Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Forum Changes & Closing LE Forum-Your Input Wanted

12 posts in this topic

Members-

Due to lack of activity, I am considering closing or modifying the Law Enforcement forum.

If I do keep the LE forum, I would remove the password protect feature, because I can't keep up giving out the password to people, and I feel the password protect feature is causing the low activty levels in the forum. Note that other Law Enforcment forums, such as Officer.com, is open to the general public without a password. Would the LE personel be OK with it being open without a password, if I do decide to keep the forum open.

My other option is to change this forum into a "General Emergency Services" topic forum. This would include Law Enforcment, Technical Rescue, HazMat, and all other Emergency Services and others not affiliated with Fire or EMS.

I also would like to know if you think we should add, delete, or combine any of the other exisiting forums?

What do you think is the best idea? I will be acting on this soon.

-EMTBravo

I think password removal would be a good thing; there seems to be a decent number of non sworn members who have a L.E. interest and would like to discuss issues. Officers who are participating in the forum know what info is sensitive and what is not; so if everyone works on a self censorship system it should ideally work.

Don't delete it outright; maybe just open it up to everyone so there can be a more free-flowing dialogue between members.

I'm conflicted.

One member suggested to replace the Law Enforcemnt forum with a Special Operations forum, for HazMat, Tech Rescue, Rope, Collapse, Trench, and all other diverse disciplines that don't really fit into the Firefighting category. I think that is a good idea, but I want to hear from more members.

As WolfEMT suggested, another option is to keep the LE forum open with no password, and maybe it would get increased activity. Would the LE members of this forum participate if no password was required?

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT on these two ideas!

I'm conflicted.

One member suggested to replace the Law Enforcemnt forum with a Special Operations forum, for HazMat, Tech Rescue, Rope, Collapse, Trench, and all other diverse disciplines that don't really fit into the Firefighting category. I think that is a good idea, but I want to hear from more members.

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT on these two ideas!

I think that sound like a good idea.

Although I don't use the law enforcement forum, I like the idea of a technical rescue topic and keeping the Law enforcement forum as well.

Why not use both suggestions?

Why not use both suggestions?

I agree, try them both out. If the LE forum usafe increases without the password protection, then good. If not, just shut it down. The Special Operations forum would probably see alot of posts.

I like the idea of opening up the LE forum as well. As for sensitive information, well we really shouldn't be posting that in any of the forums. I think self-censorship is a good idea, it is really the solution to many of the problems faced on forums or all types over the years. As for the Special Operations forum, I like that idea also, but so many things there will have crossover between Fire, EMS & Law Enforcement, that it may be difficult to seperate those areas from some of the existing areas.

I agree, try them both out. If the LE forum usafe increases without the password protection, then good. If not, just shut it down. The Special Operations forum would probably see alot of posts.

I agree as well. Open the LE forum and create the Special Operations Forum too.

Here's what I've come up with:

We're going to give the Law Enforcment forum another shot with an open format, no password. It'll be a fresh start, with all current topics removed to respect those members who posted unders the auspices of a password-only forum. If it sees little activity within a months time, then it will be removed, but I hope it takes off this time, as I know there are many LE officers and those with an interest on this forum.

We'll also be launching a new Special Operations forum as described above.

Look for these AND OTHER forum changes later this week.

Please, give me any input you may have now......

Sounds like a good idea!

I like the idea of the new fourms