Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

x635's Blasts From The Past

68 posts in this topic

Also in the lot at Hudson Valley Ambulance was this interesting 1989 Ford E-350/Collins (Collins is the parent company of Wheeled Coach).

[attachmentid=2641]

post-11-1178227040.jpg

A Bowhunter who is an active member of this site, the man who taught me the proper way to work a Tac bus, used to operate this Chevrolet Lumina, k.

[attachmentid=2642]

post-11-1178227360.jpg

New York State Thruway Authority West Nyack Section used to operate this Mack R as a barrier truck. Behind the truck, you can see the NYSTA's giant snoblower, and in the background is the Palisades Mall under construction.

[attachmentid=2644]

post-11-1178227752.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!!!

My old car made the collection!

WAYYYYY back in the day - I was the first BUFF to have hideaway strobes in the corner lights!

And yeah - we definitly miss you Tommy Sal!

Greenburgh Police Unit 70 (Car 62, Police Officer w/ EMT Cert Patrol Ambulance- now Unit 76) used to operate this 1989 Chevrolet/Braun up until the late 1990's, when it was replaced by a Ford/McCoy-Miller Type III in the at-the-time new ugly white with strip scheme.

[attachmentid=2645]

post-11-1178228224.jpg

[attachmentid=2646]

Stamford FD used to operate this as reserve Engine 8. Was it actually ever a front line piece??

What make/model is it?

post-11-1178228845.jpg

I think it served as either Engine 5 of 6. I remember seeing it in a book marked as one of these engines. Any SFRD guys remember?

Its an American LaFrance body / White chassis. I think it had a 1250 pump / 500 water.

I think the Greenburgh Highway Dept. has one of these now. I also saw one of the old GPD Ambulances labled as the GPD Tech. Rescue Team Decon Unit a while back.

I think the Greenburgh Highway Dept. has one of these now. I also saw one of the old GPD Ambulances labled as the GPD Tech. Rescue Team Decon Unit a while back.

Greenburgh PD had several of these ambulances over the years. As they get rid of them, DPW picks them up and puts them to a different uses, uisually street signs. There's one, the former 88, which is used by the highway department street sign division (which is technically a PD division). Before that, it was GPD's crime scene and arson unit, and of course before that an ambulance. It still carries the PD marking on the door since the street sign division is part of GPD technically.

It's also interesting to note the Brauns were remounted and refurbished several times before enfding their life as an ambulance.

[attachmentid=2652]

The Tech Rescue team also has one of this style as a decon unit, I think it sits in GPD's lot. I know I have seen it at the town shops and at Fairview Station 2.

And, as you can see here, the Parks and Rec department was using this old,old former Greenburgh PD ambulance in the late 90's:

[attachmentid=2651]

post-11-1178235877.jpg

post-11-1178236118.jpg

I think it served as either Engine 5 of 6.  I remember seeing it in a book marked as one of these engines.  Any SFRD guys remember?

Its an American LaFrance body / White chassis.  I think it had a 1250 pump / 500 water.

engine 5 is where it served wink.gif

Empress operated this 198? Dodge Ram Charger as their Paramedic Supervisors truck #6. Earlier in it's life, it was one of the Yonkers "flycars"

[attachmentid=2667]

post-11-1178376240.jpg

This was actually Tommy Sal's Favorite Truck. It was OOS for about 2 years and it came back in service in late '97 or early '98 but didn't last long. The steering was horrible but 301 & 300 loved it.

When I was brandy new I had to take that truck to go hospital shopping - I came doen Nep, made the turn up Ashburton to go to YGH, and the rear hatch came open - spilling the contents onto the street....

Now here is a newbie, scared white country boy with all the locals staring at me laughing....I almost left it there and pleaded ignorance... biggrin.gif

Irvington's Ladder after hosting the WCVFA parade in 1995.

[attachmentid=2673]

post-11-1178395163.jpg

great shot, the brockway is far my favorite.keep posting

is the irvington ladder a maxim?

Empress Ambulance 62. Mostly always had this bus on my Sunday Medic 32 shift.

It was a 1998ish Ford/Braun Mini Mod. It was Braun's attempt at getting into the commericial and mini mod market-this was a smaller version of their full size slopeside.

It was probaly one of the best ambulances I've worked in. The perfect amount of space, easy to manuver in tight spaces, most equipment within reach when you were working alone in back.

These ambulances replaced or added to the Empress "50 Series" Wheeled Coach Mini-Mod fleet that was used by the Yonkers ALS units. Ultimately, I think Empress had three orders/version of these- 60 and 61, 62, 63, 64 (Assigned to 38-A-1), 65, 66, 67, 68 (one was assigned to Mount Vernon A-1)

[attachmentid=2675]

post-11-1178462775.jpg

Mahopac's old Ladder at the Montrose Parade in 1995 or 1996.

[attachmentid=2676]

post-11-1178463003.jpg

Empress actually had 4 different orders of the Braun "slopesides", each w\ slight upgrades on internal design, console, lighting, siren over the next

60 & 61 (1997s)

62, 63, 64 (38A1) (1998s)

65 & 66 (65 was stolen by a skell and crashed into a tree on the Hen-Hud) ('99s)

67 (MVA1) & 68 (I believe they got them in early 2000)

Edited by x901

the mahopacs ladder looks like a oshkosh ladder.

Edited by pentax02839

[attachmentid=2646]

Stamford FD used to operate this as reserve Engine 8. Was it actually ever a front line piece??

What make/model is it?

Seth:

That rig is actually the old Squad 1, which ran as the first-due Engine Company out of Fire Headquarters (with Engine 1 running as the second piece out).

The Squad did not have the equipment like many of today's Squad pieces. It was essentially a personnel rig and responded on almost every call in the City. The rig was built on a 1980 White/Lafrance chassis.

The Squad designation was ended in 1993, due to a former Chief's preference for the term "engine" and became Engine #6 upon the arrival of the 1993 Mack MR/Ranger (now in reserve).

The Squad was then reassiged to Engine 5 from 1994 to 1995 as they awaited the arrival of the 1995 Spartan/General (which later served as Engine 2 and is now Reserve Engine 12). Following the arrival of the new Engine 5, it was placed into reserve status, where it served until recently. It has since been disposed of (thankfully).

Edited by x152

The Mahopac ladder looks like it was quite an odd sight. Seems like the seats were pretty low to the ground.

(65 was stolen by a skell and crashed into a tree on the Hen-Hud) ('99s)

UMMM I remember a story a certin medic i worked with told me, about that skell robbing an ambulance in yonkers. I wonder who that was.... rolleyes.gif

the mahopacs ladder looks like a oshkosh ladder.

It is on an Oshkosh chassis with body work by Hammerly. It is still in servie as Kingsbury Tower 383 in Washington County

[attachmentid=2677]

post-17-1178511336.jpg

that is great shot of it.thanks for the information

Empress buses at Mount Vernon ER bay circa 1999. Mount Vernon Hosptial was the only ER that I knew of to have "loading dock" style ambulance bays.

[attachmentid=2727]

post-11-1179072156.jpg

An "original" Transcare ambulance. Personally, I liked this clean, modern, simple scheme better then the current one.

[attachmentid=2728]

post-11-1179072398.jpg

County Towing Yonkers,NY always had an interesting and well kept fleet.

[attachmentid=2729]

post-11-1179072682.jpg

Empress operated this 198? Dodge Ram Charger as their Paramedic Supervisors truck #6. Earlier in it's life, it was one of the Yonkers "flycars"

[attachmentid=2667]

I remember when I started at Empress that this was in the lot but not used...Awesome vehicle to look at...just plain awesome!

Empress actually had 4 different orders of the Braun "slopesides", each w\ slight upgrades on internal design, console, lighting, siren over the next

60 & 61  (1997s)

62, 63, 64 (38A1) (1998s)

65 & 66 (65 was stolen by a skell and crashed into a tree on the Hen-Hud) ('99s)

67 (MVA1) & 68 (I believe they got them in early 2000)

Interesting story about 65 (hahaha)...I believe the brand new paramedic who was about 2 weeks in at Empress thought that it was me on the nextel and since I was a jokester thought I was f#cking with him. Until he saw the rig was really not there anymore. Great story...this was not the only time a unit was stolen...remember that night in Cottage Gdns...all I know is I was listening to a scanner and heard the county police air a hotline out of Yonkers in regards to a file 1 ambulance. Twice in like 2 years...boy it was a great JOB!

The Mahopac ladder looks like it was quite an odd sight. Seems like the seats were pretty low to the ground.

I think there were only 2 of these ladders ever made...someone from Mahopac would know better though!

I think that Mahopac ladder was made custom and low so that it would

fit in the Firehouse on Route 6.