Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest firepete265

Cops summonsing Troopers, vice-versa !

21 posts in this topic

This is the latest news regarding "doing the right thing". I dont know all the details, but the jist of the story is as follows: NYPD "HIGHWAY" cop summons NYS Trooper, then, takes trpr to court and wins ! (what ever happend to professional courtesy?). Now, NYSP says any troopers that stop all and any city cops are throwing the book at them.

I heard this through the grape vine at work (which is how most rumors get started), and a rumor is what we thought it was, however, I was pulled over on the way home from work this morning, on the Taconic (NYSP) and was given a "STERN" talking to! Granted i was speeding, after a very busy warm friday night shift, just trying to get home. However the trpr. stated... "you (being NYPD) wrote one of ours, effective monday, all cops (reffering to NYPD) no matter who you are (cop or supervisor) will be hammered, let your people know!". this type of action i can see being understandable, but how long will it last? is it really fair to the rest of us when it is one person who was pointed out? what are your thoughts and does anyone else have more info???

I have yet to hear about this from any of my friends in the NYPD or NYSP, but there have been a few times throughout the years that NYPD Highway wrote either a NYSP or someone who is a cop up here in Orange, Rockland or Westchester. There have been times when local cops wrote NYPD or NYSP. Either way, this goes to show that "PROFESSIONAL COURTESY" does not exist the way it did in the past.

I have a family member that was given a speeding ticket out on the T-Way a few months ago. She just went to court the other night. The Trooper that wrote my family member did not return a phone call from an SP Investigator who I know and did not care that my father was retired from the job. $150 and 4 points later and my father who has been retired for almost 15 years was pretty livid. Back in his day, NO COPS WROTE OTHER COPS OR THEIR FAMILIES OR FRIENDS. I had to explain to my father that professional courtesy does not exist the way it did back in his day.

I hope that all this stuff is only rumor and does not lead to a war of the NY PDs.

The Trooper that wrote my family member did not return a phone call from an SP Investigator...

I had a somewhat similar experience back a few years ago...Got written on 17 up in Sullivan County and a PBA president who I know a long long time from down here called the trooper at least twice and never got a call back. Thankfully my sister knew of a lawyer up there who was able to get it down from 6 points to 2. Still $155 though.

Here is my 2 cents. I WILL NOT WRITE A COP or BUST HIS/HER BALLS unless I have too. Yes COPS ARE A**HOLES. I have been stopped many times and I get annoyed. I also Stop many cops and get annoyed. You want to read about d*ckhead cops then got to Cops who Wrirte cops.com or something like that. All stories about cops who wrtire other cops. It happens. VA is the worst state for a cop to get pulled over. They write everyone. I am at the point where I will just tell whoever to give me the ticket and I will deal with it in court.

What should be done is the this guys name should be plastered everywhere so everyone can see who he is then he will get written someday. Because you know that he prob breaks the law when he drives. WE ALL DO.

a ) Tpr's father, not the Tpr himself.

b ) Didn't go to Court, it just occurred the other day.

Edited by INIT915

Here is my 2 cents. I WILL NOT WRITE A COP or BUST HIS/HER BALLS unless I have too. Yes COPS ARE A**HOLES. I have been stopped many times and I get annoyed. I also Stop many cops and get annoyed.

What should be done is the this guys name should be plastered everywhere so everyone can see who he is then he will get written someday. Because you know that he prob breaks the law when he drives. WE ALL DO.

"AMEN"

So I guess it's not just cops going after firemen huh? That whole story is just not right,your all doing the same job no? why break eachothers(ya know). Quick story.we had a meeting at my firehouse one night and everyone that was parked on the side of the fire house received a ticket 7 in total. I mean C'mon the cop who issued them felt bad he said it came from the higher ups. One better the chiefs truck I drive received 5 tickets every morning I came out to go to work I had a present. I'm not looking for special treatment but really the truck is registered to the town of Harrison. All I wanted was to be able to park the truck close to my house not four blocks away. Halstead Ave,anyone who knows Harrison it's not easy parking on that street. Did I just ramble? Sorry.

damn kids. professional courtesy is dead. respect for others is gone with the past. i really hate growing up and seeing what i learned from my fathers John Wayne movies is no longer around.

...coming from you, thats an interesting comment.

As far as professional courtesy, never had an issue. I've been pulled over twice since i started EMS, once in uniform once not. When i was in uniform, on my way home from work, the trooper simply asked where i was going, where i was coming from and if i was volunteer or paid (which struck me as odd). The second time, when i wasn't in uniform, i simply said to the officer that if it was any recourse i was a career ems provider and my DMV record is checked by work periodically(a close friend who's a cop and a medic told me thats how i should handle an out-of-uniform situation). He understood and gave me a ticket for a seatbelt, which was a simple fine. My advice is not to be a d*ck and flaunt whatever you may be.

Edited by 66Alpha1

So I guess it's not just cops going after firemen huh? That whole story is just not right,your all doing the same job no? why break eachothers(ya know). Quick story.we had a meeting at my firehouse one night and everyone that was parked on the side of the fire house received a ticket 7 in total. I mean C'mon the cop who issued them felt bad he said it came from the higher ups. One better the chiefs truck I drive received 5 tickets every morning I came out to go to work I had a present. I'm not looking for special treatment but really the truck is registered to the town of Harrison. All I wanted was to be able to park the truck close to my house not four blocks away. Halstead Ave,anyone who knows Harrison it's not easy parking on that street. Did I just ramble? Sorry.

Some "bosses" get a hard on doing this kind of stuff. I do my best to extend a professional courtesy to all public safety personnel.

My attitude is, if you get pulled over, it doesn't matter who you are; to the Trooper or Officer who stopped you, all you are is the average Joe, and it's best to let them have all the control over the situation. If you find yourself pulled over, it's a good practice to:

- Turn your vehicle off.

- Take the keys out of the ignition and place them on the dashboard.

- If you have tinted glass, lower all your windows.

- Place your hands atop the steering wheel.

- Wait for the LEO to approach and engage you in conversation.

- Explain each and every move that you are going to make, including reaching into pockets for wallet and into console/glove box for insurance and registration.

- Don't take an attitude and wait for the LEO to ask whether you're a cop, EMT, medic, or FF. Chances are that they'll notice the ID in your wallet or lights/department plate in the window.

- And please, don't say that you're "on the job." Not only is that phrase stupid and over-used, but if you're pulled over, then you're not anywhere except on the side of the road.

If you do all of that and you're respectful, then you've just increased your chances of not getting summonsed, or in the event that you receive one, one that is of lesser value than the initial infraction for which you were stopped.

Edited by WolfEMT

On the subject of professional courtesy towards ems/fire etc. If you get a break, please don't do the same exact thing a few weeks later at the same time so the same cop is in the same location! Puts us in a hard position when we stop you the second time and just shows your lack of respect and gratitude for that favor!

Thanks

My attitude is, if you get pulled over, it doesn't matter who you are; to the Trooper or Officer who stopped you, all you are is the average Joe, and it's best to let them have all the control over the situation. If you find yourself pulled over, it's a good practice to:

- Turn your vehicle off.

- Take the keys out of the ignition and place them on the dashboard.

- If you have tinted glass, lower all your windows.

- Place your hands atop the steering wheel.

- Wait for the LEO to approach and engage you in conversation.

- Explain each and every move that you are going to make, including reaching into pockets for wallet and into console/glove box for insurance and registration.

- Don't take an attitude and wait for the LEO to ask whether you're a cop, EMT, medic, or FF. Chances are that they'll notice the ID in your wallet or lights/department plate in the window.

- And please, don't say that you're "on the job." Not only is that phrase stupid and over-used, but if you're pulled over, then you're not anywhere except on the side of the road.

If you do all of that and you're respectful, then you've just increased your chances of not getting summonsed, or in the event that you receive one, one that is of lesser value than the initial infraction for which you were stopped.

No matter who you are, if you do all that you run a good chance of not getting a ticket. More often than not, people talk themselves into a ticket!

And to add one more big one to Wolf's advice - PULL OVER RIGHT AWAY! Do NOT make the LEO follow (or chase) you!!!!!

Follow the above advice, and if the LEO doesn't notice your lights, shiny badge, starched uniform hanging in the back, oodles of stickers from fraternal and benevolent organizations, VF or EMT license plates, etc. politely tell him what you do. Let him or her decide you've earned professional courtesy - don't demand it.

Another two cents!

Isn’t speeding against the law?? When a police officer lets us off without a ticket it’s not a right it’s a courtesy, we all scream and holler slow down when we are speeding in our emergency vehicles, so what makes it so hard to obey the speed limit in our personal cars. Just obey the law and you will never have to worry about getting a ticket.

With the exception of DWI/Vehicluar Homicide etc. all traffic laws (at least in NJ) are discretionary when it comes down to decding to issue or not. A summons DOES NOT have to be issued! Some great points were made in the threads. If you get stopped and the Officer says I stopped you for ________(fill in the blank). Be humble and apologetic and advise you didn't realize what you had done you must have had your head up your butt. People that argue or deny the charge are almost certain to get a summons. P.O.'s don't generally pull people over for no reason at all. And by denying your actions you may as well call the Officer a liar. And when people say they are on the job to a P.O. we take it to mean that you are a P.O. that seems to irritate guys as well. Stay away from those words. And it is very true that most people do talk themselves into a ticket. Unless the motorist has done something so horrendous most times P.O.'s want people for their own safety to realize the mistake they made and learn from it. I have only three violations that are mandatory summonses-1)Passing a marked vehicle doing the speed limit 2)Driving on the shoulder- 3)And any action that causes me to spill my coffee biggrin.gif

Rick

I hope JCESU includes passing a stopped school bus with it's red lights on and children not secured in child safety seats to his list of mandatory violations.

JCESU,

3)Any action that causes me to spill my coffee

Isn't that a Felony? HAHA! biggrin.gif

I am not trying to stereotype, but based on my experience, and the experience of MANY, MANY other people I know...its mostly State Troopers that give people problems. I have found that most local, county or city cops have more a tight knit bond amongst each other, but the state police that I and others have dealt with, always get that power surge and love to show it off. Now, I wasnt born yesterday, I'm not disrespectful to the troopers or anything of the sort. I talking about respectable people, many of whom work for public safety (mostly fire and police, but some EMS), who would never abuse their contacts or even their own personal status, but still, not only do they ticketed, but also get a nice attitude along with it. Like many people on this topic have said, courtesy has really gone out the window, and its very disturbing, ESPECIALLY, when cops are doing it to other cops!

I hear that all the time, but I've always found troopers to be much more helpfull. Now that they are no longer handling their own tickets, its a moot point, but troopers always did right by me. Local cops blew me and my family off everytime.

Most Troopers that I have dealt when I was working or when I was off were rude to me. I don't know why they think they are better but that is what they think. I just shrug it off and go about my business.

Local Cops are hit or miss and so are State Troopers. I think LEOs from either SP or Local PDs are all humans (except the K-9s) and have days when they're crabby and days when they aren't.

I would think that their profession, just like any other, has the usual problems like poor management, etc. that in some places is worst then others. A crappy boss makes the rest of those working that job miserable. Knowing those I do in various PD agencies, I can tell who STILL likes going to work everyday and who those are that would rather not.