Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest bibbles10504

"Phone Dialing" sound thing on 46.26?

14 posts in this topic

I just have a quick question which I hope someone can help me out with. I'm listening to the scanner on 46.26 and occasionally you here something like morse code, or dialing a telephone over the radio. I always wondered what that was. Does anyone know?

Thanks

I hear the same thing at work on 46.36. Its most likely interference or something the scanner is picking up or someone transmitting on that frequency but on a different PL?. Sometimes, i even hear bus drivers talking to each other lol.

I'm thinking Knox Box tones...

The morse code sounds could also be the station identifiers sending over the call letters for the license by FCC regs. This was rare with 46.26 for years...however with the amount of cross band repeaters operating anymore it could be for that frequency's license call sign being transmitted on the UHF freq and low band.

I also know that there are departments that use such tones to activate their audio alert devices like horns, sirens and even traffic light control devices. It tells them when to go off and how many rounds/signals to send out.

As stated above it is most likely a knox box being activated. you will not hear the oficer ask for the knox box to be activated over the radio. the oficer will generally land line dispach and tell them to unlock the key to the knox box.

you will also hear it on other frequencies as well. For example if you listen to greenwich or stamford you will hear the same type of sound. However this is generally the result of some one keying up a mike and activating one of the towers.

What you are hearing is either the identifier broadcasting the station callsign in CW, or a DMTF tone, which could control any number of things over any radio system, changing PL's, activating towers/horns/tones, or unlocking Knox Boxes. Ham Radio repeaters use it for transmitter control and autopatching, and any other radio based function.

It is in fact Knox Box DTMF codes you are hearing. Of course, there is always the "faster" DTMF tones which are used to activate Ossining's horns and house sirens, but those are transmitted with the usual Quick-Call tones everyone else has.

Cliffside Park NJ's structure fire tone is long tone & a Dial like signal

As stated above it is most likely a knox box being activated.  you will not hear the oficer ask for  the knox box to be activated over the radio.  the oficer will generally land line dispach and tell them to unlock the key to the knox box. 

They might call when it is an install, but i have never had a request via landline during an alarm to release there knox box the request has always been over the radio

But I agree knox box tones you are hearing.

I thought it was aliens trying to communicate with me late at night. smile.gif

I believe Ossining Police--when they dispatch the FD also has that after the tones. My guess is that it activates the siren's around town. Chappaqua had that also when New Castle PD was dispatching if my memory serves me correctly.

If they are Knox tones from a dispatch center, the request may be made from an 800mhz system, and the tones go out over the FD's old loband freq. like they're in the midst of a changeover to 800. I think there are still places that use both lo/hi band and 800 daily.