped in the incident I didnt thinkabout putting on my bunker pants but my place was outside at the command post where I felt all PPE wasn't necessary. Wether I was right or wrong is open for debate and I look forward to other coments on this.

If the chief is not entering a hazardous environment, does he really need to wear complete PPE?

I understand what you're saying about setting an example but the chief can set a better example by instructing his subordinates to wear the required PPE for the environment they're working in and assigning a Safety Officer to make sure they do.

If the chief is going to enter a fire building or hazardous area he should absolutely be wearing the right PPE!

As a past captain, all officers should wear you turnouts whether you come on a rig and in my case come in my own car. You are looked at to have it on. I know like AsstChief said that there have been times where officers and chief wore their helmet & coat because they were away from the scene, which I have done in the past a couple of times. But at the same token, as a chief and officer you need to set an example. We had this problem with some of our department chiefs and other officers (I was spoken too early on as a Lieutenant to always have my gear on by my captain at the time while i was in charge). At our council meeting the chiefs brought up this issue of members not wearing their gear at incidents properly. Well it was the case from the rest of us of the pot calling the kettle black and we emphasized that the chiefs were not doing the same thing and they too need to be following the proper rules if they were being enforced. And of course the problem was solved right there without any argument.

When you take on the role as an officer or chief officers, you need to follow the rules to enforce them and also to set an example. If you don't wear your PPE properly or at all, who do you think the rest of the rank and file will react? Got to have it on and yes I know there are some cases were we don't need to have it on at all but that we'll save for another topic.

It is important for all to wear at least some type of turnout gear. As a chief officer or an IC, you may not be in the danger zone all the time, but you may get closer than you think at times.

A friend of mine from a city dept related a story of one of his chiefs. Their chiefs routinely don coat and helmet at structure fires. The IC decided to take a closer look before donning his gear. Well, a firefighter ventilated a window and it came crashing down on the IC. He was now a patient and no longer a part of firefighting. It is just one more example of why it should be worn.

One of the best ways to teach is to lead by example.

Any line officer should have their complete PPE on. You are "on the line" meaning you should be supervising and directing your crew(s) in and around the incident ground. How can you tell your firefighters to wear it if you are not?

If you are a chief officer and you are going to step within the collapse zone and/or inside a building no matter what the call is for, you should have your turnout gear on. How can you be a leader and stress the importance of it if you do not wear it at your leisure. And once you set that tone, do not back off. I've seen many a chief start off well and to the way side it goes. Remember...management vs. leadership, they aren't the same. As as I said above, how can you possibly say something to someone for not wearing it, if you don't?

Any line officer should have their complete PPE on.  You are "on the line" meaning you should be supervising and directing your crew(s) in and around the incident ground.  How can you tell your firefighters to wear it if you are not? 

If you are a chief officer and you are going to step within the collapse zone and/or inside a building no matter what the call is for, you should have your turnout gear on.  How can you be a leader and stress the importance of it if you do not wear it at your leisure.  And once you set that tone, do not back off.  I've seen many a chief start off well and to the way side it goes.  Remember...management vs. leadership, they aren't the same.  As as I said above, how can  you possibly say something to someone for not wearing it, if you don't?

A very good point was brought up in a previous post about management vs. leadership. The difference between the 2 is that as a manager you can make people perform duties because of the of the authority of your position. As a leader people perform tasks for you because they want to. Part of the leadership equation is gaining the respect of your peers. Respect is earned and not given. As a leader you need to lead by example. Put yourself in the position of the firefighter or lower ranking officer. If you saw a senior officer without PPE what would you be thinking? Probably would say it must be okay to wear only half your gear. Whether you like it or not your department is looking to you for guidance and direction. If you cannot provide it you are not in the right position. So whether you think it is okay or not, and this does not just pertain to gear, you need to do the right thing, and as a senior level manager you know in your heart what the right thing is.

Great topic so i might as well get in on it while its hot Unles the Cammand post is a block away the IC should have his grear on--- all of it. Cause you know as well as I do that he is going to stick his nose in to see whats happening and see if its really out or not. or to look around during over haul, Its just the nature of the Chief, so be on the safe side if you have it ware it.

well said firecapt32.i think everyone at ics sould be dressed !!.everytime i am

on a scene i get dressed.thanks