Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest MRK303

Cop Breaks Law, Tickets Self

13 posts in this topic

http://www.foxnews.com/

On the right side of the page under "FOX NEWS VIDEO...

"COP BREAKS LAW, TICKETS SELF"

I'm speechless. What do you think this guy was really thinking?

why should he get so much media attention this is ridiculas. The first thing that comes to mind is why he passed the bus in the first place? I dont think that this is the whole story

I would bet a testicle that a parent or someone saw him and it was a big time CYA move. That Is a small town and word was likely spreading like wildfire.

Well, hes a police chief so its not like he was elected. Sounds like he just did what he thought was the right thing. Why do you two seem so vindictive in your comments - as if this guy has some ulterior motive?

Wis. police chief tickets himself $235

Associated Press

KEWASKUM, Wis. - Police Chief Richard Knoebel says he wasn't about to take the easy way out when he accidentally drove past a stopped school bus with its emergency lights flashing.

For violating traffic laws, Knoebel wrote himself a ticket for $235, docked himself four points on his driving record and paid the fine the next day.

It happened in September but didn't make news until after the fine appeared in court records and was reported by a West Bend newspaper.

Knoebel says he doesn't mind getting the belated attention, if it serves to raise awareness.

"If it brings notice to people that they should be stopping for school buses, I don't mind the notoriety," he said.

He said he was on patrol on four-lane U.S. 45 when he was distracted by a stopped dump truck. He saw a car coming from behind and thought it might hit the truck, so he moved to pass the truck before he saw the stopped school bus in the far lane.

He said he didn't realize he had passed the bus until it was too late.

Interesting - from a legal perspective I don't know if he can be the prosecutor and defendant at the same time. Any legal types out there with input on that aspect of this?

Can’t he just plead guilty and pay the fine without going to court? I don't think that there would be an issue with being the prosecutor and the defendant.

Interesting - from a legal perspective I don't know if he can be the prosecutor and defendant at the same time.  Any legal types out there with input on that aspect of this?

Seeing as he isn't the prosecutor it would be fine. The DA would prosecute... He's just the issuing officer. The ticket would more likely than not go to the state, not his department. As long as all the proper paperwork is done it should be OK.

Seeing as he isn't the prosecutor it would be fine.  The DA would prosecute... He's just the issuing officer.  The ticket would more likely than not go to the state, not his department.  As long as all the proper paperwork is done it should be OK.

Well, State's vary on who handles the prosecution of Traffic Tickets. Even in New York, it varies by what part of the state your talking about.

But, as was mentioned, since he isn't contesting the ticket, there is no true "prosecution" role to be played.

Sounds like a guy who realized he screwed up and wanted to pay the price of his actions and stick by his morals. Good for him , and he should be proud of his decision.

Arrow

I see a legal problem with this.

Can he request the summons be dismissed? LOL

What would be funny is if he checks off "innocent" on the back of the ticket and fights it!