Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Roto Ray x 2

46 posts in this topic

is it a spartan cab of a sutphen?

is it a spartan cab or a sutphen?

The cab is a Spartan... not AS ugly as that garbage looking new Sutphen cab... still pretty bad none the less.

Is it me, or are there alot of true wacker depts. in Maryland, Pennsylvania & parts of Virginia???

I'm all for making your rigs safe, but come on now rolleyes.gif !

W.................T...................F..??????????????????

Definitely an edited photo, the fixtures aren't even, one's set higher than the other??????

Nice try, though.

The cab is a Spartan... not AS ugly as that garbage looking new Sutphen cab... still pretty bad none the less.

yea i had a feeling it was spartan, no one is buying that new sutphen cab i think

Is it me, or are there alot of true wacker depts. in Maryland, Pennsylvania & parts of Virginia???

I'm all for making your rigs safe, but come on now  rolleyes.gif !

Good point.

I am not sure of their locations, but there have been several Department's featured in some of the trade magazines, who feel that 4 Federal Qs, 2 Mars lights, and a Roto-Ray are needed on the front end of a rig (on top of the dual-preconnected hydrualic tools).

Is this a safety issue or complete waste of taxpayers money? (but I am sure they generate a lot of conversation at the parades and musters........)

Look at that, they even needed a four foot bumper to hold all the cr4p!!!

To answer your question, party, it's because the agency 1/2 a mile down the road had one roto-ray and five airhorns!  The truck is also six inches bigger than theirs so  tongue.gif !

most of the Quantums usually have long bumpers. i agree that you dont really need all those warning devices but thats what they prefer. just my 2 cents.

there's a bunch of places out there that are getting 2 roto-rays and train horns... Shrewsbury in York, PA has 5 or 6  train horns on their new rescue - http://www.shrewsburyfire.com/content/apparatus/

Shrewsbury's rig is one bad@$$ truck. i seen it up at the 2005 Pennsylvania State Firemen's Convention up in Greensburg, Pa. its a very nice looking rig and very well equipped. btw, its very loud.

Edited by AVFC1699

I'm all for making your rigs safe, but come on now  rolleyes.gif !

Not trying to start an argument here, but as a former PA and MD firefighter that has been involved with departments in 6 counties.....Wacker or not, they are 9 times out of 10 top notch departments that just about every agency in Westchester could learn a thing or two from. Don't knockem until you've worked with them....

Good point.

I am not sure of their locations, but there have been several Department's featured in some of the trade magazines, who feel that 4 Federal Qs, 2 Mars lights, and a Roto-Ray are needed on the front end of a rig (on top of the dual-preconnected hydrualic tools).

Is this a safety issue or complete waste of taxpayers money? (but I am sure they generate a lot of conversation at the parades and musters........)

Parades and Musters aren't nearly as big a deal outside of NY and New England. Most of the goofy overboard setups on these rigs are installed at the cost of the volunteers after the rig has been delivered just like FDNY units that choose to instal Federal Q's on their rigs.

Most of these departments don't get much tax payer money because in VA and PA (Commonwealths not states by charter) there are strict rules about levying fire taxes... Most departments pay for these rigs (the whole rig not just the toys) through the sweat of the vollies doing fund raising like carnivals, dinners, bingo, raffels, golf tourneys etc.

No offense to Westchester as a whole.... I lived there all my life minus the past two years... BUT before we start getting critical of a goofy light setup on a rig etc.. why don't we look at the TRUE waste of taxpayer money in Westchester.....

Why do we need the number of Tower Ladders that we have.... Why do volunteer departments have 5 engines when they can only staff 2 or 3, why do we have the number of cascades that we have.... The truth is that the average Westchester department could provide high quality fire protection with (excluding Mini attacks and Tankers) 2 engines a truck or quint, and some way to provide rescue services (either with a dedicated rescue or carry the tools on a rescue engine)..... But everyone's got to have a fully stacked deck of apparatus... and god forbid one is out of service and you've got to rely on a truck from the next town over.....

Edited by mfc2257

As I started reading this thread, I was actually thankful that the pic was photoshopped, because I thought noone would be that crazy to put multiple roto-rays on a rig....then I say that there were real rigs like that. Add that to those train horns, and wow you really must have one hell of a budget to deck out a rig like that.

I don't know if these are good or bad departments, but one thing is for sure, it doesn't matter if you spend money from taxes, donations or fundraisers....putting that much stuff on a rig is a waste of money. Money that could be better spent of emergency equipment for that or another unit.

As for the 4Q rescue, I can't really understand the need for more than a single Q. If they are cycled together, I think there's no point. If they are cycled or controlled seperately then I think it would make a noise that at best is disturbing and at worst is confusing, especially as multiple rigs approach intersections. If there are multiple controls, I can think of alot of more important things to occupy my time in the front seat other than playing DJ with an array of foot pedals.

The horns atop the cab of that Rescue - and correct me if I am wrong - violates the NFPA 1900 standard for fire apparatus, right?

Aren't all audible warning devices to be mounted forward / below the driver's area now?

It's funny to me how many people firmly believe a fire truck should be RED because people associate it with a fire truck.

So why install TRAIN HORNS on a fire truck?! Wouldn't complacency of hearing these horns in a train community make the normal driver ignore it - at least the first time or two it is blasted? We have hundreds of trains passing through our little butt-crack of a community and the trains are as common a sound as dogs barking. Then, don't forget the SYPSTC condition people have when they realize they have a fire truck comming up on them with a billion lights and a combined 500 watts of noise coming out of it.

PS - SYPSTC is Sh!t Your Pants, Stop The Car....a problem I know I see too often.

the lights that twirl around are "Fuc*k You" lights in the Hyde Park area of DC, dont ask why

Edited by SPFC56-233

I like them very different

the lights that twirl around are "Fuc*k You" lights in the Hyde Park area of DC, dont ask why

Another "Rock-ism" :lol: He's my hero... 'Ol Roto-ray was never the same after he made fun of 63-45's FU light! I almost bought the farm at that fire too... some jackass left the bottom my ladder that he was footing while I was breaking out one of the gable vents... didn't work out too well... ladder shifted 4 feet on the concrete (which felt like 20 at my end). Man, I show up in tan gear and you guys try to kill me!?! ROFLMAO!

Another "Rock-ism" :lol: He's my hero... 'Ol Roto-ray was never the same after he made fun of 63-45's FU light! I almost bought the farm at that fire too... some jackass left the bottom my ladder that he was footing while I was breaking out one of the gable vents... didn't work out too well... ladder shifted 4 feet on the concrete (which felt like 20 at my end). Man, I show up in tan gear and you guys try to kill me!?! ROFLMAO!

That light was the main attraction, looked like a circus, as for the tan gear, it should have been black man....black Globe

503_laddertruck.JPG

Edited by SPFC56-233