Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LED138

Used ESU trucks

10 posts in this topic

Browsing through the posts I seen that someone asked about getting used ESU trucks. My Dept. was actually looking into the idea. Anyone have info on how to get/who to call? Does NYPD donate to other organizations or are they done through an auction. I was told by a vollie FD that has one that NYPD doanted it to them... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

I would think that the NYPD would be the hardest to get a used vehicle from. However, I do recall an instance about 3 or 4 years ago where an agency bought a used larger ESU truck from the NYPD (for a very good price w/ extras if memory serves). I don't know if there was special circumstances or connections involved but I'm pretty sure the agency was Kierys Joel Hatazalah. If you don't have any luck direct w/ NYPD perhaps you could ask around w/ them.

I would think that the NYPD would be the hardest to get a used vehicle from. However, I do recall an instance about 3 or 4 years ago where an agency bought a used larger ESU truck from the NYPD (for a very good price w/ extras if memory serves). I don't know if there was special circumstances or connections involved but I'm pretty sure the agency was Kierys Joel Hatazalah. If you don't have any luck direct w/ NYPD perhaps you could ask around w/ them.

The newly formed Kiryas Joel FD Bought the Former ESU Truck 6 for use as their Heavy Rescue. Mount Vernon runs the former Freightliner Truck 3 if memory serves, New Rochelle also has two in their F.D. Fleet as Utility Vehicles.

Don't know much beyond that!

-Joe DA BUFF

White Plains PD ESU Truck 2 is a former NYPD ESU vehicle.I think they picked it up for around $1000.00.The rig looks pretty good out on the road,considering the abuse it probably took in NYC.

I know the Keiras Joel rig is a larger ESU. Im actually lookng to get my hands on one of the smallers REPs.

The way NYC disposes of their ESU trucks and the body are through the surplus auction.

These bodies are refurbished and remounted numerous times before they are actually disposed of. To get one in good condtion is quite rare, especially with the NYPD maintaining such a large pool of spares and also assigning older REPs to other uses (hazmat equipment, etc).

Here's the site:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/auctions...oauctions.shtml

And here's a sampling of whats currently up for sale:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/auctions..._bestbuys.shtml

Edited by x635

Kurias Joel's truck is the old truck #6.

White Plains recieved a fairly decent REP from NYPD. I believe from Steten Island or Queens.

Mount Vernon ESU runs the old truck #3 and truck #5 both freightliners and an older REP.

NYPD ESU trucks are kept mainly within the city departments before going out of NYC.

NYC Corrections runs the old truck #4 and an REP. OEM has something.

Generally the trucks are in bad shape and not salvagable, but there are a few that are extremely well taken care of. Many of ESU's fleet is currently being updated especially the REP's. I believe many of them have not been replaced since 2001 (9-11). The big trucks are on a 10 year replacement program and many have been converted into specialty trucks and spares unit newer Hazmat trucks start to hit the street.

So basically what I'm seeing is:

A. Dont hold your breath for something good

B. Look for other options

Edited by LED138

Ok, all you NYC buffs.

Fill the guy from the northlands in.

What is a REP?

A MALT? ESV?

I think someone covered the differences already 'tween those little Fords and the B.A. Rescues.

Thanks!!

Ok, all you NYC buffs.

Fill the guy from the northlands in. 

What is a REP? 

A MALT?  ESV?

I think someone covered the differences already 'tween those little Fords and the B.A. Rescues.

Thanks!!

REP = Radio Emergency Patrol (small esu truck) (adam 4 / boy 4 etc)

MALT = Mobile Air Lighting Technology (Giant Generator Light trucks) (Malt 4)

ESV = Emergency Service Vehicle (Jumper trucks / boat trucks) (Jumper truck)

Truck = Heavy Rescue Truck (Truck 4)

U = ESU supervisor (U-4)