Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

x635's Blasts From The Past

68 posts in this topic

II think there were only 2 of these ladders ever made...someone from Mahopac would know better though!

There were more then two. In NY alone they were in Mahopac, Winnona Lake (Orange), Lynbrook (Nassau) , and Oxford (Chenango). Oxfords ladder is still in service. you can see it at www.CNYFiretrucks.com

RWC130 Wrote: I think that Mahopac ladder was made custom and low so that it would fit in the Firehouse on Route 6.

Oskosh developed the chassis for the low profile. For us it was perfect for our "Old" Headquarters. There was a steel beam at the rear of the bays it had to fit under. The same chassis was also used as a pumper chassis for units at the San Fransisco Airport.

[attachmentid=2735]

post-17-1179147189.jpg

Empress buses at Mount Vernon ER bay circa 1999. Mount Vernon Hosptial was the only ER that I knew of to have "loading dock" style ambulance bays.

[attachmentid=2727]

Robert Wood Johnson University Medical Center in New Brunswick, NJ has them. And what a pain in the a$$ they are... There's nothing like having the lift up the stretcher to ensure that it locks into place so that the 400 pound fat guy you have on it doesn't fall.

OK, I have some more:

Elmsford Quad 2, 19?? International/Oren (post-refurb-not sure of the original chasis) comes down Heatherdell Rd. at the Ardsley FD Centential/WCVFA Parade in 1996.

After Quad 2 was replaced by Ladder 55, it briefly served Westchester County Fire Training Center, and after that Elmsford Water Department. I assume it has been disposed of since.

The inscription on the hood reads "Work Horse".

[attachmentid=2878]

post-11-1181255845.jpg

Route 9A by Center Street in Ardsley in the late 1970's. Flooding was a big problem in downtown Ardsley, which the Saw Mill River runs right by, until a United States Army Corps Of Engineering Project solved the issue by the early 90's.

The "Westchester Garage" building is currently being used as the temporary headquarters of Ardsley FD while they await completion of their brand new firehouse on Ashford Ave.

[attachmentid=2880]

post-11-1181256456.jpg

The former Ardsley Car 2011. A 19-something Chevrolet Suburban.

After getting a new Suburban for 2011 in 1995 (currently Car 2012), this car was sold. Even after requests by the FD to keep it and assign it as Car 2012, and then a request by the PD so they'd have a 4x4 for the steep Ardsley Hills. The Village Board denied both requests, and ended up getting about $2,000 for a very well maintain and in good shape Chevrolet Suburban with 80,000 miles on it. Ticks me off. Should have been kept.

[attachmentid=2881]

post-11-1181256850.jpg

Elmsford Quad 2 was a 1957 Oren that was refurbished twice - once to the International cab and then a second time to repair some serious rust/rot and a complete white over lime paint job.

When the current Ladder 55 was purchased, the current Tower Ladder 21 was renamed from Quint 2 and Quint 2 was assigned to the new ladder. Unfortunately, the names Quint 2 and Quad 2 were retired due to the standardized apparatus naming conventions making Quint 2 the now Ladder 55.

When Quint 2 (L55) was purchased, the Workhorse (the Quad) was temporarily retired to the Highway Dept's parking lot until the County asked the area department's if they could 'loan' a spare pumper to the training center as their engine had problems. It was Quad 2 to the rescue - with both a pump and full compliment of ladders. The Workhorse spent about 10 months there assisting in both pumping and ladder training for countless classes.

For its entire life, the Quad was a truck wuth a manual transmission. There aren't many of those around anymore.

That was about when I moved from Elmsford and lost track of the 1957 Quad that was named "The Workhorse".

Thanks for the info, Ex-2114!

I found a picture of Quad 2 in it's prime before it went Lime. tongue.gif

I don't know who the original photographer is but I will credit him/her for the photo.

[attachmentid=2883]

post-17-1181277598.jpg