Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY "The Shops"

21 posts in this topic

It's my understanding, never having been and always wanting to go, that the FDNY Shops in Long Island City are old and cramped.

Does anyone know if plans are in the works to build a more modern shops? And does FDNY have a "junkyard" or storage yard?

Also, where are the ambulances maintained? At the old NYC*EMS facility in Queens?

Anyone who has any photos of the shops, I'd love to see them.

Still though, being a regular at the LAFD and LACoFD shops, those are still the most impressive to me. I'd have to imagine the FDNY shops are just as much.

FDNY's shops blow. The functionallity of the fleet and level of service provided is a testament to the hard work and skill of the crews that operate there.

I have been to the FDNY shops several times-it is cool to see where they work on all the rigs. Photos I have are 35mm and not scanned in though-sorry.

As for a "junkyard" for FDNY-Randall's Island (The Rock) has some storage there as well as a small repair shop for apparatus. Also, at one time there was some apparatus storage at the Brooklyn Naval Yard for apparatus to be scrapped or sold.

I agree with you that LAFD/LACoFD shops are cool-made a visit to them back in 1993 while buffing in Calif., most impressive to me was a tiller at the LAFD shops up on a lift!

FDNY's shops blow.  The functionallity of the fleet and level of service provided is a testament to the hard work and skill of the crews that operate there.

I agree, I have driven past and it is a dump like almost every other FDNY facility. 9 Metrotech is nice but it was built recently and is just a standard NYC office building. The Rock got some cool stuff after 9/11 like the subway simulator and the indoor street scene. The EMS Academy at Ft. Totten is on a beautiful property but the buildings are in need of major renovations. Most EMS stations I have been in are roach infested dumps, the only exception I've experienced is Bn 54 which is brand new.

Despite the sterling reputations of its FF's and EMT's, Alot of Buffs who are not employed by FDNY have no idea just how poorly run this department is. The civilian end of the FDNY is the typical NYC make-work beauracratic nightmare, nothing ever gets done, and when it does it will most certainly be a half a$$ed job.

Despite the sterling reputations of its FF's and EMT's, Alot of Buffs who are not employed by FDNY have no idea just how poorly run this department is.

I wouldn't go that far

I agree, I have driven past and it is a dump like almost every other FDNY facility. 9 Metrotech is nice but it was built recently and is just a standard NYC office building. The Rock got some cool stuff after 9/11 like the subway simulator and the indoor street scene. The EMS Academy at Ft. Totten is on a beautiful property but the buildings are in need of major renovations. Most EMS stations I have been in are roach infested dumps, the only exception I've experienced is Bn 54 which is brand new.

Despite the sterling reputations of its FF's and EMT's, Alot of Buffs who are not employed by FDNY have no idea just how poorly run this department is. The civilian end of the FDNY is the typical NYC make-work beauracratic nightmare, nothing ever gets done, and when it does it will most certainly be a half a$$ed job.

I know I'm probably deluding myself but the dept has begun to show signs of improvement. The subway simulator, street scene, and classrooms are stage one of a 3 or 4 stage improvement of the Rock. It was only recently that Ft Totten was fully handed over to the city. Theres a little squable between PD and Fire over the property, but there have been some improvements made and more in the pipe. Theres talk of a new house for 89/50 on Tremont and a couple new houses in Brooklyn that I can't think of off the top of my head. On the EMS side, a new station 20 off the Jacobi grounds, a new battalion 03 on Zerega (land was purchesed in '06), and I think one each for queens and brooklyn (or Staten Island)

I dont know if the job is searching for new shops, however they store rigs in Paige

Ave storehouse awaiting repair and rigs for sale in Kent Ave near navy yard. Guess shops are tight for space.

It was only recently that Ft Totten was fully handed over to the city.  Theres a little squable between PD and Fire over the property,  Theres talk of a new house for 89/50 on Tremont the top of my head.  On the EMS side, a new station 20 off the Jacobi grounds, a new battalion 03 on Zerega (land was purchesed in '06)

If I may sir where are u getting ur information from? I would like to pass this information to others this is all very intriguing. thanks ahead of time.

As for Rigs:

Rock as PMP so there are rigs there daily, but not many as far as storage.

Paige Av is one of the spots for storage, this was instead of having rigs parked on the streets around 34th street. Which was common back in the day.

34th Street does repairs for all the Engines and Trucks, also has the Buildings units coming out. Tool Room moved out and up the block some place.

58th Street EMS Shopstakes care of all the ambulances, cars, SUV, etc. (small stuff)

There is a large yard in the rear which you can find all sorts of rigs and what not.

Also across the street is another yard. See Photo

Kent Av is all the rigs being auctioned off, no Longer FDNY, by DCAS.

The army announced not too long ago they were turning over Ft Totten. Is was part of an assesment of military facilities in the tristate area. It came out about the same time Camp Smith was designated for expansion. They are maintaining most if not all of their current facilities on the base. The PD/FDNY squable is common knowledge around the grounds. Something to do with the k9 facility and and new EVOC course they are about to get.

The improvement plans for the rock were laid out by the dept. I'm sure they're somewhere on the citys website.

89/50's house is so small that both rigs have to come out for the ladder(?) to leave. FDNY announced a new lot had been purchased in that area.

The Jacobi facility is in rough shape. From what I've been told the dept has demanded improvements and the hospital wants the space. That should equal a new station.

A few months ago an announcement was made about the Zerega ave purchase for a new EMS battalion. Battalion 3 is the general concensus and makes the most sense. Then again if the dept is going to leave Jacobi, maybe the current station just gets moved.

Just about all of this info is public info that has been announced in the past year (ft totten handover 3 yrs) My next night in the house I'll sit down and see if I can dig up actual links.

I know there is a shop in Staten. It is over near a hospital in the back near the morgue. I was doing a deliver to the hospital it is attached to. It was a small shop looked like only 2 or three guys there. Only a hand full of rigs as well. A couple spares, a couple getting repaired, and a fuel truck. The shop did look a little cramped but it didn’t seem to bad. I don’t have much more detail because I saw the shop a couple of years ago, and couldn’t really look around for that long. It was pretty cool getting to look threw some of the rigs that the mechanic let me look in.

once again sorry for the lack of detail.

89/50's house is so small that both rigs have to come out for the ladder(?) to leave. FDNY announced a new lot had been purchased in that area.

Where in the world are you getting your information?

As an FDNY member who is VERY familiar with 89 and 50, I can say that your quote that both rigs have to come out for 50 to leave, is totally incorrect!!!

That does not take place.

E89/L50 occupy a "Jimmie Walker" Firehouse of which there are MANY in the city. Yes, things are tight in these houses but no one pulls out, to let the truck out. 89/50 are on a bit narrower street because of the wall for the expressway IFO qtrs., but the truck manages to pull out. They even did with the 95' footer, with the 75' the problem is reduced.

Perhaps a lot has been purchased, (a rumor running through the area for sometime)...but where is this lot? I would be interested to know.

The army announced not too long ago they were turning over Ft Totten.  Is was part of an assesment of military facilities in the tristate area.  It came out about the same time Camp Smith was designated for expansion.  They are maintaining most if not all of their current facilities on the base.  The PD/FDNY squable is common knowledge around the grounds.  Something to do with the k9 facility and and new EVOC course they are about to get. 

The improvement plans for the rock were laid out by the dept.  I'm sure they're somewhere on the citys website.

89/50's house is so small that both rigs have to come out for the ladder(?) to leave.  FDNY announced a new lot had been purchased in that area.

The Jacobi facility is in rough shape.  From what I've been told the dept has demanded improvements and the hospital wants the space.  That should equal a new station.

A few months ago an announcement was made about the Zerega ave purchase for a new EMS battalion.  Battalion 3 is the general concensus and makes the most sense.  Then again if the dept is going to leave Jacobi, maybe the current station just gets moved.

Just about all of this info is public info that has been announced in the past year (ft totten handover 3 yrs)  My next night in the house I'll sit down and see if I can dig up actual links.

Cool man thanks, I came out of 20 and there was talk of that stuff as far as the b3 happening I was on 03J and our input was asked to see where a station could go not sure where the property they finally bought is. 89/50 house is small, I have a couple of friends there, had dinner there a couple times they move the engine back about 1/4 way into the house and the choufer does have to be pretty skillfull opperating the truck, that house on that service rd never made any sense to me but then again I think alot of the houses in the city need to be moved due to traffic and various other reasons so what do I know. yea it would be cool to have the links thanks a bunch man safe tour.

I know there is a shop in Staten.  It is over near a hospital in the back near the morgue.  I was doing a deliver to the hospital it is attached to.  It was a small shop looked like only 2 or three guys there.  Only a hand full of rigs as well.  A couple spares, a couple getting repaired, and a fuel truck.  The shop did look a little cramped but it didn’t seem to bad.  I don’t have much more detail because I saw the shop a couple of years ago, and couldn’t really look around for that long.  It was pretty cool getting to look threw some of the rigs that the mechanic let me look in.     

once again sorry for the lack of detail.

The shop on Staten Island is at Seaview Hospital & Home on Brielle Avenue.

The shop on Staten Island is at Seaview Hospital & Home on Brielle Avenue.

They do basic pm (brakes, fluids and filters) at that shop like they do at the Rock.

It's my understanding, never having been and always wanting to go, that the FDNY Shops in Long Island City are old and cramped.

Does anyone know if plans are in the works to build a more modern shops? And does FDNY have a "junkyard" or storage yard?

Also, where are the ambulances maintained? At the old NYC*EMS facility in Queens?

Anyone who has any photos of the shops, I'd love to see them.

Still though, being a regular at the LAFD and LACoFD shops, those are still the most impressive to me. I'd have to imagine the FDNY shops are just as much.

The shops are pretty cool...the engine's and special chassis (anything not an ladder or an engine) are fixed in the bays up by the administration offices and the ladders are fixed down in the back. There is a machine shop where they rebuild transmissions, motors, and brake calipers; Tire & battery shop where they rebuild batteries...parts room, radio shop, and carpentry shop where they repair the ladders. There is also a lift in the pumpers section that can be utilized to do a while you wait repair. It is a pretty cool sight to see these guys do a brake job on a rig as a while you wait repair. It looks like a nascar pit crew. The apparatus design office is also located here as well. There is enough room to fly a aerial ladder or tower ladder bucket as well.

They cover almost an entire city block in LI city, and it would be interesting to see if the city would pay out to buy the land needed to build a new modern facility.

Edited by FDNY99

Living in Texas you guys are a treasure trove of information for me. I've got a couple of comments/Questions: I recall a thread at the FDNY yahoo group about a year ago about engine 201's house being torn down and replaced with a bigger house that would also accommodate towerladder 114 and the 40th battalion. I think there was something about purchasing the needed land. Does this sound familiar to anyone? As far as 89/50 goes, is it possible it's being confused with 277/112? The picture I have shows a single engine firehouse. I know they have since moved in with engine222 and there new house is under construction.

Thanks

Jim

Where in the world are you getting your information?

As an FDNY member who is VERY familiar with 89 and 50, I can say that your quote that both rigs have to come out for 50 to leave, is totally incorrect!!!

Sorry Lou, my mistake. Haven't run out of that house yet. My comments about the size of that house are based on one conversation with a brother there and what I've seen eating pizza next door.

As for Rigs:

Rock as PMP so there are rigs there daily, but not many as far as storage.

Paige Av is one of the spots for storage, this was instead of having rigs parked on the streets around 34th street.  Which was common back in the day.

34th Street does repairs for all the Engines and Trucks, also has the Buildings units coming out.  Tool Room moved out and up the block some place.

58th Street EMS Shopstakes care of all the ambulances, cars, SUV, etc. (small stuff)

There is a large yard in the rear which you can find all sorts of rigs and what not.

Also across the street is another yard. See Photo

Kent Av is all the rigs being auctioned off, no Longer FDNY, by DCAS.

Where in the city is 34th Street and what is the abouts on the numeric? (Its probably a long block). And is it the 34th st in Brooklyn or Queens?

Do they allow visitors? I would love a little tour and I don't even care if they don't let me take pictures lol. It would be pretty cool & interesting.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Where in the city is 34th Street and what is the abouts on the numeric? (Its probably a long block). And is it the 34th st in Brooklyn or Queens?

Do they allow visitors? I would love a little tour and I don't even care if they don't let me take pictures lol. It would be pretty cool & interesting.

it's in Long Island City, Queens

The shops are a pretty cool place to visit. Not sure about pictures though. As far as 89/50 are concerned. It is a very tight fit for both companies. If memory serves me right, when 50 Truck had the 95 footer, 89 Engine would back in practically to the back wall of the apparatus floor. Not too sure if they still do that. I haven't lived in the neighborhood or been in the house in a few years. My own feeling would have been for the city to buy that lot on Bruckner and Crosby where the A&P used to be(or whatever it is now), knock that down and put a new house there with the apron facing Crosby. It would probably cut down on some of 89/50's response times. Definitely would be easier to get out onto Tremont than having to loop around every time they go out the door.

Edited by JBE