Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest bibbles10504

Use of LED lights on apparatus?

19 posts in this topic

I was looking online now about LED lights. I was just thinking, with all the LEDs that are getting put on apparatus and in the light bars why dont we finish off the whole apparatus? They make some pretty powerful LED's now, and i saw some that you can put in headlights. I'm assuming you can get LED flood lights and pretty much any other lighting that you want. I think the postive thing about these is they dont burn out, and with the increasing amount of electronics were putting everywhere, LEDs require less power, so you can have the power where you need it.

I think it would be something interesting to consider. Anyway, just my thoughts, what does everyone else think of using LEDs more?

We have rigs here with all LED lighting packages, and yes they are bright. However, personal opinion, I think a nice mix of regular rotating lights, (LED with the reflector rotating around it), strobes and LED makes for an effective warning light package. Sometimes it's better not to have them in spots where they may dazzle, or blind oncoming traffic. It gets the point across, without making it too much.

Some of the arrangements that I have seen that I think have a lot of good aspects are in the general apparatus functions. Something as simple as turn signals and brake lights being setup with LEDs are a great step forward.

Don't get me wrong, LEDs have MANY other purposes, but it does seem that many seem to take it too far and exceed necessities, and are merely out for the look of a UFO as some do Mach 300 to calls.

The "animated" turn signals (similar in concept to arrow sticks) catch the eyes more than just a blinking amber light, which in conjunction with the arrangement of warning lights, can be overlooked. Something that can be a great advantage, maybe to help from getting confused with the other warning lights on the vehicles.

Also, dual intensity brake light setups. As many cars have today, a low intensity setup for "running lights" that dual as brake lights. As the brakes are activated, the intensity increases, sometimes with a double or triple flash just to catch the attention of following motorists.

I do agree with JBE, there has to be some happy medium intertwining the use of rotating lights and strobes. I had at one point thought of the same idea as JBE said, replacing the halogen bulb in a rotator with an LED. Same effect, but brightness and replacements become nearly unneeded.

I think the heyday of halogens in general are long since gone, strobes are still strong, but on their way out, and the LED is paving the way to cheaper (in the long run), cost AND visually effective warning, as well as other functions.

LED flashlights have come a LONG way since their humble beginnings as well.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

They've also come a long way since they were used primarily for traffic lights here.

All the new rigs in ny are all LED, which is a big mistake. On corners/intersection lights they should still be strobes, and clear ones at that. The Excursions have the clear strobes on the fender and its a huge help as LED's do not bend around corners like a flash of light does, I see it already that they are about half as effective as strobes and when you work in a grid area you really need that light to be pre-emptive in its warning.

our newest truck has LED's only on the truck

Headlights too?

I think LEDs should be used a lot more than they are. There does seem to be a midpoint between using LEDs and strobes for emergency lights, but I think LEDs could be used a lot more to save more power like over the pump panel, in the cabs, headlights, possibly some flood lights.

Edited by bibbles10504

I prefer a combination also when it comes to fire apparatus. Particulary in the area where some of you have mentioned the use of LED's for brake lights and turn signals. If the lighting package is all LED your brakes and turn signals will just blend in with the rest of them particularly those of you whom design laser light shows. I also am not a fan of clear strobes, I prefer the style that is split between red and a very light shade of amber. They are highly effective.

As far as being preemptive in a grid area. I partially agree that it does help, but how many people honestly in our most of our areas pay any attention to that anyway? The pre-emption is that of the operator and assume the unexpected or what most of call "the expected," and ensure you have the right of way before proceeding through a grid particulary if it is a controlled intersection.

Perhaps the word preemptive was used in the wrong context. We dont have opticom at work, it was purely meant as taking possesion before others, so basically telling all those gypsy cabs and crazy dominicans to stay out of our way!

dariens new engine are almost all led even the compartment lights

I'm going to take the chance to post an observation about lights. Nothing to do with this topic, except to say: "DON'T DO TOO MANY!"

I was driving in Mamaroneck, at night, when I passed a tow truck. We'll call it, "V's" towing. This wrecker had MORE lights that were RED WHITE and AMBER than I've ever seen. Forget warning, I was BLIND and that to me seems pretty dangerous. Good thing I'm not epileptic either, YIKES!

LED lights do burn out, it is a misnomer that they do not. The great advantage is that is one diode burns out, it is not that noticeable do to the candlepower of the diodes combined. Also too LED area a directional beam of light, so its intensity when viewed at angles are not as powerful looking when looking straight on.

Having all LED's is a great advantage in the sense of low power drain of a vehicle's electrical system but at the same token, having too much of the same style "flash patters" won't be captured by the eye or have the brain process the difference. Remember the original strobes with at one single flash pattern? Think the same way. Breaking up they type of lights help helps people recognize the "flash difference" of warning lights. Do get me wrong LED is great and they will be taking the place of strobes I think, but using a good combination does make a visual difference.

Or new pumper has a Federal Aero Hawk front lightbar and two rear fast rotaters for th etop line of the vehicle and the perimeter zones are Federal LED's with an 3 flash per head alternating / 3 flash all light head pattern that really catches the eye, simple but effective and we just hae a standard 1901 package.

Our new tanker is completely LED, minus the headlights, scene lights, flood lights, and directional stick. We turn nighttime into day with that thing...

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS L.E.D.S ARE TO NEW WAVE OF LIGHTING WHEN THERE DONE PROPERLY . YES YOU CAN WASHOUT BRAKE AND TURN SIGNAL LIGHTS IF YOUR LAYOUT IS NOT CORRECT. IF YOU DO A LITTLE RESEARCH ON WHELEN L.E.D.S YOU WILL FIND THAT ALL ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL. THEY DO MAKE MANY L.E.D. LIGHT HEADS THAT THEY CALL LINEAR LIGHTS THAT YOU CAN SEE FROM MULTIBLE DIRECTIONS AND THEY MAKE A 900 SERIES IN WHAT THEY CALL A TRIPLE K (KKK) THAT HAS L.E.D.S ON THE LEFT AND RIGHT SIDES OF THE LIGHT THAT ARE DIRECTIONAL IN THERE HOUSING. THEY ARE BRIGHTER, FASTER FLASHING AND LONGER LASTING AND FOR MOST LIGHT BARS THEY DO HAVE A LOW POWER FEATURE

FOR THE FOGGY RAINY NIGHTS THAT MOST INSTALLERS DO NOT USE .

I DO FIND THERE IS A GREAT AMOUNT OF PEOPLE THAT LOVE THEM AND HATE THEM !

4-2

LED headlights and flood lights wouldnt work so well... LEDs dont project the light nearly as far as halogen lights do

All the new rigs in ny are all LED, which is a big mistake.  On corners/intersection lights they should still be strobes, and clear ones at that.  The Excursions have the clear strobes on the fender and its a huge help as LED's do not bend around corners like a flash of light does, I see it already that they are about half as effective as strobes and when you work in a grid area you really need that light to be pre-emptive in its warning.

That was the point I was trying to make. Thank you for expanding.

All the new rigs in ny are all LED, which is a big mistake.  On corners/intersection lights they should still be strobes, and clear ones at that.  The Excursions have the clear strobes on the fender and its a huge help as LED's do not bend around corners like a flash of light does, I see it already that they are about half as effective as strobes and when you work in a grid area you really need that light to be pre-emptive in its warning.

If you use a light head that is strictly a "motherboard" let's call it, like see on the Whelen Flatlighter as pictured below, you will not get good light "bending".

Whelen Flatlighter

user posted image

A great advancement in the recent past has been the incorporation of reflective housings, which does allow the LED's light to reflect, and spread out, and not be uni-directional. Lets use, for example, the Whelen Talon. In front of the row of 8 LEDs, there is a clear plastic strip which breaks up and disperses the single direction light, and lets it bounce around inside of the reflective housing, and the light spreads out to a wider viewing area. The reflective housing is also a concept used in many, if not most strobe packages as well. Now I am not saying that by themselves strobes do not disperse light well, I know they do, but they also do incorporate reflective housings to enhance their light dispersal.

Whelen Talon

user posted image

If you use a light head that is strictly a "motherboard" let's call it, like see on the Whelen Flatlighter as pictured below, you will not get good light "bending".

Whelen Flatlighter

user posted image

A great advancement in the recent past has been the incorporation of reflective housings, which does allow the LED's light to reflect, and spread out, and not be uni-directional. Lets use, for example, the Whelen Talon. In front of the row of 8 LEDs, there is a clear plastic strip which breaks up and disperses the single direction light, and lets it bounce around inside of the reflective housing, and the light spreads out to a wider viewing area. The reflective housing is also a concept used in many, if not most strobe packages as well. Now I am not saying that by themselves strobes do not disperse light well, I know they do, but they also do incorporate reflective housings to enhance their light dispersal.

Whelen Talon

user posted image

In reference to 'flat' style, does FDNY's LED's count as flat or do they bend light more than i've seen on youtube?

Mike

LED's are great lights w/ great technology, but they are not meant for every rig nor are they great at every angle. only 3rd generation (the ones w/ the larger diodes) LED's are just a little bit better at an angled view, but still no comparison to a strobe or rotating intersection light