News Release

Office of the Dutchess County Executive

22 Market Street • Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

Date: February 16, 2007

For Further Information Contact:

William R. Steinhaus, County Executive

845/486-2000

Steinhaus Appoints New Emergency Response Coordinator

Poughkeepsie . . . Dutchess County Executive William R. Steinhaus is pleased to announce his selection of John Murphy as Dutchess County Emergency Response Coordinator. Mr. Murphy’s appointment is effective Tuesday, February 20, 2007.

County Executive Steinhaus stated, “Mr. Murphy has a wealth of experience in Emergency Response and has proven his commitment to the county community. His extensive background is exactly what Dutchess County needs as we advance our emergency preparedness, particularly with the construction of the new Emergency Operations Center at the site of the 911 Center and continued development of our Medical Reserve Corps. I have every trust and confidence that John will continue the high standards of the County’s Emergency Response system. As I spoke with dozens of volunteers and professionals in the emergency response community, I heard repeated compliments about John Murphy.”

Mr. Murphy attended Dutchess Community College and is a graduate of Arlington High School. He has been in public service with Dutchess County Department of the Emergency Response and Dutchess County Bureau of Fire since 1977, serving the last 8 years as the Assistant Emergency Response Coordinator, the number two position in the department. Mr. Murphy has served as the Regional State Director of the New York State 911 Coordinator’s Association, as an elected Fire Commissioner of the Pleasant Valley Fire District, as Vice President of the Dutchess County Fire Chief’s Council and as the Chief of the Pleasant Valley Fire Department. He continues today as a life member of the Pleasant Valley Volunteer Fire Company #1.

Mr. Murphy said, “I am honored County Executive Steinhaus has selected me to be Emergency Response Coordinator. My entire professional career has been dedicated to serving the community with emergency response and public safety improvements. I appreciate Mr. Steinhaus’ support, and I look forward to working with our dedicated Emergency Response Team, other County departments and all of the first responder organizations throughout Dutchess County in this new capacity.”

The Emergency Response Coordinator manages a department of the administration and reports directly to the County Executive. He is responsible for planning and supervising the Emergency Response Department and its various training and preparedness programs, supervises the daily operation of the fire communications system and works with fire departments county-wide to develop prevention and response programs and to coordinate training. In addition, the Emergency Response Coordinator oversees emergency response and natural disaster and civil defense programs planning and review and manages the County E911 system.

Mr. Murphy has served as Interim Coordinator since October, 2006, following the retirement of former Emergency Response Coordinator, DeWitt Sagendorph. Mr. Murphy, 52, resides in Pleasant Valley with his wife Jayne and family.

A resolution confirming the appointment of Mr. Murphy as Emergency Response Coordinator is being forwarded to the Dutchess County Legislature for consideration at its March meeting.

Well deserved for Mr. Murphy, congrats to him!

Congrats, Coordinator Murphy!

Congrats Coordinator Murphy! biggrin.gif

AAAHHH Murph you suck up...

Mr. Murphy has served as Interim Coordinator since October, 2006, following the retirement of former Emergency Response Coordinator, DeWitt Sagendorph.

I had heard that DeWitt was retiring, but I did not know he already had!

I wish the best of luck to Mr. Murphy, and bid a farewell to Mr. Sagendorph. Happy retirement!

Does this make you County Car 1.5?  tongue.gif

O yea, Andy is County Car 1.5... wink.gif

I have known John Murphy for 20 years and he is a close family friend.

I couldn't think of a better person for the job, he brings a wealth of experience to the 911 center as a past dispatcher, County Fire Chief and Commissioner. Congratulations Murph it is well deserved

Edited by drobison82