Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Geico Cavemen To Get Their Own Sitcom

9 posts in this topic

This is great news! I love these guys and these commercials, can't wait to hopefully see the pilot! It's been a while since there's been a new sitcom that I've liked.

ABC approves pilot TV show based on Geico ad cavemen

Wall Street Journal

Mar. 6, 2007 12:00 AM

Is finding a way for marketers to beat commercial-zapping DVRs and helping networks to cure the distressed state of TV comedy so simple that a caveman could do it?

ABC's decision to greenlight a half-hour pilot program based on Geico's popular cavemen characters highlights the blurring line between advertising and entertainment, as well as the trouble the network has had in launching successful sitcoms.

Although the project is at a nascent stage - there's no script and no cast - plans call for the comedy to be titled Cavemen and focus on a trio of prehistoric characters who battle prejudice in modern-day Atlanta. Walt Disney Co.'s ABC will pay for the pilot and show, if one eventually materializes. Geico, a unit of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., will have no creative control but will receive a royalty payment for the use of the characters.

advertisement

"We sell car insurance; we don't make TV shows," says Ted Ward, Geico's vice president of marketing. "We are excited to have an opportunity to do brand extension."

Geico introduced the cavemen characters three years ago, initially in an ad promoting Geico's Web site that used the slogan "It's so easy to use Geico.com, even a caveman could do it." The ad became popular and a series of sequels followed.

The characters have achieved celebrity status, thanks in part to Geico's enormous ad budget. The insurer spent an estimated $403 million on ad time and space in 2005, according to TNS Media Intelligence, an amount expected to be up 20 percent last year although final data aren't available. Geico receives hundreds of letters and e-mails about the characters, and fans at college sporting events have been known to hold up signs that say "Beating (team name) is so easy, even a caveman can do it."

More recently, the caveman has been showing up outside ads. Eight days ago, an actor dressed as a caveman showed up at the Academy Awards and attended an after-Oscars bash. Last month, the caveman played a round of golf with football analyst Phil Simms during his Super Bowl pregame show on CBS. The deal was part of an ad package that Horizon Media, Geico's media-buying firm, cooked up with CBS that also included running cavemen ads during the network's hours-long run-up to the National Football League championship.

I can't wait! I love those commercials.

yeah the commercials are funny but this doesn't sound like a worthwhile investment for them. I just don't see them having a lot of story lines.

Maybe its only a rumor, but apparently their is an alterior motive behind the caveman TV show. With the ability that cable companies now have to track who is watching what and when everyone who watches more than 5 minutes of any two epsiodes will be removed from their home in the night for sterilization. The goverment is trying to reduce crime, hospitalizations, and reduce the burden on schools by preventing stupid people from breeding. Its an innovative program that I'm curious to see how effective it is. The estimates show improvement in just 10 years that exponentially increases over time.

yeah the commercials are funny but this doesn't sound like a worthwhile investment for them. I just don't see them having a lot of story lines.

What are you saying? Cavemen don't have story lines. Geez, everyone hates the cave man!

If they wanna waste money on a TV show they can send some my way instead!

Take a good show like Firehouse or The Bravest off the air but put

something like cavemen on?

I would have to say the best of those commercials was one of the first. With the Caveman grip dropping the boom, yelling, "NOT COOL!!!!" and storming off the set.

Maybe its only a rumor, but apparently their is an alterior motive behind the caveman TV show.  With the ability that cable companies now have to track who is watching what and when everyone who watches more than 5 minutes of any two epsiodes will be removed from their home in the night for sterilization.  The goverment is trying to reduce crime, hospitalizations, and reduce the burden on schools by preventing stupid people from breeding.  Its an innovative program that I'm curious to see how effective it is.  The estimates show improvement in just 10 years that exponentially increases over time.

OH NO! please tell me "the simple life" or "the winner" are not part of the program, they are my favorites! Maybe if I watch Fox News enough I will fend off the bad people.