Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Defunct Ambulance & EMS Agencies

58 posts in this topic

Seth. "TransCare (1st Version)" is pretty much the same as TransCare "Current Version". Transcare in itself never dissolved. The name changed to Metro Care as part of a merging of Metro North, Metroploitan and the regional division if TransCare. a.k.a. TransCare d.b.a. Metro Care. The name may have reverted back to Transcare on the ambulances, but that was cosmetic. Transcare died off.

ABBEY RICHMOND was bought by Transcare after TransCare won the New Rochelle Contract in the Mid/late 90's. Just a little historical fact.

I can't believe nobody remembered Westchester Ambulance.

Formed by several Abbey Richmond employees back in the 1970s it operated as a privately owned agency up until 2000 when it was transfered to not-for-profit ownership under the Stellaris Health umbrella and became what is now know as WEstchester EMS. WAS was owned by the DeSimone family from Danbury CT from around 1995ish to 2000. They also own Danbury Ambulance and previously owned Nelson Ambulance out of the Bridgeport area.

Edited by WAS967

As for Regional, if memory serves, thier assets (ambulances and equipment) were bought out by Citywide. Many of the employees went over to Citywide as well.

Another one came to me...Orlando Ambulance. I know they used to handle the Yonkers Raceway prior to Empress and I think they used to cover Yonkers and possibly Mount Vernon.

Jackson Heights Volunteer Ambulance

Astoria Volunteer Ambulance

Yonkers VAC(I know others mentioned it, but I never knew it existed until last year when I started working with a guy who was a former member. Its hard for me to fathom anything in Yonkers being volunteer!)

Another one came to me...Orlando Ambulance. I know they used to handle the Yonkers Raceway prior to Empress and I think they used to cover Yonkers and possibly Mount Vernon.

When did they cover Yonkers/Mt. Vernon?

To the best of my recollection they never had either contract...

Yonkers (help me fill in the blanks here):

Yonkers VAC (existed as a "back-up" to the contract service until the mid to late 80's)

AA

Abbey Richmond ?

Empress (1986 or so to the present)

Mt. Vernon:

AA

Affiliated

Empress

Anyone remember anyone else?

I am positive that Orlando Ambulance covered the Yonkers Raceway but am not sure that they covered the city.

Scarsdale PD also had an stretcher car - i seem to remember both station wagons and possibly a suburban.

The Harrison PD had 2 low top Ford van ambulances - 1 used right up until the start of Harrison VAC, now Harrion EMS in '83.  In fact one of them was handed over to the VAC, rehabbed, and used as 3rd/4th due for a few years.  I think  the 2nd was wrecked or scrapped, and never given to the VAC.

I believe that Harrison PD might have also had station wagons back in the late '70s earily '80s, but I could be mistaken.

NYC*EMS

Yes, Unfortunately NYC*EMS ......fell victim to Rudy G and is now FDNY EMS (A sad state of affairs).

Let's see how many now-defunct EMS agencies or ambulance agencies we can list.

Please give details or dates if you have them.

AAA Ambulance (Yonkers)

Park Ambulance (Yonkers)

Metropolitan (Before Merger)

Transcare (1st Version)

Yonkers Volunteer Ambulance

I'm pretty sure it was "AA" Ambulance from the Bronx. Red and grey ambulances.....not "AAA". Does anyone else remember this?

Paul

I'm pretty sure it was "AA" Ambulance from the Bronx. Red and grey ambulances.....not "AAA". Does anyone else remember this?

Paul

I'm pretty sure you're right - there was definitely an AA Ambulance covering Yonkers in the 80's and their rigs were red and gray.

Don't recall an AAA though.

Paul

Yup, it was A-A ambulance (stood for Anytime - Anywhere) It was my first paid EMS job. I also got to work in Caddies back then! I miss that ride!

How about Associated Ambulance (out of Queens, I think)? Anyone mention them?

I remember the old "Assassinated" Ambulance as well. How about:

Keefe & Keefe

Weir Metro

USA Ambulance

Big Apple

Scully Walton

Brings ya back a bit.

Yes, Unfortunately NYC*EMS ......fell victim to Rudy G and is now FDNY EMS (A sad state of affairs).

NYC*EMS was under the authority of the NYPD before the transfer to FDNY, can't forget that.

Does Anyone Remember When The Some Of The Local Hospitals had their own Ambulances servicing municipalities. YONKERS had 3 Ambulances running out of St. Johns Riverside, Yonkers General, and St. Joseph's (Respectfully). I am not sure if the Old Yonkers Professional Hospital had one or not. LAWRENCE HOSPITAL had their own Cadillac Metor supporting Supporting Northeast Yonkers and Bronxville, Eastchester, and Tuckahoe (With EVAC only as a backup). Does anyone else remember this?

NYC*EMS was under the authority of the NYPD before the transfer to FDNY, can't forget that.

NYC EMS was never under the control of the NYPD. Prior to the merger on March 17, 1996 they were part of the NY City Health and Hospital Corporation where they started in the early 70's

NYC EMS was never under the control of the NYPD.  Prior to the merger on March 17, 1996 they were part of the NY City Health and Hospital Corporation where they started in the early 70's

Really? Then the book I have has all the wrong info in it then, thanks for the correction.

Edited by IzzyEng4

I remember the old "Assassinated" Ambulance as well.  How about:

Keefe & Keefe

Weir Metro

USA Ambulance

Big Apple

Scully Walton

Brings ya back a bit.

Ah! Scully-Walton was owned by Mr. Goldman, the same person who owned A-A. Brings me way back!

Wasn't Big Apple the one who had the black ambulances with the yellow stripe and connected to some security firm?

Really?  Then the book I have has all the wrong info in it then, thanks for the correction.

Medic 5274 is correct. NYC*EMS was under HHC. The only time NYPD had any affiliation with EMS was Pre-911 (the phone #, not the date) when the precincts used to get the calls for help directly, then would call the local hospital to dispatch an ambulance.

I remember the old "Assassinated" Ambulance as well.  How about:

Keefe & Keefe

Weir Metro

USA Ambulance

Big Apple

Scully Walton

Brings ya back a bit.

Keefe & Keefe used to allow the EMT's to use the ambulances as take home vehicles if memory serves me correctly.

Edited by x710

well out of upstate was elliots ambulance which used to be middletown ambulance service , horton ambulance which used to provide hospital based paramedics until mobile life support started and ambassador ambulance out of the bronx which was ran with empire state ambulance

Edited by latemedic39

Metro North Ambulance & United Ambulance (Now part of Transcare)

Freedom Ambulance (Out of Morris St - Yonkers?)

Yonkers Police Ambulance

I remember the Yonkers PD "E-rigs" that were paramedic "fly-cars" before they were as fashionable as they are now... Did they actually operate any ambulances, though? I don't remember that, when was it?

Back when YPD used their E-Rigs as Quasi "Fly Cars" it was during the era when each of the Hospitals in the area had their own Ambulances. Lawrence Hospital had their own (I believe it was a Cadillac Metor), St John's Riverside had their own, as well as St. Joseph's. These ambulances were manned with a Driver (probably not a certified EMS Tech) and a EMT. YPD would call the Hospital ER of the Closest Hospital to where the call would come into and then that respective hospital would dispatch out their ambulance for the call. (I remember that Lawrence Hospital would have their ambulance quartered in the Exxon Gas Station across the street on Palmer Road)

Back when YPD used their E-Rigs as Quasi "Fly Cars" it was during the era when each of the Hospitals in the area had their own Ambulances. Lawrence Hospital had their own (I believe it was a Cadillac Metor), St John's Riverside had their own, as well as St. Joseph's. These ambulances were manned with a Driver (probably not a certified EMS Tech) and a EMT. YPD would call the Hospital ER of the Closest Hospital to where the call would come into and then that respective hospital would dispatch out their ambulance for the call. (I remember that Lawrence Hospital would have their ambulance quartered in the Exxon Gas Station across the street on Palmer Road)

So the Yonkers PD never operated AMBULANCES, right?

I remember the E-rigs (predecessor of today's ESU) when they still had paramedics and AEMT-3's (remember THEM?) on them and they still performed ALS when necessary. They were still doing ALS when the contract ALS provider was delayed or unavailable due to multiple calls.

Back in those days, Yonkers had TWO ambulances - one east and one west. Anybody know how many cover the City today?

Correct. YPD never had their own fleet of Ambulances. Now, we are going back to the "PRE- AA" and "PRE-ABBEY RICHMOND" and "PRE-EMPRESS" era in Yonkers. (Even Pre-Yonkers Volunteer Ambulance Corp). There were 3 Ambulances that served Yonkers. One from St. Josephs, that covered Southwest Yonkers and some parts of South East Yonkers, one from St. Johns Riverside, that covered Northwest Yonkers, and parts of Central Yonkers, and one from Lawrence Hospital, that covered Northeast Yonkers and parts of South East Yonkers (as well as Bronxville). YPD used "Station Wagons" (Blue and White Color Scheme) back then, as part of their E-Rig Fleet (Before they got Trucks). Usually, one of the 2 YPD E-Rigs (or E-Wagons) would go out on the call with one of the 3 Ambulances. In certain cases, back then, the Old YFD Mack B Rescue Truck would be dispatched to help out (this up until 1976, when YFD R1 was taken out of service and decommissioned due to the Budget Crisis in Yonkers back in 1976).

So the Yonkers PD never operated AMBULANCES, right? 

I remember the E-rigs (predecessor of today's ESU) when they still had paramedics and AEMT-3's (remember THEM?) on them and they still performed ALS when necessary.  They were still doing ALS when the contract ALS provider was delayed or unavailable due to multiple calls.

Back in those days, Yonkers had TWO ambulances - one east and one west.  Anybody know how many cover the City today?

During the day, at most there are 5 ALS rigs but usually a few of them are on transports and up to maybe 7 BLS (but they are almost always on transports).

The overnight is 3 ALS and 1 BLS.

Keep in mind that at any given time these units are also responding into Mt. Vernon and the Pelhams.

APPROVED... bought by the swooshy star empire and renamed Emergacare LLC

The seals for the narcotics STILL say approved on them

Richards Ambulance 90s

Decker's Ambulance ??

Southern Columbia Ambulance