Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Stat-Flight Ground?

13 posts in this topic

Just wonder what happened to Stat-Flight Ground after their takeover by Air Methods/Lifenet???

I know they used to use two Wheeled Coache Type III's operate by Metro/Transcare and staffed by Statflight staff for ground critical care and neonatal transports, but I haven't them recently.

Also, do they still wear the red Stat Flight jumpsuits?

Not sure about the Ground Transports, but we had them "Stop By" a few weeks back and they were wearing their Red JumpSuits. And if I might add, there are a couple of cuties in thoose siuts too..... When was this transition ?

P.S. Glad to see your posts again Pal. How you feelin' ?

From what I have heard, LifeNet/Air Methods wanted zippo/zero and nada to do with the ground aspects of the program.

So, according to one of those "cuties" - and she truly is...the STAT Ground team is alive and well, operating out of what she calls a closet with two RNs and a driver, mostly made up of those team members that wanted nothing to do with the pay and benefits package Air Methods threw their way. I only assume that Metrocare/Transcare is still providing the buggies and now the drivers as well. The pilots from the STAT Team no longer have to hang their heads in shame as being the only ones who have to fly and drive the program's ambulances.

I did see the other day a posting on www.flightweb.com from a medic who was implying he got hired there to work on the ground team.

But, bottom line they are separate entities and sadly Seth I can't tell you what they are wearing.

TCD this transition was years ago when WMC failed to pay Air Methods. Air Methods took over the program and now controls all aspects of it. Those who were in the employ of WMC and wanted to continue to wear the red suits and play helicopter were given the opportunity to interview with Air Methods.

I am not sure how ground hiring/selection is or was done.

I had heard that Transcare was hiring medics for a critical care transport bus @ the medical center. Apparently the bus was supposed to be a freightliner/international type ambulance. Last time i heard anything about it was in December...

I did see a stat flight crew a Vassar Hospital in Poughkeepsie on Monday they did not have on their "Red jump suits" it did say STAT on the back of the shirts they had on. I think they were blue.

They went out to an Ambulance I am not sure if it was a ground transport or if they were just bringing them to the pad. I didnt pay a lot of attention . Hope that helps. They transported a 5 year old to Westchester.

Stat Ground is still going. Right from the inside from someone(me) who works there. Transcare provides an ambulance, emt and paramedic. WMC provides the nurses and fellows. For a transport, its a crew of emt, medic, and usually 2 nurses. We only do Critical care neonatal and peds transports. Right now we ride around in a strandard box ambulance. You will soon see a LARGE international type ambulance. I believe its out getting painted up.

Need photos of this new International!

Do we know the manufacturer of the module? Also, what markings will it carry?

The new Huge ambulance that the Stat-Mobile team will be using is currently in TransCare's Mt. Vernon operations base. Last I heard, it was awaiting the final approval on the paint scheme.

The Medics and EMT's that have been hired for the Mobile team are dedicated to the truck and will be starting their training soon.

They will be doing along with a nurse and physicians the Pediatric and Neo-nate ground transports. As well as some adult critical transports in the region.

Ironically, not 24 hrs after this post, I had an interesting experience. When pulling into the ER bay of a local hosp, I saw a Transcare mod, on the door it said WMC. At this point, my spidy sense was already tingling. My partner and I both agreed that this must be the Stat Flight ground team. Sure enough, while triaging my pt, I noticed a small entourage following a stretcher out of the ER. Though no one had any obvious jumpsuits etc, one person, I'm guessing the nurse had a stat-flight t-shirt on. So to answer everyones questions, I saw no red jumpsuits, simply everyday TransCare medic uniforms, and maybe on person w/ a blue flight suit tied around their waste. I'm also guessing I did not see the special abulance talked about in previous posts. If one had no idea what to look for, the team could have easily been mistaken for a regular tx ambulance. Boy, talk about a small world though.

Its quite funny that many, many years ago Westchester County Medical Center started a small ground transport team based out of the hospital that grew into STAT Flight. Back to the future...

Ironically, not 24 hrs after this post, I had an interesting experience. When pulling into the ER bay of a local hosp, I saw a Transcare mod, on the door it said WMC. At this point, my spidy sense was already tingling. My partner and I both agreed that this must be the Stat Flight ground team. Sure enough, while triaging my pt, I noticed a small entourage following a stretcher out of the ER. Though no one had any obvious jumpsuits etc, one person, I'm guessing the nurse had a stat-flight t-shirt on. So to answer everyones questions, I saw no red jumpsuits, simply everyday TransCare medic uniforms, and maybe on person w/ a blue flight suit tied around their waste. I'm also guessing I did not see the special abulance talked about in previous posts. If one had no idea what to look for, the team could have easily been mistaken for a regular tx ambulance. Boy, talk about a small world though.

You are correct. The Stat Mobile team is currently using a smaller mod ambulance while their permament truck is being prepped.