Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Enough Trash Pumps?

11 posts in this topic

I'm curious. When the flood waters receed, is there enough trash pumps to go around?

I know that that's one of the biggest needs after a disaster such as the one in Mamaroneck. I know some departments have a couple, and some departments just rely on little pumps.

Since the County has provided items like ATV's, would a trash pump trailer with plenty of trash pumps for a flooding incident be worth it?

Maybe even a flood response unit with an hovercraft as well?

AFTER SEEING THIS FLOOD ACTION TWICE RECENTLY I THINK THAT A TRASH PUMP TRAILER AND A HOVERCRAFT WOULD BE A FANTASTIC IDEA FOR THE COUNTY.

On days like this, you can NEVER have enough trash pumps.

Dont know what a trash pump is, but if its a big pump that can suck out a lot of water - can't have enough. When my parents called the FD for a pump out, they said they couldn't help us and that we would simply have to rely on bailing and a little sump pump we have all the while making sure to shut down the boiler once water rose that high. Not sure as to the reason the FD was unable to help, maybe it was lack of pumps. All i know is that this weekend im going to home depot and getting some sort of industrial pump that i can install in my parent's house so we don't end up with 2 feet of water and a destroyed basement.

I was lucky enough to not be working Sunday and Monday of this storm. I was told that the city of New Rochelle fire dept responded to over 650 calls for the first 24 hours of the storm. Having been on the working end of a tour during such a storm, I can speak about the volume of calls we recieve. I have but 1 problem and that is this; we respond to the same addresses every storm and the same thing happens. The people do nothing to help themselves. They never went out to by a sump pump from a supply house and never called anyone to install one. Why should we be expected to go to the same addresses for the same problem storm in and storm out? When should we be able to charge the people for our sevices? If you know you have a problem then you should address the situation and not always asked the fire dept for help. This is my biggest problem with storms like this and want to know what everyone else thinks.

I have to agree with ladder 12 We go to the same homes get there, people say what took so long, I'll do nothing for myself but want to come 1st and want my basement pumped wet stuff moved then floor mopped

i agree with the both of you guys but what can we do? they pay taxes we provide services thats how is it.

I have to agree with ladder 12 We go to the same homes get there, people say what took so long, I'll do nothing for myself but want to come 1st and want my basement pumped wet stuff moved then floor mopped

i agree with the both of you guys but what can we do? they pay taxes we provide services thats how is it.

How about educating them? How about directing them to programs about flood mitigation? If there is no program, someone could apply for a grant to start a homeowner guide to flood prevention, mitigation, recovery.

We pay a lot of lip service to the dreaded masses we serve but do we go back after the fact? Obviously this can't be done during the pumpout but when things go back to "normal" it could be tremendous public service and great PR for the agency.

Failing that - how about we invest in a whole boatload of pumps and rent them out every time heavy rains are predicted! Early retirement, anyone? cool.gif

Just a coupla thoughts!

It is frustrating to return to the same locations each time it rains, but the way the water comes into some of these houses, it would probably cost several thousand dollars to do something about the problem. With taxes and the cost of living as high as it is around here, I can understand why homeowners may not be able to do something to help themselves. What was more irritating to me this weekend was the people that didnt understand we couldnt help them with a half inch of water in their basement.

We're probably going to have to buy a few more small pumps, and a bigger gas pump since the number of pump outs seems to be increasing. At least a lot of the residents thank us with a nice donation to the department.

We have at least 6-8 trash pumps in our station that we could load onto our 6-wheeler trailer and bring to large jobs, or divide among the members who have pick-ups. We also have pumps on our tanker, brush truck and rescue.

You can never have enough. When Schoharie and Middleburgh were flooded out in 1996 we sent teams down for 2 days to assist with all of the pumpouts. Whenever you see contractors or anyone else getting rid of one, ask for it, fix it up and keep it handy. wink.gif

you might also consider putting together a list of contractors in your town(district) that have such equipment (or any other equipment) in an emergency or disaster, knowing who you can call for heavy equipment or dump truck or material for shoring, etc, some might help out

you also might consider that if you are tied up with many such pummpouts, referring the "problem" people to a contractor who can help out might solve the problem in the future (if they half to pay for the service) In my old department, unless it was some kind of emergency, storm pumpout we charged for the service, the same for pumping out/refilling swimming pools

the idea being, the people ought to take care of minor problems themselves, thus freeing the Department to handle emergencies