Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stepjam

Fires & Salvation Army Coffee

22 posts in this topic

When I was a kid growing up in southwest Yonkers, I remember that the Salvation Army used to show up at all of the really big jobs (there were plenty) with a stepvan, and hand out coffee and whatever to the Firemen and Cops on the scene. It reminded me of a big white "Mister Softee" truck. It seemed as though they were like one of the civilian auxiliary "clubs" that some other cities have.

I was just wondering if those good people still provide that service, and if anyone has any recollections or pictures? I have always admired that organization, they do a lot of good for a lot of people.

[attachmentid=2212]

I must say the Soup was pretty good! biggrin.gif

That truck was up in Peekskill a few years back,

Good guys.

post-3-1174492468.jpg

I was at a job ten or more years ago in Armonk and there were there serving Coffee and Beef Stew.

It was stupid cold out and my gloves had frozen in the shape of an 1 3/4 handline... which odly enough is the perfect shape for a small cup of coffee to be perfecly dropped into without having to close your hand around it.

It's been a while since I've seen a S.A. truck at a job though.

I believe that they are still around...Haven't been to a fire in Yonkers in a while since I gave up the bus for a headset and no windows! However, they are one of the notifications we make for YFD on 2nd alarms and greater.

You see them occasionally at Multiples in the city.

I remember them at the big jobs in Mt Vernon years ago.

They were at the big warehouse fire Stamford had last year.

Also in yonkers about 2 years ago,I believe.

They were here in Sleepy Hollow last year for the tornado, and in 2005 when Con Ed gas leak blew up a transformer.

They were at the big warehouse fire Stamford had last year.

...as well as the recent all-nighter Clairol chemical incident.

and at the 4th alarm in kingsbridge on feb 11th

post-2464-1174518967.jpg

received coffee, water, juice and cookies from them...always better then the RAC Unit

A top shelf group. Always there when you need them. They even had the setup at the Fresh Kills and stayed all the way till the end at the WTC. And yes they make it out to the multiples in the city.

They were at the plane crash on Hunt Mountain in North Salem on or about December 5th 1965 or 66, aw was ARC but Salvation Army was vastly superior to ARC.

They were at the CVS fire in Thornwood/Valhalla. Handing out coffee, tea, and beef brother on the coldest day of the year.

Some places Red Cross does it

user posted image

Edited by dave27

They were at the CVS fire in Thornwood/Valhalla.  Handing out coffee, tea, and beef brother on the coldest day of the year.

Yes..I remember drinking a cup of coffee from them while thawing out on the bus.

I remember driving by a Firehouse about a year or two ago in the Bronx and seeing the SA Canteen Truck parked by the Engine. I don't remember the exact location.....

I think it had some type of FDNY ID# or logo on it.

Anyone know of this?

I remember driving by a Firehouse about a year or two ago in the Bronx and seeing the SA Canteen Truck parked by the Engine. I don't remember the exact location.....

I think it had some type of FDNY ID# or logo on it.

Anyone know of this?

that would be eng 45 ladder 58 and the 18 battalion on east tremont

For those of you in Westchester County, you can request the Salvation Army canteen and/or Red Cross from 60 Control anytime you need it. In addition to that, you can even add them into your "Greater Alarm Plans." Some departments have it programmed into the CAD to automatically dispatch the SA or RC on multiple-alarm incidents to help rehab. laugh.gif

Personally, i think Dunkin Donuts should look into having a mobile coffee dispensary.

Personally, i think Dunkin Donuts should look into having a mobile coffee dispensary.

Sounds good to me Dunkn's coffee is the best!!!!