Is 60 Control for real?

13 posts in this topic

Date:4/4/07

Time:

Frequency:

Units Operating:

Description Of Incident: MVA

Writer: EXDC203

There is no way that Fairview should have been dispatched to that call. Elmsford covers between exit 1 and exit 4. Mutual aid....ok....primary....no way

I could be mistaken, but i believe that this incident was originally dispatched as I-287 EB IAO the Rt. 119 overpass. I believe additional calls, as well as confirmation from Rescue-3, placed this incident at its actual location.

The 119 overpass is STILL verymuch inside Elmsford's district!

Well...........yes it matters. I would like to think that the "qualified" dispatchers know the PROPER agency to dispatch.

Date:4/4/07

Time:

Frequency:

Units Operating: 

Description Of Incident:  MVA

Writer: EXDC203

There is no way that Fairview should have been dispatched to that call.  Elmsford covers between exit 1 and exit 4.  Mutual aid....ok....primary....no way

EXDC203,

If you listened to the initial dispatch the original location of the incident was well inside Fairview's coverage area. I287 EB mile marker 3.0(ramp from RT119-tarrytown rd) is covered by Fairview FD(per their own protocols) when the call was update by thruway state police to I287 EB at exit 3 it then was put into Elmsford FD district, so yes 60 control is for real and it is easy to sit in a room with a scanner and critique that which you do not know but thanks for your concern

With all due respect here did the job get done? Yes!

It's my understanding it was a very bad call with

a possible fatality.

If I was on fire trapped in a car I'd be happy ANY

fire engine showed up.

I think Elmsford FD and Fairview FD deserve a pat

on the back. WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER!

-Numerous Calls,

-Numerous Callers,

-Conflicting Reports,

I monitored this whole incident on Westchester County Fire and

NYSP Thruway radios.

Fairview FD continued up I-287 when nothing was found

at the original location.

DON'T BASH 60-CONTROL!

Help was sent!

Well said RWC the only thing that matters is that help came and not whose district it was

Dispatching is no easy task, the information they relay down the to the units in the field is only as good as the caller who reports the incident. Given the nature of the call and the weather conditions/time of day you have to factor in hysterical callers and drivers who are not quite sure where they are on 287. This sort of thing happens, its just part of the job. You know, i find it amazing how people often gravitate towards the bad these days, without even taking a few seconds to think.

Like RWC said, this isn't about who gets to take their battle wagon out for a spin, its about getting the job done as quick and safe as possible. The most important thing is that units found the accident, redirected emergency services in, and the patients treated and transfered to definitive care.

Edited by 66Alpha1

Just a quick question on Westchester's FD's coverage area.... I know 60 control has the coverage areas listed, but is there a map of it, or anything which lays out specific coverage areas?

Who cares what dept was sent 1st...the matter at hand is that someone was in need and someone responded. Should they wait til the lone trooper assigned to the tway is on scene and confirm which dept is sent...Hell NO!!!!! ExDC whatever...if you were a deputy chief well then I am glad you are not anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously you don't care about the person that was trapped in the burning car.

WAY TO GO FAIRVIEW!!! especially for hunting the job down and not just saying oh well it ain't ours. Call volume is bullshit...excuse the french...our priority and the reason this website is here is that we should work together for the common good!

The thruway system is a mess...borders should overlap at least 1 exit and maybe even 2 miles so that it is definitely covered. I mean think about it...the Yonkers tolls aren't even covered by the closest company on 87...they are in Ardsley FD's district...both dept's should roll immediately and learn to WORK TOGETHER! ........

Also callers on major highways get confused easily...especially if they call and don't stop...they could easily be guessing by the time they actually speak to a call taker...trying to remember where exactly it was and what they saw...not everyone thinks like a first responder.

I didn't hear this happen but from my understanding, it was a job well done by all hands on scene

I remember my first car fire we were dispatched to be in our district on the saw mill by the Mount Kisco/Bedford Hills line. we didn't find anything so we went on to find the car fire in mount Kisco closer to Chappaqua then it was to Bedford Hills. we called MK and as they responded, we put the fire out. when they got there, they knocked the rest of the fire down and overhauled. But is all of this really the dispatchers fault. After all, doesn't cad tell the dispatcher what to send?

So my point being i don't exactly know how the whole cad system works but as far as I know, the dispatcher does nothing but send the rigs out that the cad system tells him/her to. some one please correct me if I am wrong.

60-Control has a CAD system (Computer Aided Dispatch)

You put in an address and it will tell you what FD, EMS, PD area covers it.

It's also set up by department requests. First due, Second due, M/A units, Etc.

60-Conrol does a damn good job!

LET'S NOT FORGET........

WARNING

This is the INCIDENT WORKSHOP Forum. This forum is to provide supplemental and breaking information in regards to the IA, as well as to ask legitamate questions regarding the incident. It is also a forum for those on scene and involved in the incident to provide additional information to members. This forum IS NOT for the critiquing of incidents or questioning any decisions made by the incident commander. Negative comments of any type will not be tolerated. Please post only factual, pertinent information. This forum is not for the bashing of any agency or person. Posts deemed not appropriate for this forum will be locked, moved or deleted with or without notice. For further information on this subject, please read the Statement On Site Content and other threads contained in this forum. Thank you for your cooperation.

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN CLOSED!