Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Photographer Or Camera?

13 posts in this topic

On an amateur basis, with digital point and shoot cameras, do you think a good photo is a result of the camera, the photographer, or both?

Both. You need the eye for it, and a good camera to capture it.

I'd have to agree, A good camera is always good, But if you have an eye for it, well that works even better. For me, I shoot shoot shoot then I'll take everything back to my P.C. and look at all the pics over, ya never know what you might have captured. Just my thoughts on this one.

Better cameras definately make it easier and take some of the technical emphasis away, but you still need to have the eye to see what makes a good photo. You can put a $5000 worth of cameras and equipment into my hands and end up with nothing better than what I'd give you with a disposable. Photogs have been taking amazing photos with much less for years.

The camera is just an extension of the photographer. You need to have an eye for it and a little bit of luck. as was mentioned if you give a $5000 camera to someone who has no eye for what might work as a picture, you will not get a great picture. I think that the photographer makes it work with what ever he has. i have seen pics that were taken on a box camera that were breath taking. they all do the same thing, just some take the guess work out of it. An luck plays a very large roll in it. As HFD said you just have to shoot as much as you can, which is easier if you have a digital and can take like 600 pics on a disk. you can think a pic is gonna be sweet then i can stink and one you were just fooling around with can win you a first prize in a photo contest.

both. i think you need to have a good eye. if you just randomly point and shoot yeah you can get a good picture but that is just luck. the subject of the photo is in my opinion as imortant as the quality. and without that good eye you wont have a good subject.

Yea pretty much like everyone is saying, both. You definitely need an eye for it, but if you have the camera it can capture colors and you have more options such as shudder speed.

Everyone in my family who works for Kodak have taught me both the photographer and a good camera (and film) make the picture. I can attest to that!

Answering my own topic, I think photography is an art form. The rapid invasion of digital photography and easy-to-use photo editing software has made many more people "photographers

I do think it is a combination of both, and luck. And I do feel there is a difference between a professional and ameteur photographer.

Also, remember that a photo that you take is yours. If you send it in to a magazine or newspaper that makes money, such as a "Citizen Photos" section of a local paper, then you are taking away work from people who make their living as a photographer.

I am sorry but I think it is the photographer most of the time and the camera some of the time. There is a photographer who shoots for Sports Illustrated and all he uses is little disposable cameras. Unusual technique but he is one of the best photographers in the world. Believe it or not his photos are usually featured in the Swimsuit Edition. He is just amazing and can judge light and effect by eye...does not need meters!!!!!!!!!!

But practice makes perfect and the digital revolution makes that much easier and less expensive. You have to take a lot of photos and then start to say okay...I need to change frame speed for that light setting or adjust the focus manually because of noise or movement that may affect you shot. Then there are tools such as the image stabilization telephoto zoom lenses that are on the market. During a night or overcast shot it may be necessary to uses a longer frame speed setting while zooming in over some distance and this alleviates the necessity of a tripod in most cases. The more you play the more you figure out! So go get a camera and start shooting everything!

Both. The better the camera, the better the photo, but as was stated in previous posts, you need to have an eye for it as well.

I would definetely say both. The real trick is catching that "special" photo.