Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mlfcemt093

Haz Mat Information

12 posts in this topic

Hey, just wondering what everyone knows about their Haz Mat operations, looking for descriptions on riggs, equipment carried, places of storage trailers, generaly all the information u guys or gals can provide. I think it would be interesting. I could be wrong, but I have not seen too much Haz Mat stuff talked about on here and I know people from all over are on here. Pics would be cool Haz Mat is an obscure topic

Casson Jr cool.gif

just trying to inspire some responses from everyone

Edited by partyrock

There are 6 Haz-Mat Squads in Southern Westchester comprised of 9 career fire departments.

Squad 1 - Yonkers

Squad 2 - New Rochelle

Squad 3 - Mount Vernon

Squad 4 - White Plains

Squad 5 -Eastchester/Scarsdale

Squad 6 - Fairview/Greenville/Hartsdale

Each Sqaud runs with a donated mini Bee-Line bus and an 18' trailer. I believe all members are trained to the Haz-Mat Technician level.

Outside of the county hazmat team no one to my knowledge has any kind of significant hazmat set-up.  Most go my the nextel rule...If the spill is larger then the end of a Nextel antenna at the end of an outstreched arm then you need to back up.

Not totally Correct. Yonkers FD has a Hazmat Team, Montrose VA has a Hazmat team as well as Westchester County Has 6 Squad Companies that are assigned Hazmat trailers amoung the other roles that these Squads play. the trailers contain varrious amounts of equipment including meters, suits, computers, decon, sensors and so on. Mabe some on has a full inventory of theirs.

SQ1- Yonkers

SQ2- New Ro

SQ3- FDMV

SQ4- White Plains

SQ5- Scarsdale/ Eastchester

SQ6- Fairview/Greenville/Hartsdale

SQ7-will be goin to Mohegan i don;t know if they have it yet.

There are also mass decon trailers that are being assigned if not already to

Port chester

Katonah/Bedford

Cortland

Sleepy Hollow has a decon team

Edited by calhobs

Yes, Bedford/Bedford Hills/ Katonah (Town of Bedford) sare a decon trailer and i have hurd that Mount Kisco now has one of their own but the last time we had a mass decon drill, they did not have a trailer.

Yes, Bedford/Bedford Hills/ Katonah (Town of Bedford) sare a decon trailer and i have hurd that Mount Kisco now has one of their own but the last time we had a mass decon drill, they did not have a trailer.

MDU 5 is assigned to Mount Kisco, Bedford Hills, Bedford Village & Katonah. Mount Kisco does NOT have their own.

Just curious, up to what level are the Yonkers Firefighters trained in Haz Mat?

I wish people would check the facts and make sure that the info they post is correct before even thinking about posting. Like pebbles said Bedford Hills, Katonah, Kisco and Bedford Village share a MDU trailer, it used to be kept in Katonah but it takes up a lot of room. So we moved it to the Hills but the same problem came up it was in the way. Now Kisco has it stored up at the DPW yard.

I just ask that if you are going to post about a specific department or anything involving that department you try to get the right info before posting.

Just to clear things up about the squads in westchester. The concept was developed for WMD not hazmat. Although we can usee some of the equiptment for hazmat. We are the first regional squad system in the country to comprise of different fire depts. The federal government is watching very closely to see if this works so we can ask that they start to fund for firefighters to man these squads. The government never would have invested all this money in us to go clean up 3 gallons of fuel oil spilled or an acid spill in a warehouse, that is up to the job to provide that service.

anybody have any pictures that they would like to share?