Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x242Steve

Representing Your Department

9 posts in this topic

Recently, Seth and the other moderators of these forums have gone to great lengths to make sure that everyone who posts on this website has information in their profile regarding various information, particularly which (if any) department you are a member of.

Since September of 2003, which is when I moved back to Westchester after 4 years in Boston, I have been a proud member of the Poningoe Hook and Ladder Company of the City of Rye Fire Dept. I will freely admit that since April of 2006 I have been inactive due to a temporary re-location to Northern Westchester (I am in the process of looking for a new apartment in the Rye area now.) In these past 3+ years of involvement with the Fire Service, I have also gained employment as a Public Safety Dispatcher with the Stamford Dept. of Emergency Communications (911/Police/Fire/EMS), beginning in October of 2005.

Having been involved with the world of Emergency Services in these capacities, I have found it appropriate to become involved with various discussions and alerts on the EMTBravo forums from time to time. I would like to think that I have used my best discretion in my writings on this website when it comes to properly representing the departments that I volunteer for and am employed by.

Quite simply: When you post on these forums, your statements are linked to the department(s) you belong to, whether you like it or not and whether or not you sign your post with a nifty disclaimer.

Recently, an active member of these forums who associates himself with one of the departments that I am also affiliated with decided to share his opinion with everyone regarding the physical condition, re-designation and re-location of fire apparatus owned by that municipality. Some discussion has followed as to the appropriateness of his comments. Let me be the first to say that I have worked with this person in emergency operations and know that he is a well-trained firefighter who always gets the job done. I do not fault this individual for sharing his opinion about the physical condition of a 26-year-old pumper.

What bothered me about his post was the obviously sarcastic and negative tone that was taken towards "The powers that be [and] their infinate (sic) wisdom."

Granted, every department has plenty of problems whether they are obvious or not.

However, it should go without saying that this website is NOT an appropriate place to air grievances about your higher-ups. We all need to realize that a LOT of people read these forums. A quick glance at these boards over the past couple of days will show you that some very high-ranking officials in many departments throughout Westchester County, Fairfield County, NYC and beyond are active readers of the opinions that are often expressed here. This being said, "watching your @$$" should not be the only reason to think for a minute before you press that "Post New Topic" button. Now that you have at least one department tagged to your name when you post here, you are officially (yet un-officially) a representative of that department/those departments.

In the world of Emergency Services, there are already enough aspects of our daily professional/departmental lives that have to be handled extra-carefully to avoid injury or death, not to mention the uncomfortable social situations that can arise with co-workers and fellow members.

I could go on and on about this, but I risk sounding preachy. Sorry if I already did, I just like to try and co-exist peacefully with the people that I spend my time around, and THAT is a concept that I don't mind representing as a member of the Rye FD and Stamford 911.

Edited by 242steve

I completely agree. One of the things I had stressed to me, and I will be stressing as I teach this semster's probie class down here in AL is, how do your actions reflect on the department. We make it clear that the department name and affiliation is not something to hide behind or use to try to get yourself out of trouble. This should go for all situations, if you are in any way affiliating yourself with a department, wether you be wearing the t-shirt while in a bar and some guy insults your girlfriend, or you be reading something on Bravo you don't agree with; you should always think of how it will reflect on everyone you work/volunteer/associate with in your department and community.

Not that I really feel the need to defend my actions or posts I do feel a need to respond. If you were offended by my post so be it. There are certainly far worse things that I could say about the City of Rye Fire Department that I chose not to say just like I am not airing all the dirty laundry in this post. If you think I just hap hazardly posted you are incorrect. I had penned two or three replies that a choose to delete before even hitting the the post button because I felt they would be too harsh and cause problems. As far as my sarcasim or attitude it comes from 18 years of being with the City of Rye Fire Department, 11 Years as a volunteer and so far 7 as a career firefighter. People will proably say oh he got paid guy attitude but you are wrong I am fighting for the same things toady as I was when I was Captain of the Poningoe Engine and Hose Co. I have nothing to hide and do not think that any public fire department should be able to hide either. If there is something wrong we should all be fighting to fix it. I can only hope someone with authority reads my post and takes notice and it helps my department or some other department.

Anyways I will stop my rant here

Have a great day all

There isn't $hit that I say on here that is a reflection of my department and I do not discuss any political or operational BS in any direct light of my department. If I choose to discuss something that is of learning nature I never mention my department which there are 2 I am with. So no it doesn't relfect my department unless I choose to discuss any of the multitude of petty arguments, attitudes and minor and major problems I see in both of them.

There also isn't $hit I post on here that I don't say in person so I am quite comfortable with my posts.

I've also been taught sometimes you need to call a spade a spade. There is a right time for everything and anything. There is a time when you don't air your dirty laundry and there is time you throw it all over the street. To me it comes with who is discussing it, who brought it up, how it was handled (posted in grammar and argument wise) and I go from there.

In full agreement there, especially the right time for everything and anything part.

I actually had a post on another board get quoted in a newspaper article, but the reporter accused me of hiding behind what I thought was my well known nickname. That is one of the reasons why I make no effort to hide who I am here or on the other Fire Service related boards I post to. But that honesty does come with a price, the price is that we must always be aware of what we are saying and how it will be perceived by our departments.

However, everyone on this board should be able to realize that we are a collection of individuals and thus our posts are made as individuals. I know there are more than a few Chiefs who post here, but I try to read their posts as just one of the guys, because that’s what a forum like this is all about. The internet has allowed us to converse and debate with many more people than we likely would have otherwise.

Just as everything we do here reflects on our department(s), nothing we do here should be accepted as our department’s official viewpoint unless specifically stated as such. We need to be able to say where we are from as a matter of credibility. Just as rank, age, & experience factor into this, so does affiliation. Whatever you think about me from reading my posts here, you'd probably think about me if you met me in person.

It is true that everyone on here knows we speak as individuals. but also as said, the media can take anything we say and turn it in such a way as to shed a bad light on our department. The same, I believe, can go for people new to the boards or in a situation where they don't take things as individual opinions; they can take what is said in the wrong way, and that is how rumors start.

242Steve,

You make a good point and sometimes posting on this board, or anyother for that matter, is taken as being gospel or the view of the management of the FD you are a member of. You are correct, members need to be careful about things discussed here and the ramifications of those discussions. I recently had a post I made in the discussion about another issue come back to bite me in the a** because the people who read it did so with only one eye open and missed the point. It happens.

Here is my suggestion when you post on this or anyother board: What would you tell the Chief or Board of Commissioners when they come to you after just having been blind sided by a journalist who picked up your discussion off the board? How is it going to look in the newspapers and on channel 12 tonight? What is the public going to say? What kind of public relations nightmare awaits because of loose lips?

Just think about it. Most of you that know me know that I have no problem speaking my mind, but I ask these questions every time my fingers start typing.

A while back on an ems discussion something I had stated in a general topic which was strictly my opinion was copied and pasted by certain cowards who than mailed it attached to a letter to various govt officials. I say cowards because these parasites did not have the guts to sign thier name. This cowardly move was an attempt to bring my department down but it backfired because those whoit was addressed to were people of integrity would not honor an anonymous letter sent by cowards.

I too have no problem speaking my mind and stand behind what I say so what is stated on here should never be an issue if you are credible and telling the truth...something certain former members of my department and a couple of misinformed cowards have a tough time doing ( both you and I know who you are cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gif )

What would you tell the Chief or Board of Commissioners when they come to you after just having been blind sided by a journalist who picked up your discussion off the board?

Couple of thoughts:

1. "If it is such an issue that your concerned the public knows..why did you either still do it or not act on it quicker?"

2. Why didn't you listen?

3. Blindsided? Where have you been for the past xyz amount of time when this came up and you either...did nothing...still did something stupid?

If the above was the case...there should be no blind sided...blind siding is when you get hit with a question that you can't justify the means with an appropriate answer. If I was one of the people and I honestly didn't have any knowledge..honesty works best. "This is actually the first I've heard about this and I can assure you I am looking into it. Please give me your card and I will get back to you about the issue."