Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Spanish speaking firefighter exam offered again

44 posts in this topic

From Midhudsonnews.com

Spanish speaking firefighter exam to be offered again

Newburgh – For the second time, a Spanish language civil service exam will be given for potential Newburgh city firefighters. The first was administered two years ago and led to the hiring of four bilingual members.

Fire Chief James Merritt said he would hope to grow the department’s minority population even more.

“We would like to get our department as closely as we can to reflect the community we serve,” he said. Right now, Newburgh is about 30 percent Hispanic, 30 percent African American and the remainder all others. “We’re not getting anywhere near those numbers, but we’re getting better every year and it certainly helps to reflect the community that we serve.”

The last filing date for the exam is April 30. The test will be given on June 2 and persons may take it in either Spanish or English.

Merritt said there are no firefighter openings right now in the 63-person force; however, at least two firefighters are expected to retire in August, opening up those slots.

so now people are going to have to learn spanish to communicate in a fire?

That's fine, as long as they are also fully fluent in the ENGLISH language as well.

Don't you still have to be an American Citizen? What about proof of Selective Service registration? Have I been out of the Civil Service pool that long?

as long as engligh is always primary, go ahead n teach them chinese fire lingo.

Don't let NYC DCAS hear about this, If they do I can only imagine what the next FDNY test will be like.

Just another fine example of why this job has gone down the $hitter! mad.gif

Listen, they give exams for Spanish speaking Police Officer, and Dispatcher in most places. They also have a number of bilingual positions in the county and yonkers city offices. I highly doubt that they are giving this exam in Spanish. I would think that if you are able to speak Spanish, you just pay extra to be placed on 2 lists when you take the exam (like I usually do). Then you have the oppurtunity to be hired off of one or the other. And, in some places you are paid a stipend or raised a grade to offer these services to the public. As well, I believe it is important to offer services to all of those whom live here. I am not in agreement with allowing all of the illegal immigrants to remain here and not pay taxes but they are here and we should do our best to meet the needs of the community. Not all are here illegally, some people are elderly and moved here but never learned the language. We all say...if you live her you should learn it, but people come here for oppurtunity and we were born here and just take what we have for advantage. This department is doing the right thing...adapt, overcome, accomplish!!! More localities should follow this leadership and do what they say they are here to do! Serve there Community!!!!

Listen, they give exams for Spanish speaking Police Officer, and Dispatcher in most places.  They also have a number of bilingual positions in the county and yonkers city offices.  I highly doubt that they are giving this exam in Spanish.  I would think that if you are able to speak Spanish, you just pay extra to be placed on 2 lists when you take the exam (like I usually do).  Then you have the oppurtunity to be hired off of one or the other.  And, in some places you are paid a stipend or raised a grade to offer these services to the public.  As well, I believe it is important to offer services to all of those whom live here.  I am not in agreement with allowing all of the illegal immigrants to remain here and not pay taxes but they are here and we should do our best to meet the needs of the community.  Not all are here illegally, some people are elderly and moved here but never learned the language.  We all say...if you live her you should learn it, but people come here for oppurtunity and we were born here and just take what we have for advantage.  This department is doing the right thing...adapt, overcome, accomplish!!!  More localities should follow this leadership and do what they say they are here to do!  Serve there Community!!!!

If you want to live here, learn the language. Being bilingual is great and maybe that person can get a stipend for his/her skill after being tested on a predetermined standardized scale. However, how can you, in good conscious, hire anyone who doesn't have a mastery of the primary language for a job in which communication is central? If your going to give a test in Spanish then the City should teach all of their FD personnel Spanish as well.

The logic at work here is severely flawed. This isn't about Spanish speaking immigrants either, take Spanish and insert any language you wish - its about PR, plain and simple.

Edited by 66Alpha1

No one ever said Spanish has to be your primary language...a lot of people speak both and some people took the time to learn the second language as a part of their education and take pride in stuff like that. In most countries you are raised and taught at the very least 2 languages if not more! There is at least one police officer I work with that can speak 7 languages...he grew up overseas...and I have never had trouble understanding his english...There are people that only speak english that to this day I can't understand a word out of their mouth!

No one ever said Spanish has to be your primary language...a lot of people speak both and some people took the time to learn the second language as a part of their education and take pride in stuff like that.  In most countries you are raised and taught at the very least 2 languages if not more!  There is at least one police officer I work with that can speak 7 languages...he grew up overseas...and I have never had trouble understanding his english...There are people that only speak english that to this day I can't understand a word out of their mouth!

Then how do you rationalize offering a Spanish test? If someone is bi/tri/quad-lingual or whatever then wouldn't they just take the English test? It appears that this test is geared towards someone who has a better grasp on the Spanish language than the English - correct me if im wrong.

Edited by 66Alpha1

You are WRONG...you take the same damn test...you just sign up for 2 separate lists and then when they are hiring you take a proficiency exam!!!!! You have to prove you can speak spanish as well as english! just like when you take a 911 dispatcher exam...you have to take a typing proficiency!!!! if you can't type you assed out...same thing here....however you would still be eligible on the regular list...It sometimes gives an advantage to a person more qualified than you that can speak 2 languages...still has to pass the psych, physical portion and go through the academy...but when they go on jobs and have to find out if anyone is in the house they are able to to do so where someone who doesn't speak Spanish would not be able to! Get it yet?

Edited by Oswegowind

I bet the people taking the Spanish test get 60 credits right off the bat......

I don't think so! Once again....well better off, you and I take the test, I just happen to speak spanish so I pay an extra $xx and sign up for the test twice, once on list number xxx-x and again on xxx-y. I take one multiple choice civil service exam...you take the same exact exam. After we are scored, we both get a 96 and we are listed based on filing date...so say you file feb 1 and I was lazy and file feb 15...list comes out and you are #1 and I am #2. However, on the Spanish list I am #1 cause you don't speak spanish and I do, and I was clever enough to sign up for both exams. Now we go and take our physical agility exams and we both pass. So we qualify for the next open position. A position opens up 6-8 months later, the dept decides they need to hire someone who speaks spanish to assist with community service in that aspect and to teach fire prevention to residents who are learning english but would better understand in spanish for right now. Instead of filling the position off the regular list they change the position through addendum of charter (or something) and make it a spanish speaking firefighter position. I am then sent to a county office to take a proficiency exam. I have to prove I can write, speak, and comprehend spanish well enough to assist those who speak it as their primary language. There are currently three levels of proficiency and some jobs require you to be very proficient or fluent, and some that are not so important allow you to be able to just get by. I go in to the proficiency exam and pass on Level "B" (level "A" is fluent)... this is the cut off for police officer and 911 dispatcher that I have seen so far. I am then canvassed for the position...and fortunately for me I am 1 of 3 however only 2 of us took the test so I am hired. Sorry but I am actually more qualified than you are for the current open position, and because of this they intend to pay me a little bit more because they need this service and feel it is important. Once again...we scored the same...we both passed the agility...but I got the job because I was what they needed at the time...You don't get automatic points...it is a separate list...however...some places may hire me over you anyways...cause I speak spanish...even though they did not advertise this...they can pick 1 of 3 for each open position...

I respect the fact that it is necessary to have bilingual personnel, but everyone should take the same test in the same language. It is important that everyone speak the same fluent language because it creates less of a communication problem. This seems to be another way to promote diversity.

The most qualified individuals should get the job. Fully qualified candidates should not be passed because a less qualified candidate will add diversity and/or fill a quota.

Once again are you reading the posts??? The test is exactly the same...it is written in ENGLISH ENGLISH ENGLISH they are just looking for someone that is able to comprehend and speak spanish the test is not written in Spanish!

Now if you want to jump ahead for jobs...since you are probly still in high school take Spanish now and in College take it every year and learn it well...then when you take a civil service test you will be better off. You do not have to be Hispanic, you can be any race and just be able to speak the language well enough to help people.

this minority crap is getting a little out of hand !! hire the best qualified! ohh and speaking the langauge of AMERICA may help!

where is the leaky toilet?... El leako toiletto, Theres your spanish right there.

I fail to see the purpose of this practice. I support bi-lingual employees, I also support extra pay for those who are. However, there is no reason to offer the test in another language. With no disprespect to anyone who's first language is not English, I want any responder or dispatcher to have the best possible command of English. If they still think in another language, how good can their English really be? They say that when you begin to think in a language, you truly know the language and are fluent. Well, if these people think in Spanish not English, then I don't think they're the best fit. If they think fluently in both, then there should be no problem with their taking the test in English. Further, I don't think it's fair that they get an extra chance to take the exam just because they have skill others do not. By all means reward them for that skill, but do it AFTER they are not hired, not before!

Its nice to see how for some of you that your minds are about as open as your language skills.

THE TEST IS IN ENGLISH...TRY READING ALL THE POSTS, the only difference is if you speak spanish to the level of proficiency of another test you must take you get on that list.....DUH. The last time I checked, there are no fire academy's in spanish, and all our tests are in english. Check your facts.... Now maybe I'm getting an idea...some of you haven't even mastered english yet.

Yo hablo espanol.

So does that mean I made the job go down the $hitter? Or is it that the fact that most can't move on with soceity or past tradition keep it that way? I was born and raised here, but learned spanish, so should I move? Oh yeah for those of you whom don't even know what that means up above...I speak and understand spanish. I think in english, I operate in english and often have to convert and think about what to say and do in spanish...so that makes me what to some of you? There are police officers and dispatchers whom do a fantastic job everyday whose primary language was spanish. There is a need for spanish speaking firefighters, spanish fire prevention and cpr, etc. I was one in high school who was anti-second language and boy did I learn quick how dumb that was in the Marine Corps. I got my a$$ in college, got my medic, working on a teaching degree and took spanish courses. And why mostly? Because it was hard and I wanted to help more.

Have you all forgotten that most of your ancestors came off a boat at some point? And don't all try to give me that amercian indian line of bull$hit either. How about the american dream? Its terrible that many still look at our country as the place to live with the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of hapiness. But that's okay, that only applies to you. So sorry to 1/3 of the population...we will just demean you, although most intelligent, professional emergency services providers get frustrated at the fact that we can't communicate with you, but its all on you, despite english is one of the most difficult languages to learn and master. Sorry...we don't change...we're the fire and emergency medical services.

If you don't have all the facts or an understanding of how a process works, find out before you blab away.

Legal, illegal or even a citizen that speaks spanish has the same civil rights you do. In fact most of them do jobs you would even dare or could think of. You're opinions on immigration and whether someone is even illegal or not has nothing to do with our job. We help people...leave your bigotry at the door.

Kind of funny considering that one of the mainstay's of becoming involved in special forces for years has been the ability to speak more then one language. Our military scoops up those that can speak mulitple languages to protect us. And that's right gang...even spanish.

Hire the most qualified? So if we both get 100% on the test...and I also speak spanish, but you have a college degree...who do you think should get it? Fact is you could take someone with a masters degree and put them next to a person whom is bilingual...and the person whom is bilingual will already seem more intelligent than the other.

As far as the chief's quote...I have taught several Newburgh members in 2 academy classes. They were all intelligent, professional and proficient. And guess what...it just so happened that a couple of them were hispanic and spoke spanish and they were often the most mature and proficient in the class. So if I was on Newburgh's list, and they scored higher then me, I have no gripe..they scored, I didn't and oh we all are on the spanish speaking list which we need. Works for PD...but of course it won't work for the fire service. lol.

In Cali, you can take the driver's test in English, Spanish and Dude! tongue.gif

I still don't see the point of giving a civil service test in two languages (the original article says you can take the test in either English or Spanish). If the concern is bilingual employees, then offer a stipend if they can pass a proficiency test once they have been hired. A close friend's brother was in military intelligence and they offered a similar program. He took a test on whatever language he knew and was then given x dollars extra a month.

Edited by 66Alpha1

Bienvenido Estados Unidos! Ahoro hablo ingles!!!

(I think that's right)

Translation: Welcome to the United States! Now speak English!!!

Ok, from the article that was origionally posted, I concluded just as some others have that the test IS given in Spanish. Now some posters are claiming otherwise. I have only one request: if you are claiming that you know the test is given in only English, please tell the rest of us, where did you get this information? Please sight your sources so the rest of us can have an informed discussion because as someone who understands english very well (and I really resent some of the bashing going on about this), I stand by my interpretation of the article and my response!

Ok, from the article that was origionally posted, I concluded just as some others have that the test IS given in Spanish. Now some posters are claiming otherwise. I have only one request: if you are claiming that you know the test is given in only English, please tell the rest of us, where did you get this information? Please sight your sources so the rest of us can have an informed discussion because as someone who understands english very well (and I really resent some of the bashing going on about this), I stand by my interpretation of the article and my response!

http://www.newburgh-ny.com/civil/docs/FFSS07.pdf

this explains what they do for the test

So, let me get this right. Your getting your information from the NEWSPAPER, not the OFFICIAL EXAM ANNOUNCEMENT?

If everyone spent as much time reading the announcement as bashing Hispanics, this thread would have been three posts long.

EFD184 THANK YOU for providing the proof that others did not before bashing members on the forum! After reading the document, it is clear that those who pass the regular FF civil service test are give a Spanish proficency exam to qualify for what looks like a bi-lingual FF opening. I still have some reseverations about openining an official bi-lingual FD position like this, but this answers alot of the questions. If this document refers to what the article referred to, then the reporter who wrote it is the only one who needs a lesson in English b/c the article DOES NOT represent the true situation.