Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

PGFD saves cat from utility pole

23 posts in this topic

OK sorry but HOW DUMB IS THIS!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE WAS THE POWER COMPANY?!?!?!!?

Don't you know the first thing they teach you in lineman school is that assume that every pole is energized until it is tested, and deemed safe.

Sorry being the sadist that I am, I would have "loved" the political backfire and safety debates this would have brought. - DUMB! mad.gif

REPRINT FROM FIREHOUSE.COM

Firefighters Rescue Snowball

Updated: 03-12-2007 03:24:26 PM

(PGFD) - While rescuing cats out of trees may be more of firefighting folklore, at times, based on the circumstances, it become necessary. The basic philosophy of any animal that takes roost in a tree, or an elevated structure, is that when the animal becomes hungry, it will eventually find its way down.

This philosophy also holds true in that it is not worth the risk of sending a firefighter into harms way to rescue the perched pet, however, at times, with all safety precautions being taken, a rescue is attempted to help alleviate fear and anxiety amongst a gathered community that is watching the helpless pet in an extremely precarious position.

So it was on a chilly Thursday afternoon, March 8, 2007, that Prince George's County Firefighters received a desperate call for help from citizens of a Fort Washington community. Firefighters proceeded to the 8600 Block of Ridgevale Avenue and witnessed, "Snowball", a much beloved and cherished cat, had escaped up a utility pole to avoid certain injury or death from a neighbor's dog. The aggressive dog ran loose and gave chase to "Snowball."

With nowhere to hide, "Snowball" chose the nearest utility pole and scaled as high as she could go. Her final place of refuge was on top of cable wires that were located just two feet below high voltage lines that may have ended her life. The owner, Mrs. Smith, pleaded with the firefighters for assistance as well as many citizens and residents gathered at the location. There was no question that a wrong move by "Snowball" would result in a certain electrifying death and a subsequent unpleasant sight for all. Firefighters thought it best to attempt a rescue, taking safety of themselves into primary consideration. All overhead lines were appropriately identified with the electric power lines given the highest priority and would be avoided at all costs.

"Snowball" would have to cooperate as well; any reluctance on her part would negate the rescue attempt. Fire Fighter Todd Szelkowsky and Fire Fighter Kevin Hodges, under the supervision of Battalion Chief Rudy Thomas and Fire Lieutenant Billy Mills, ascended toward the perched pet on-board Tower 21, Oxon Hill Fire/EMS Station 21. Fire Fighter Matt Miller carefully maneuvered the extended "bucket" close enough for the two firefighters on-board to reach out to "Snowball." The pet cooperated and the rescuers were able to take hold of "Snowball" and bring her back to the ground safely. The very appreciative Mrs. Smith could not thank the firefighters enough as the cat was handed back to her. The gathered members of the community cheered the firefighters after the successful rescue.

It appears that "Snowball" used up 2 of her 9 lives, however, she will continue to be a loyal pet to her owner and the community of Fort Washington is relieved that this incident had a happy ending. Battalion Chief Rudy Thomas stated to Mrs. Smith, "As a citizen and resident of Prince George's County, we were glad to be able to assist you in her time of need." He commented, "This was a difficult decision to make in attempting this rescue, however, we took the time to identify all the power lines, established ground rules and implemented all safety precautions to avoid injury to our personnel. If we were not 100% positive about avoiding injury to firefighters, we would not have attempted this rescue, fortunately, everything went as planned and we were able to help members of our community."

Obviously the power company couldn't care less, that is unless the kitty crossed phases and took out the local grid. Squirrels do this quite often.

They should have found the dumbass owner of the dog and used him to cross phases and trip the breakers. Then and only then, once the circuit was open, should they have attempted a rescue of the feline.

I had a neighbor's dog constantly coming into my yard and chasing my elderly cat. Talking to the idiot who owned the dog did nothing. I finally called animal control, and they impounded the dog. Apparently, I wasn't the first to complain.

Some people just shouldn't have animals, let alone children.

Obviously the power company couldn't care less, that is unless the kitty crossed phases and took out the local grid. Squirrels do this quite often.

They should have found the dumbass owner of the dog and used him to cross phases and trip the breakers. Then and only then, once the circuit was open,  should they have attempted a rescue of the feline.

I had a neighbor's dog constantly coming into my yard and chasing my elderly cat. Talking to the idiot who owned the dog did nothing. I finally called animal control, and they impounded the dog. Apparently, I wasn't the first to complain.

Some people just shouldn't have animals, let alone children.

Your missing the point, how many firefighter and emergency services personnel deaths have occurred in the last ten years do to electrocution. Firefighters, cops and emergency personnel should not be conducting this.

Don't read it as a human interest issue, look at it as unsafe operations, a reason why I posted it in this forum.

Edited by IzzyEng4

Your missing the point, how many firefighter and emergency services personnel deaths have occurred in the last ten years do to electrocution.  Firefighters, cops and emergency personnel should not be conducting this.

Don't read it as a human interest issue, look at it as unsafe operations, a reason why I posted it in this forum.

i agree 100% with you izzy, its not our job to save animals from the poles. thats the power company's job. and if the animal was stupid enough to go up the pole than it deserves to die. i think that the lives of the first responders were put in danger for nothing

Once the power company was on scene and confirmed the lines were no longer live, then and only then can I see using our personnel and equipment for such an event. Now that being said, the reality is that the power copmpany is not about to shut down anything to get a cat, so it is a * and void issue. I realize this as reality and I have owned cats most of my life.

Wow, I get these calls at the PD for a cat in a tree & people expect the FD to climb 60ft into a tree because their cat is up there. Cats have been climbing things for thousands of years. I wouldn't risk my life for an animal that does not need to be rescued. When the cat feels it's safe to do so, it will climb down on his own. The article said that the cat was near the cable lines 2 ft from the power lines. If I recall correctly, you're not suppossed to use an arial device closer than 10 ft from power lines because electricity can jump to it (electricity likes the path of least resistance to ground, electricity 101). Those officers should be demoted & have a CAT scan (no pun intende) to see if the had any brains. I can see the headline now. Firefighter electrocuted saving a cat. I know I wouldn't like to have to tell the widow that her husband made the ultimate sacrifice for an animal that was not in danger. Don't get me wrong, I love animals. I just want to go home to my family at the end of the day.

REPRINT FROM FIREHOUSE.COM

Firefighters Rescue Snowball

Updated: 03-12-2007 03:24:26 PM

(PGFD) -

This philosophy also holds true in that it is not worth the risk of sending a firefighter into harms way to rescue the perched pet, however, at times, with all safety precautions being taken, a rescue is attempted to help alleviate fear and anxiety amongst a gathered community that is watching the helpless pet in an extremely precarious position.

There was no question that a wrong move by "Snowball" would result in a certain electrifying death and a subsequent unpleasant sight for all. Firefighters thought it best to attempt a rescue, taking safety of themselves into primary consideration. All overhead lines were appropriately identified with the electric power lines given the highest priority and would be avoided at all costs.

The gathered members of the community cheered the firefighters after the successful rescue.

It appears that "Snowball" used up 2 of her 9 lives, however, she will continue to be a loyal pet to her owner and the community of Fort Washington is relieved that this incident had a happy ending. Battalion Chief Rudy Thomas stated to Mrs. Smith, "As a citizen and resident of Prince George's County, we were glad to be able to assist you in her time of need." He commented, "This was a difficult decision to make in attempting this rescue, however, we took the time to identify all the power lines, established ground rules and implemented all safety precautions to avoid injury to our personnel. If we were not 100% positive about avoiding injury to firefighters, we would not have attempted this rescue, fortunately, everything went as planned and we were able to help members of our community."

Here is a perfect example of the monday morning quarterbacks . Do you honestly think that the SIX PGFD members (Chief, LIeutenant and Firefighters) would put themselves in harms way for a cat? The Chief cleary says " If we were not 100 % positive about avoiding injuries WE WOULD NOT ATTEMPT the rescue."

Don't you think that the reporter made a great story by indulging and making it more dramatic then it really might have been?

One thing i have feared is if we got called for this type of incedent and turned it away that te pet owner would attempt the rescue and get injuried themselves.

We had a call one time a few years back with a big old parrot in a tree and we said nope not going and twenty minutes later we had a male 60ft in a tree and stuck. Could not move.... We called a neighboring dept with a ladder truck and safely removed him and the bird....

Edited by LCFD968

On the same topic...One night a woman called 911 in Yonkers and told me that her child had thrown their only set of keys to house/car up in the air and it got caught in the wires. Basically I just laughed, I told her to call con ed and see if they could send a crew. This type of situation is a waste of resources. How long does it take to unpack and then re-pack a tower ladder, minutes right. Forbid that someone be trapped in a fire during the time they were operating on getting little kitty from the pole. I think that it was a bad idea (just my opinion), besides being somewhat unsafe.

Here is a perfect example of the monday morning quarterbacks . Do you honestly think that the SIX PGFD members (Chief, LIeutenant and Firefighters) would put themselves in harms way for a cat? The Chief cleary says " If we were not 100 % positive about avoiding injuries WE WOULD NOT ATTEMPT the rescue."

Don't you think that the reporter made a great story by indulging and making it more dramatic then it really might have been?

One thing i have feared is if we got called for this type of incedent and turned it away that te pet owner would attempt the rescue and get injuried themselves.

We had a call one time a few years back with a big old parrot in a tree and we said nope not going and twenty minutes later we had a male 60ft in a tree and stuck. Could not move.... We called a neighboring dept with a ladder truck and safely removed him and the bird....

Are they certified linemen???? NO

Are they certified electricians??? Probably not

Should firefighters try to remove lines, object animals and people from situations were power lines may be in contact or close proximity? NO WAY

I implore all of you to take a course with your local power companies and I'll tell you something, you'll think twice when you go for a simple "wires down" call. We conduct drills with UI, the local power company in my area on electrical safety.

Remember a few years back in upstate CT when a young rookie firefighter died when he was backing out of the house and the tow leads from the pole let go from the house, hit his air pack and he was electrocuted.

Another scenario, I worked in the industrial electrical field and local phone company for a short period of my life and had to watch a training film where a home owner was picking up a cable from his house and was laying in the road. Ever thing looked fine until he picked up the cable wire and was shocked. Why, because a low hanging transmission line was touching the cable lines, FOUR POLES AWAY.

Listen to any discussion by John Gala or Vinny Dunn about electrical safety, STAY AWAY PERIOD.

And to answer your question do I think that a those six members would put their personnel in danger, yes because they did!

Edited by IzzyEng4

Your missing the point, how many firefighter and emergency services personnel deaths have occurred in the last ten years do to electrocution.  Firefighters, cops and emergency personnel should not be conducting this.

Uhm, no....actually, I'm not missing the point. I just don't take myself so seriously on an internet forum. Out in the field is a different matter.

Uhm, no....actually, I'm not missing the point. I just don't take myself so seriously on an internet forum. Out in the field is a different matter.

Ahh OK I get ya

DID any one notice the cat wasn't on the power line it was on the cable t.v. lines!!! so with that being the case their was no harm to touch the cable line... i'm a line tech for a cable company and the only voltage in inside the cable line.... if that was the cast i wouldn't have a job it they were live!!! if it ran up the pole then game over...

I can't remember ever seeing a dead cat in a tree or on a phone pole

I can't remember ever seeing a dead cat in a tree or on a phone pole

Tip: A garden hose set on "jet" also works well at clearing cats out of trees, etc.

How long does it take to unpack and then re-pack a tower ladder, minutes right.  Forbid that someone be trapped in a fire during the time they were operating on getting little kitty from the pole. 

There are plenty of reasons not to make this rescue, but can we stop trotting this one out. Apperaus are constantly used for non-life threating "emergencies", parades, details, training, etc. How about the location of our stations? As communities grow and populations shift how many apperatus have been relocated? If you can get some good PR and serve a resident of the community then do it, don't say no because there might be a real emergency in the 20 minutes the rig would be needed.

Good job PGFD everybody went home safe even the cat. Sounds like the chief had everything under controll as much as possible with safety or he probably wouldn't have attemped. Job well done PGFD.

Like someone else said, I have never seen a cat skeleton in a tree or up a pole. It'll come down eventually.

Hey, but isn't AMPERAGE the killer, not voltage? Those could be 500 volt lines, but the amps could be around 15. (i.e 30?-40? amps would kill a guy, but say a guy had a catatsrophic run-in with a 2QB's electrical connections while live, they guy's a goner.)

Mike

Hey, but isn't AMPERAGE the killer, not voltage? Those could be 500 volt lines, but the amps could be around 15. (i.e 30?-40? amps would kill a guy, but say a guy had a catatsrophic run-in with a 2QB's electrical connections while live, they guy's a goner.)

Mike

15 amps is a lot of current. 70 mA (0.07 Amps) flowing through your heart can kill you.

Mike

It's not the volts that kill ya, it's the amps.

How many amps is it?

Enough to push a train!!! Now shut up!!!

This is a time I truly miss Sgt. Tackleberry(RIP).

Leave a can of Meow Mix at the bottom of the pole, have a nice day.

user posted image

"Problem rectified, m'am."

Edited by Remember585

It's not the volts that kill ya, it's the amps.

How many amps is it?

Enough to push a train!!!  Now shut up!!!

Alright, alright. I'll drop this topic.

Mike