Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

(FDNY) New York City Residency Credit

8 posts in this topic

A buddy of mine, who currently still lives in FL, is using his brother's NYC address to claim Residency Credit. I told him it wasnt a good idea, because if they caught him, he would probably get kicked off the list. Am I right in thinking this?

Thats what I thought, another buddy of mine was saying that supposedly they show up to the address like 3 times in a year and you have to be present atleast once?

ya it is not good but guess what, a whole lot of guys do it and don't get caught. I think that they should just do away with the credit system for residency, they can leave the military credits though cause at least with that you really have to prove it.

Any info on if they are gonna crack down on false residencies?

What makes anyone think that they won't be checking this stuff? They found a battalion chief w/ a false degree as well as other F.D.N.Y. officers, I'm very sure all of this stuff will be scrutinezed I mean cmon all I can put on my locker is a flag. Their is a huge crack down on EVERYTHING.

Hmmmm.....whatever happened to plain, good old honesty?

I have difficulty understanding how people who lie on their residency can feel good about themselves when they get hired...knowing that they just screwed guys who've done the right thing & been honest out of a job. It's kind of ironic, considering how noble and honorable the profession of firefighting is...I guess it's just a sign of the times in which we live, where the ends always seem to justify the means.

I have a friend who lost out on a job with City of Poughkeepsie a few years ago under these circumstances...a real good & talented guy with city residency who would have made an outstanding firefighter...unfortunately he lost out to a candidate of lesser caliber who lived out of the city in a nearby town, and who lied on his residency to get the position....a loss for both my friend and the City of Poughkeepsie Fire Department.

Edited by emt301

Its unfortunate, but I'm sure most of you know that a great share of the people who take the exam easily fake it and get the credit. You think about, as long as you can show some of the documentation they require (ex, bank statement, lease, utitlity and/or a license), they isnt a whole lot they can do (or rather willing to do) to say you dont live there...I've known guys who got the credit from this past exam, without ever even changing the license!

They can knock on the door all they want...cause you simply might be staying at your girlfreinds, work far away, be away at school etc etc...

P.S.- There are many people out there who also do have 2 legal addresses.