Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TRUCK6018

Fire Horns - Nuisance or necessity?

33 posts in this topic

Seth, I can't say I don't agree or see your point. But that isn't always realistic as far as doing your homework to a point. I wasn't aware that my new street got as busy as it does at rush hour times. I don't like it, I accept the amount of cars, but want things to make them slow down, we are a "country" or could even be considered more bedroom now with a lot of children in my subdivision area. If you want to tell me, that the siren in the MAIN notification of your personnel, meaning they have to run to a scanner, then I'd be all for leaving it in. You are one of about 5 on here that know me better then anyone, I will not subcomb to a argument that involves the word tradition, and we are busting our rears, while they do nothing comments. Leave it in place, test it once a week, if something fails, use it. De sensitize people to it, and use it for all kinds of emergency notification.

Hudson great points. I had several arguments with a former department, who bought both incoming new chief and outgoing chief with a set of new turnout gear, including bunkers when they were only issuing occassional sets of gear to the members that only had 3/4 boots. One outgoing chief, even used money to purchase himself a set of leather boots! When for 3 years his favorite answer to any question of purchase need, even when truly needed was "they won't give us the money."

If you want to tell me, that the siren in the MAIN notification of your personnel, meaning they have to run to a scanner, then I'd be all for leaving it in.  You are one of about 5 on here that know me better then anyone, I will not subcomb to a argument that involves the word tradition, and we are busting our rears, while they do nothing comments.  Leave it in place, test it once a week, if something fails, use it.  De sensitize people to it, and use it for all kinds of emergency notification. 

It may be I worked close to 85 hours this week, but I'm confused. I don't get your statement. Which of my comments are you replying too in regards to use of the siren?

To beef up my previous comments regarding this issue, IMO, sirens are an antique. They should only be used as an backup during times of radio failure (i.e. blackout) or major emergency.

As far as traditions go, I love tradition. When it comes to Christmas, birthdays, summers, firehouse camraderie, etc. When it comes to tradition involving the emergency services industry operations, they are like reins to horses. They hold back the fire service, for the most part anyway, and they impede progress.

As far as the "we are busting our rears, while they do nothing comments"....I'm still trying to understand that one. I kinda think I feel the same way you do, I dont know what your getting at. I'm AGAINST the "I'm up, you're up" policy, except in certain cases and areas, lol.

Seth the quote you have highlighted, as well as a few other points are general statements in the thread. It was nothing directly related to any of your previous comments. Sorry should have distinguished that.