Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

What Am I Doing Wrong?

24 posts in this topic

As many members know, running this site is expensive. It takes a lot of my time, and the money comes mostly from my pocket, with help from advertisers.

Since this site's inception, members have requested EMTBravo T-Shirts and sweats. I initially resisted, not wanting to do a "buffy" T-shirt or having to put up with selling them.

However, things fell into place and one day a couple of months ago I came up with a concept. To raise money to continue running the site as well as expanding the site, I could sell EMTBravo T-Shirts and Sweatshirts that, instead of a buffy quote on the back, carried a message that reflects the mission of EMTBravo.com. I partnered with RescueStuff, and produced a quality shirt.

I've made posts, sent out emails, put up banners on EMTBravo sites, etc, and the T's and Sweat's aren't selling nearly as fast as I thought they would. There are a few core people who have been GREAT, and bought what they could to support the site. Every time I put something up for sale, they buy it and I really appreciate that.

I did some research, and most members who are still active who had suggested or talked about me selling T-Shirts or sweatshirts haven't bought a single one.

I have new merchandise that's non-clothing that will be a nice suprise for people, so I expect that to sell well. I'll be announcing that soon.

But the latest batch of T-Shirts and Sweatshirts aren't selling that well right here in Westchester. Most of the shirts go everywhere but Westchester- from Florida to California to even Montanna. I'm puzzled why more from Westchester aren't buying? I'm even more perplexed that the more "hardcore" fans of this site haven't bought any.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get these shirts, that support the site, selling faster? I've marketed as much as I can, to the point where I think it's become annoying and people ignore it. I need to move these shirts, help me think of ways! (or buy one yourself!)

-EMTBravo

You should send a member to each of those events in the calendar...not only to recruit new members and pass on the word but get permission to sell the merchandise there...maybe a table...someone like x901 would probably volunteer for an assignment of this sort!

I can't see that working. What nonmember would want to buy a tshirt?

I think they are a little expensive. I know you have to raise money, but I for one declined when I saw the price.

Maybe you need to do a survey and get some answers.

$11.99 for a t shirt and 17.99 for a sweatshirt...expensive...wtf

where do you shop walmart?????

Shame on me. 1 t shirt. 6 pens. Paid.

Lets go gang...step up. You piss away more then that on a Friday night....literally.

The price is on par with any screen printed t-shirts (band tees, buff shirts, etc.).

Personally, i would stick with simply t-shirts. They tend to be more popular and end up being less expensive.

As far as the shirts flying off the shelves, you have to figure your core group of members are going to be the biggest supporters of this endeavor, semi-active members maybe will buy a shirt or two and less active wont purchase any.

I say put a paypal donation button on the site, and encourage members to donate what they can, limit clothing items to t-shirts in medium quantities to save on costs. Also, maybe we can look to add some more service oriented things: the pen packs were great, maybe keychains, pads, etc.

Just a few ideas.

Everyone should buy a pack of pens and just leave them around your station (ie firehouse/vac/comm ctr/pct). Then people may just log on and enjoy themselves and then we all know that buffs like t shirts...so sales may go up from there. EMTBravo @ Parades???? Another place to sell while taking pictures this summer...I will even make sure that I am available for at least one date to help out, camera and a box of shirts, just let me know...2 for the price of 1 (not shirts, but pics/monies)...

$11.99 for a t shirt and 17.99 for a sweatshirt...expensive...wtf

where do you shop walmart?????

Yep, that's where I shop. The prices you quoted are the starting prices, Duh, they go up for the bigger sizes. Walmarts, Kmarts, the dollar store, don't knock it!

You don't know people's situations, incomes etc. Don't knock it! mad.gif

Edited by tunaFish

But compare it to a concert T-Shirt, which costs like literally $40.00. But people buy them in mass, and they almost always sell out by the end of the show, and people pay the money because they love the band, but the money goes right to the merchandiser and the band.

Here, the markup I feel is quite reasonable. When I determined price, several things went into the factor. The cost...I used only the best tshirt and sweatshirt, I loooked at what other sites were charging for sweatshirts and tshirts, I asked what I needed to raise to overcome the money I laid out for the shirts and make enough profit to run the site AND purhase more items. I surveyed some members to see what they thought was in the reasonable range.

In addition to raising money, as I said one of the reasons for the shirt were to promote the site and show the soladarity of the message. And it still amazes me how many people will buy those "I'm a Firefighter Look At My Hose" tshirts or only want T-Shirts with intricate screenprint of firetrucks on the back.

As for the selling during parades, etc, I'm sure I'd sell a lot but I don't know if I could or want to do that at this point.

I wonder if I would sell more shirts without the message on the back? I'm also considering discounts for Verified Members with certain post counts. Also, discounted or free shipping.

Then again, it's like all the people who read the site and don't contribute their knowledge that they have. Again, I'm not doing this as a for-profit venture, I'm doing this because people enjoy and want it, and although stressful at times enjoy it. I just can't afford to handle everything out of my personal pocket.

There will be something service oriented released later this week. Stay tuned. Thanks to everyone for all thier support.

Oswego that was fu(k!ng hilarious bro....you nearly made me spit out my coffee when I read it.

Seth...I apologize, I thought you are Kris were gonna let me know when the new batch came in...despite being one of your boys wink.gif , I was left out of the size I needed last time... unsure.gif

I'll send you another email to remind you so I can get at least one and if you're feeling up to it I'd like to come by and pick it up and BS for a few.

Mabe do a booth at the walk at the Childrens Hospital next month ?

Someone should volunteer to try to sell everything at any event posted here. The Pancake Breakfast in Peekskill, the Burn Foundation Spaghetti dinner in Eastchester, Bedford Hills Ham night and any other event.

Get someone down the Greenburgh DPW, snatch up those damaged truck tubes and start selling helmet bands. That thread is still running and most the bands online sell for around $3 plus shipping. Its pure profit.

Next you can order EMTBravo Group Doo Rags...for the inner city peeps on the board!

Mabe do a booth at the walk at the Childrens Hospital next month ?

Uh shouldn't any profits of any sales go to the children's hospital after all it is their walk

I say charge for membership..... I'd pay to be a member....

Uh shouldn't any profits of any sales go to the children's hospital after all it is their walk

First off, you're absolutely correct. We're not going to sell at other's fundraisers. Also, we're not going to hock shirts at parades.

Once merchandise is gone, that's it- all sales for now will be through this site- in the future I may have a firehouse rep/reseller program.

But I do appreciate everyones input and support.

I agree, I think there have been a bunch of great ideas. I think now that the temperature is going up sweatshirts would be less of an option. I was also thinking, there are a lot of EMS people on this site, maybe something like pen lights? I also do agree with a donation button, something that is quick and easy (even though buying the shirts are easy) then you could pick a price, even a couple dollars.

There's new EMTBravo merchandise coming out that's service oriented. I hope to get it in this week- it think it'll be a hit and a suprise.

Also, forgot to add in my last post (some have already mentioned)....with clothing marketing especially, once people see these shirts, they'll want one or some for themselves. I'm confident these shirts will sell themselves once they start getting out there more...thanks to those who ordered this weekend, there was quite a surge and I appreciate it.....but, a lot are consistently contributing members of this site- I want to start seeing new names on my packing slips!

your not doing anything wrong.. $11.99 for a t-shirt thats more than reasonable ...Go walk through the Westchester and take a look in Armani or abercrombie and t's are $30 with the same amount of graphics as the EMTBRAVO's.....it just takes time and exposure of the shirts. With the amount of effort you put into this site and everything else that goes along wiht this site you should have no trouble it just takes time

I'd reccomend that when you go to firehouses for apparatus, etc. pics. Tell them about the sites, the products, etc...... I'm pretty sure FF's will sell the idea to other FF's.

Mike

That's a great idea, just thought the site might get more exposure since it is from the area. The walk was packed last year,as I said ,in the past my Daughter has spent alot of time there and we have made alot of friends with the staff. It's nice to walk for the childrens hospital and raise money , they do a great job and it's all about the kids.

Edited by drobison82

At this point, I'm closing this topic.

Sales have increased. In fact, I was confused and sales weren't that bad to begin with.

I intend to put more products out in the future on http://www.EMTBravoCentral.com

Please note that aside from making money, my goal with these shirts was also to promote the site and it's message.

I also would like to take this moment to thank everyone who's made a purchase for their support. .

If anyone has suggestions fror products, please EMAIL (not PM) me at EMTBravo@EMTBravo.com. Note that I have a lot of ideas for products to begin with, but a lot require a significant capital $$ outlay and quantity.

One more thing, I will be figuring out the total cost it takes to run this site every month, and posting that.