Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest 53fireman

Part-time Firefighter Employment

11 posts in this topic

Do any departments in Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess or North-eastern Jersey have any part-time drivers or FFs?

I don't know of any off hand in the surrounding Counties that have part-time FF's, i think mostly in part due to union regulations.

However, i have seen depts. in Jersey that hire per-diem FF's. Many depts. in Jersey fall under the New Jersey Firemens Mutual Benevolent Association (NJFMBA). Heres a link to their site, with a list of all their locals...

http://www.njfmba.org/locals.htm

You can browse through that and it may help. I know that i stumbled upon a Jersey Dept. that was looking for per-diem FF's not to long ago, just can't remember which dept. it was. I believe the requirements included FF1, Haz-Mat ops, Confined Space and a few others.

Anyway, hope this was of some assistance!

Do any departments in Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess or North-eastern Jersey have any part-time drivers or FFs?

Nothing like that up here in Dutchess that I know of.

Rual Metro tongue.gif lol

At one time West Point FD use to put summer FF's on.

I don't know if they still do.

I know Wildwood, NJ does hire summer FF's and EMT's

West point still uses summer temps

West point still uses summer temps

they ended their application period already...

they ended their application period already...

What do you need for this position anyway? It's not civil service is it?

A couple of towns / districts in CT I believe still have PT's or as we call them "Call-men". As for EMS several daytime paid municipal / contracted corps services have pt employees.

What do you need for this position anyway? It's not civil service is it?

its not civil service....

I did it last year, thought about doing it again this year. It called STEP firefighter, and its meant for college students (although I think even a high school kid can do it with the right education background). It was a summer part-time gig. You needed to fill out all the applications and have a certain number of credits and in good standing with your school...then you mailed in your application and hoped for a vacancy to open up...when i called back in May, the woman told me the positions were filled.

Are there any volunteer departments that have programs for associate/shift work members?

Andrew, there are some departments in Long Island (not sure if they are voly or combo..could be both) that hire people to work some kind of associate shifts...the bad news is that i believe these positions are more like janitoral positions than anything else. you dont do a whole alot that actually concerns firefighting, if any at all. this position is also civil service so you have to take a test. you can find them on the county websites down there...i forgot which counties exactly, i forgot the exact title of the position...something like "fire station manager" or some crap like that....also, just like every other department, RESIDENCY is mandatory