Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x242Steve

Westchester County Firefighter Exam 6/2/07

34 posts in this topic

What citys/towns have paid dept's?

The Westchester County Department of Human Resources administers the civil service examination for Firefighters that will be used to fill vacancies in the Fire Departments of the Cities of Peekskill and Rye and those of the towns and villages and Special Fire

Districts within the County. At this time, the County of Westchester itself does not have a fire department. The Cities of Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, White Plains and Yonkers each hold their own Firefighter examination.

Straight from the link above

What citys/towns have paid dept's?

Aside from the 4 cities listed the following departments employ career firefighters and hire off of the county list:

Eastchester

Scarsdale

Greenville

Hartsdale

Fairview

Pelham

Pelham Manor

Rye

Rye Brook

Peekskill

Port Chester

Harrison

Lake Mohegan

Mamaroneck Town

Sorry if I missed any.

Edited by GFD538

That sounds about right, hopefully Rye Brook is looking to hire.

Anyone know if you can take the county test and use the grade for the white plains test also? I saw that you could do that the last time they offered the test.

You can take both tests at the same time, however, I believe the White Plains test uses a differnt set of questions than the County test. Usually there are a total of 90 questions in the test book but each test only uses 60 of them. So if you register for both exams, you probably will have to answer all 90 questions. Also, dont forget to put both test codes on your answer sheets.

The application has been posted on the website. Any recommendations as to the best study material for this test?

does anyone know the residency requirements? I no longer live in Westchester but would be intereseted in taking the test.

does anyone know the residency requirements? I no longer live in Westchester but would be intereseted in taking the test.

answered my own question by actually looking at the site!!

Did anyone notice the exam and notice was posted on the site about 4 hours ago...now it's been taken off? Whats going on?

So what do you have to do in order to take both the WP and Westchester tests at the same?

So what do you have to do in order to take both the WP and Westchester tests at the same?

You will have to file with both White Plains Civil Service (March 15) is the deadline to file. You would then have to goto Westcher County Civil Service fill out an app.

(This would be cross filing)

You should be able to take it at either test site. Once you get the acceptance letters I would then call and make sure you are able to go to either site.

Anyone know if you can take the county test and use the grade for the white plains test also?  I saw that you could do that the last time they offered the test.

Last W/P test I took there was no grade. I was told I passed and would be called for the agility if they went of the residency list.

does anyone know when and where fire fighter I and II will be taking place soon or over the summer?

I know this is late in the game but we do not need to send in anything beside the app and the check right? it says they will need residency proof and birth cert and such at a later date. When do they look at that stuff?

I know this is late in the game but we do not need to send in anything beside the app and the check right?  it says they will need residency proof and birth cert and such at a later date.  When do they look at that stuff?

Hopefully you are high on the list and then would want to check it for hiring purposes

Just the check and the application. Due by tomorrow!

Aside from the 4 cities listed the following departments employ career firefighters and hire off of the county list:

Eastchester

Scarsdale

Greenville

Hartsdale

Fairview

Pelham

Pelham Manor

Rye

Rye Brook

Peekskill

Port Chester

Harrison

Lake Mohegan

Mamaroneck Town

Sorry if I missed any.

Eastchester has a residency requirement. You have to be a resident of Eastchester, Tuckahoe, or Bronxville.

Eastchester has a residency requirement. You have to be a resident of Eastchester, Tuckahoe, or Bronxville.

Do you really? Wow, that doesn't included after being hired does it? There's not much in the way of reasonable housing around there. Doesn't seem fair, in the sense that pay would have to reflect the cost of living.

Do you really?  Wow, that doesn't included after being hired does it?  There's not much in the way of reasonable housing around there.  Doesn't seem fair, in the sense that pay would have to reflect the cost of living.

After 1 year of being hired(probationary period)you can move out of district.

I'm just wondering what people are doing to study for the test? any suggestions?

Do you really?  Wow, that doesn't included after being hired does it?  There's not much in the way of reasonable housing around there.  Doesn't seem fair, in the sense that pay would have to reflect the cost of living.

The pay does reflect the cost of living biggrin.gif

I beg to differ.

Maybe 10 years ago, but not anymore.

A police officer makes 15K more than a firefighter.

Maybe a contract would help. It's only been 475 days.

Eastchester

Scarsdale

Greenville

Hartsdale

Fairview

Pelham

Pelham Manor

Rye

Rye Brook

Peekskill

Port Chester

Harrison