Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Do You Have A Bailout Rope?

27 posts in this topic

as we approach the 2 year mark January 23rd "BLACK SUNDAY'' out of curiousity do you have a bail out,personal safety rope.If you do did the dept issue them or did you purchase it yourself? Also are you trained to use it?

as we approach the 2 year mark January 23rd "BLACK SUNDAY''  out of curiousity do you have a bail out,personal safety rope.If you do did the dept issue them or did you purchase it yourself? Also are you trained to use it?

Recently the Greenburgh Local was awarded a grant to purchase escape rope systems for all

its members. Training is to be included in the system.

Fairview has issued personal ropes for several years along with training for same

I was given one by my dept. after i graduated the fire academy. The dept. is also in the process of getting the senior members trained so they can get ropes as well.

I did purchase my own " Gemtor Harness"(think i spelled it right)which I have my bail - out rope rigged in to for a repel set up

I bought my own. I was trained in the academy on how to use it just by doing a rope slide without a harness or decender.

My dept bought each one of us a Gemtor harness, and it provides each member with a rope.YES, we do train with the harness'.We practiced going down the pole hole,and tying off with our personell ropes.If you cant do it before you get the harness, I suggest you practice,it might one day save your life.

I have carried an escape rope for quite some time , and last year my department issued a rope and beaner to all members.

Arrow

FF Survival - Bought my own

ditto

Although, after listening to the podcast from firehouse.com with Jeff Cool, I'm not convinced that just a rope would be enough in some situations.

Yonkers trains and issues ropes and gemtors in probie school. Senior members were trained and issued the same several years ago. Training days on both are offered several times during the year if members want a refresher or to practice their use.

FF Survival Course and instructor.

Bailout rope w/carabiner..self bought

Gemtor....self bought.

Knowledge to know that I could bailout rapidly if necessary...priceless.

I like that Tommy... rolleyes.gif

I got a rope, beaner and harness. Department bought it all. My only gripe is that so many people have them, but because of their bulkiness everyone takes them out of their gear. HELLO? MCFLY? ANYBODY HOME? My helmet's bulky and heavy but I STILL WEAR THE DAMN THING! It's been said that you can only give someone enough rope to hang themself.....in this case you can only give them the rope and pray they actually carry it.

I bought my own Bail Out Rope. My Dept paid for me to take the Safety and Survival Class at CFA.

Your helmet is bulky or what it sits on? rolleyes.gif

payback is a b!tch.....(rolleyes on me) hehe

Here is a comment and question. I dont carry a bail out kit, my preference. But I do carry some rope and webbing for closing doors, hoisting tools etc. My question is this...When we deploy our life safety rope for training or an actual emergency, we wear special gloves, not our firefighting gloves to avoid getting carbon on the rope which will over time degrade the rope. If you keep rope in your turnout coat and over time expose your bail out kit to the products of combustion, wont it degrade the rope as well ?

I'm not being negative in any way form or fashion on the use of bail out kits. Just a question ? On a purchased kit, not a throw together kit, is there a care requirement.

I bring this up , because I teach a lot of classes ansd have about 10 days a year at the smoke house and maybe a half dozen or so jobs a year and as such, I clean my gear after every couple of uses and throw my tools, including my rope in a pile, never really cleaning them. I noticed that my webbing and rope get dirty even being in the pocket. So, I just wonder if a person has a bail out kit and see's a good amount of work [real fires and trainig] that we are not ruining the bail out kit and in the event need to deploy it that it does not fall apart.

Again, not being that familiar with the kits... just wondering.

Here is a comment and question. I dont carry a bail out kit, my preference. But I do carry some rope and webbing for closing doors, hoisting tools etc. My question is this...When we deploy our life safety rope for training or an actual emergency, we wear special gloves, not our firefighting gloves to avoid getting carbon on the rope which will over time degrade the rope. If you keep rope in your turnout coat and over time expose your bail out kit to the products of combustion, wont it degrade the rope as well ?

I'm not being negative in any way form or fashion on the use of bail out kits. Just a question ? On a purchased kit, not a throw together kit, is there a care requirement.

I bring this up , because I teach a lot of classes ansd have about 10 days a year at the smoke house and maybe a half dozen or so jobs a year and as such, I clean my gear after every couple of uses and throw my tools, including my rope in a pile, never really cleaning them. I noticed that my webbing and rope get dirty even being in the pocket. So, I just wonder if a person has a bail out kit and see's a good amount of work [real fires and trainig] that we are not ruining the bail out kit and in the event need to deploy it that it does not fall apart.

there are plenty of options, we issue every ff 50' of kevlar webbing, with a carabiner stored in a small bag custom made for us. it fits nicely in our pants pocket, and being in a bag it stays cleaner. Also we have training kits to use so the one you carry is always "brand new"

Elmsford Fire Dept issues 35' 8 mm rope w/carabiner to all interior firefighters

and training is done annually.

bring back the life net!!! WALTER,were they heavy? lol

x129K likes this

Our department recently received a grant that will allow us to supply all members with Personal Escape Devices.Training is included.Thanks to our State Senator Saland.

I am not an instructer , but when you use a rescue rope once , you are not supposed to ever use it again, so if you train with it , it renders the rope useless. And the one in my pocket is the same one I bought almost ten years ago, but I bet in a pinch it would work and if it did not I guess I was pretty screwed anyhow. As far as bulk it has settled nicely and actually my spare gloves and the other stuff I carry makes more bulk than the rope.

Its just like a seatbelt, dont ever want or plan to use it but...........

Arrow

After Fire Surival I went out and GOT my own a Few dollars spent on rope so i Could live in case something goes wrong. Sound to EASY.

I am not an instructer , but when you use a rescue rope once , you are not supposed to ever use it again, so if you train with it , it renders the rope useless.

Who says when you use a rescue rope for training it can never be used again?

Who says when you use a rescue rope for training it can never be used again?

When I took low angle rope rescue , I was told that the ropes once used could not be used again, or the ropes used in training could not be used for a rescue, so in fact if you train with your rope.............

my point was I carry one just in case, as I wear my seatbelt just in case.

Arrow

When I took low angle rope rescue , I was told that the ropes once used could not be used again, or the ropes used in training could not be used for a rescue, so in fact if you train with your rope.............

my point was I carry one just in case, as I wear my seatbelt just in case.

Arrow

Here is the way using/downgrading rescue rope is handled where I work:

If the front line rescue rope is used for training purposes and is not shock loaded and appears in good condition during post-use inspection it can remain front line rope.

If front line rope is used on a job it is to be cut up or downgraded to training rope. Again the determination for this is made based on findings in post-use inspection.

The bottom line is all rope use must be documented and a log kept. Also all ropes must be inspected after each use and rotated/inspected/knots re-tied every 30 days. If any rope is shock loaded cut it up. If the outer sheath is damaged cut it up. If you suspect the inner core is damaged cut it up. Always pay attention to edge protection and how the rope is being used.

As for personal bail-out rope, I have trained with mine numerous times and worn it into fires but I always inspect i afterwards. If it comes down to hanging on that rope or dying I'll hang on the rope.

Here is the way using/downgrading rescue rope is handled where I work:

If the front line rescue rope is used for training purposes and is not shock loaded and appears in good condition during post-use inspection it can remain front line rope.

If front line rope is used on a job it is to be cut up or downgraded to training rope.  Again the determination for this is made based on findings in post-use inspection.

The bottom line is all rope use must be documented and a log kept.  Also all ropes must be inspected after each use and rotated/inspected/knots re-tied every 30 days.  If any rope is shock loaded cut it up.  If the outer sheath is damaged cut it up.  If you suspect the inner core is damaged cut it up.  Always pay attention to edge protection and how the rope is being used.

As for personal bail-out rope, I have trained with mine numerous times and worn it into fires but I always inspect i afterwards.  If it comes down to hanging on that rope or dying I'll hang on the rope.

J,

I agree about the hanging on the rope thing. True about the inspection as I inspect mine and look for damage to the outer sheath. Kermantle core does not like shock, thanks for the information, and I am going to grab my training rope in the afternoon, now that you mentioned knots, I havent been practicing for some time now.

Arrow

I have to agree with ALS you might have bail out rope,bought your own or department bought whatever the case,but how many departments really train on how to use it or require there members to take FF survival? FYI there's a company that trains you on the Gemtor harness http://www.firegroundtech.com/gemtor.html

I bought my own after taking a survival course. We also train on using them.

FF SURVIVAL & FAST

BOUGHT MY OWN PLUS HARNESS

COMPANY STARTING TO TRAIN IN IT