Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Engines Co. Being Used for more than 5 decades

16 posts in this topic

Not Cool!!!!They are probably underfunded...

post-6521-1174591225.jpg

Ya know, I know there's no REAL arguement for a truck from the 50's, but....

....well if they're not really busy, the truck has been refurbed and repowered, what's the harm? Looks like it's in pretty decent shape. As long as it's reliable for the application.

It does look like it is in pretty good shape

It does look like it is in pretty good shape

Maybe for parades but I would not use it for firefighting.

Might be all they can afford to operate. I know after Pleasantville sold it's old R-47, the 1980 Hahn, there was a dept out in western Pennsylvania that was interested in it, but could not afford the $5,000 that Brookfield was asking. They were using an old Ford F-350 as their rescue, but it was overloaded with equipment. The guy I was talking to said their annual budget was around $25,000, and had just recieved a donated 1978 Hahn as their first due engine. As long as it operates safely, then I see no problem if they can keep up on the maintenance.

yeah why not? May only have the same amount of hours as a busy 2002...who knows? wait let me guess there's an NFPA that prohibits it...

Edited by blkcloud

NFPA now recommends that all trucks prior to 1980 be upgraded for backup or front line service to meet protection requirements. So if the truck is from say 1960, has been refurbished and meets all the requirements (or not since NFPA is not a governing or lawmaking body) then the truck meets the standard. In this county there are more than 75% of trucks that are 20 years or older in service. Why - lack of funds to purchase new apparatus. If a truck in 1960 was $35,000 for a front line pumper, its is now $350,000 to $400,000 for a similar truck. Sad huh?

Not Cool!!!!They are probably underfunded...

if that engine is from Carver, MA , that is one of their old rigs used as a reserve/spare. Carver is a 100% paid-on-call fire department (only the chief and day dispatcher are full time), they do have 3 nice new Pierce Sabres as frontline engines, as well as 3 brush breakers, 1 tanker and 1 heavy rescue

BTW Engine 4 shown in your pic is listed as a 1980 Ford/Maxim

check out Capecodfd.com

my hometown Dept. Sandwich, MA still runs a 1972 Maxim F pumper that has maybe 19000 miles on it, still runs and pumps as well as it did when it went into frontline service

Carver Rescue 2.....Active or Spare??

post-6521-1174616667.jpg

NFPA now recommends that all trucks prior to 1980 be upgraded for backup or front line service to meet protection requirements.  So if the truck is from say 1960, has been refurbished and meets all the requirements (or not since NFPA is not a governing or lawmaking body) then the truck meets the standard.

Yeah, I think the requirements are stringent, and may require a good amount of money to accomplish. Off the top of my head I know that enclosed cabs is a must(no more open jump seats), seat belts for all seats, air horns/speakers relocated to the front bumper(not on roof), and and I think you have to be able to document all maintance that has been preformed.

Edited by grumpyff

It's just not right how there is so many fire departments out there that are underfunded.

It's just not right how there is so many fire departments out there that are underfunded.

Try working in EMS...

NYS Fire Marshal

post-6521-1174627055.jpg

grumpy, didn't Pleasantville also send an old engine that didn't even run to an upstate NY dept that was in need of a rig?

forgot add in the pic of my engine

post-6749-1174652419.jpg