Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sr71

DEMERS Ambulance's

23 posts in this topic

besides Access Ambulance in Stamford are there any other DEMERS ambulance's in the tri-state area?

sr71

Philpstown in Putnam Cnty used to have 2.....They did not keep them long

Philpstown in Putnam Cnty used to have 2.....They did not keep them long

We only had 1 Demers, it was a 2003 F450. Having worked on one, i can't say it was horrible but there are definitely better ambulances. It did its job well, but at the time, i preferred using the 1996 Horton Philipstown had. I know allot of the other members and employees didn't particularly like it, that was one of the reasons why they purchased two new rigs.

Edited by 66Alpha1

Mohawk Ambulance up in Albany has started using them. They are replacing a mixture of McCoy Miller and AEV E350 type IIs. The ones we got are also type II E350s... Overall they are alright. The original batch ordered had very limited space in the patient compartment and a fairly poor setup. There were also some issues that the lighting package was apparently not effective. I know the more recent deliveries have a better designed layout in the patient compartment and the lighting issue has been resolved.

Other than the fact they look silly (AND THEY DO!) they seem to be alright. In the last year or so I am not aware of any major mechanical issues and they have balls...

From what ive heard they are cheaper than the competition explaining why we got them but as I said. they dont seem too bad.

Empire state ambulance has three and their sister company on long island has a few.

Empire state ambulance has three and their sister company on long island has a few.

Out of curiousity what is Empire's sister company?

Transcare/Metrocare had them, hmm, like 10 years ago, I don't think they buy then anymore though.

In additition to Empire and MetroCare (who i think still has them I/S), Citywide Mobile Response (based in the Bronx, NYC) has recently taken delivery of two or three type IIs. I don't particularly care for the Demers look, but the paint jobs on the the Citywide buses makes them look nice. I'm not sure, but I think one of the other volunteer 911 hospitals in NYC also has one.

In additition to Empire and MetroCare (who i think still has them I/S), Citywide Mobile Response (based in the Bronx, NYC) has recently taken delivery of two or three type IIs. I don't particularly care for the Demers look, but the paint jobs on the the Citywide buses makes them look nice. I'm not sure, but I think one of the other volunteer 911 hospitals in NYC also has one.

Lenox Hill

any pics of them?

ino that demers is big in canada

any pics of them?

ino that demers is big in canada

There are four other manufacturers up here in Canada.

Tri Star Industries right here in Yarmouth where I live: http://www.tri-star.ca/

They product all the ambulances used in the provinces of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island on a long term lease contract. That is the ambualnces are used for three years and 60, 000 KMS and switched and exchanged.

Malley's in New Brunswick: http://www.malleyindustries.com/

They produce the ambulances in New Brunswick under a province wide contract.

Crestline in Saskatchewan: http://www.crestlinecoach.com/

Medevac: http://www.medevac-rescue.com/

Edited by Reliance

ughh!

Could somebody PLEASE just make a bus that doesn't fall apart within the first 2 weeks of service! It doesn't seem to matter wether you buy an AEV, Medix, Horton, McCoy Miller, PL Custom, Crestline, or even Demers... they all just go to sh!t

oh and P.S. to the designers... we really f*cking HATE lifting the stair chair OVER the patient to put it away. could ya do something about that?

regards,

Aching back of a whiny medic

hey, guys in case your interested the discovery channel just aired an episode of their show "How it's made" with a section on ambulances. They used the demers factory and showed how demers make their millenium series as well as some shots of other demers buses.

P.S.

having worked on demers ambulances I must say they are really pretty comfortable to work in and they handle pretty well. The lighting package isn't really that horrible either. Oh and when i say their comforable to work in I mean that everything is in reach and the switches don't confuse me, their still small as hell to work in and the cab ain't no grand canyon either.

It's voluntary hospital, not volunteer. We are paid employees of the hospital.

I'm not sure, but I think one of the other volunteer 911 hospitals in NYC also has one.

ughh!

Could somebody PLEASE just make a bus that doesn't fall apart within the first 2 weeks of service!  It doesn't seem to matter wether you buy an AEV, Medix, Horton, McCoy Miller, PL Custom, Crestline, or even Demers... they all just go to sh!t

oh and P.S. to the designers... we really f*cking HATE lifting the stair chair OVER the patient to put it away. could ya do something about that?

regards,

Aching back of a whiny medic

Hey, our PL Customs are great, and the stair chair is stored in an exterior compartment...

It's voluntary hospital, not volunteer.  We are paid employees of the hospital.

I'm not sure, but I think one of the other volunteer 911 hospitals in NYC also has one.

I work at Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan and the Demers ambulances we have really don't hold up very well. Very small space to work with in the patient compartment and limited leg room in the driver's compartment. Poor exterior lighting, compartment doors break easily. Not the best ambulances i've worked with.

Paul Aiello

Of all the rigs I have operated in, the PL Customs have held up the best.

At one of my affiliations, our PL had a bunch of problems right off the bat that were all traced back to Ford. The other PL we have at my other agency is a solid workhorse that we have had no problems with. (Knock on wood).

I used to like McCoy Miller but the last one we got from them has been a royal POS.

Ambulances are like fire trucks - you get what you spec. If the stairchair is in a position that you don't like then blame nobody but the ones that wrote the specs for that rig. Personally I think they are getting too expensive - the new one on order at one of my agencies has a price tag of nearly $150K. I have said it from the start and will say it forever, that's too much for a meat wagon.

Around 1998ish, this ambulance appeared in the Mount Vernon ER bay. I believe Metropolitan Ambualce (merged with Transcare to become Metrocare then transformed again into Transcare-this bus has been repainted for each chage)

was the first in the area to have a Demers, maybe even the first in the country. I was impressed with it at the time, I do like the inside layout, especially the front console, but the inside-way too much plastic that will not hold up well.

[attachmentid=2546]

post-11-1177969719.jpg

Here's the front console of a Demers ambulance. I love how they intergrate it with the dashboard.

[attachmentid=2547]

post-11-1177969864.jpg

And here was their idea of a module. GREAT inside layout, however the use of fiberglass and plastic, the way they did it, is not going to hold up well.

[attachmentid=2548]

post-11-1177969995.jpg

thanks for the pics seth, i think that there a great bus and wish i saw more of them around here