Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Emergency Lights On Scene

13 posts in this topic

Chris192's topic about the EMS abuse of lights during transport got me thinking.

When you pull up on a routine call at a private residence, on a side street, flycar or ambulance, police car or firetruck, do you leave your lights on?

I was taught a long time ago when I was an EMT at Empress working Medic 30 with Bill Rothchild that it's better to be discreet, especially in neighborhoods. Over the years, I've become a Paramedic and found that principle to be respectful, and have practiced it.

Usually, I shut my lights off when turning on to the block of the residence. There's no need for an ambulance, fire truck,or police car to make a scene nor leave the lights on for something like this. If it's nightime, I turn on my scene lights for safety, and occasionally the four way flashers or lightbar flashers/arrowstick.

Of course, highway jobs and other times where my vehicle is in a dangerous spot the lights stay on.

There's just no need, even on a fire scene....if the road's blocked off and you're pumping, why must the emergency lights be on....it justs adds an uneeded electrical load to the vehicle.

Personally - I only leave my lights on if my vehicle is creating a road hazard (ie I pull up somewhere facing the wrong direction of the road... accident scenes... etc.) or when we have an ALS intercept coming so they can easier find us (and with that said, I reduce the lights down to just the box lights / half the lightbar depending the rig capabilities)

I agree the Simple Nursing home calls off the road you do not need your lights on because you are just going to get everyone going lights on at a school during school hours you are going to get kids districted and bring the to you

During our MCI DRILL that we had there was one thing i stressed with all Ambulance turn your lights off if your are not blocking road hazards. There should only be one vehicle on a MCI scene with lights on and that is the IC car so everyone can Identify it

I believe Lights should stay on when it Creates Road hazards, To assist other vehicle to find you vehicle when need. and Finally to PROTECT ALL PERSONNEL ON SCENE. SAFETY FIRST.

I'd rather lose an AMBULANCE, Fire truck, or Police Car than Emergency Personnel.

So often on my job people are in areas that they're not familiar with leaving something on is helpfull in finding a crew you're trying to back-up. I don't go screaming into the block, and I kill the majority of my lights, but truth is people are going to notice 4 or 5 fire apperatus suddenly showing up on the block. Same for EMS. An RMP and a bus or two aren't going to blend in too well either. Before you start breaking stones about leaving lights on ifo a house make sure you've got response priority down.

Funny enough another pet peave of mine. If I arrive at the same time I often "remind" the vehicle driver to shut down the lights when parking on scene. There is just no plain reason as so many of you have stated if you are not creating a hazard to have them on. And even then if your on a residetial street...your 4 way flashers will cause less of a risk then having all your lights on, which can be blinding...particulary for the agencies that have laser light shows on their rigs.

Most police cars are turned off and locked at the scene...granted they usually spend more time at location than EMS, but FD on EMS calls seem to always leave all their emergency lights on. I think that is not necessary. Once you are there, there really is no more emergency so why do they get left on??? It blinds others and creates crowds. On the contrary there are times when LIGHTS are important...major scenes where you need to get everyones attention, but routine calls you should use some discretion.

As well, why don't fire depts also have response priorities? I can't speak for everyone but almost all the time I hear units dispatched on non-priority type calls, such as water conditions with good information and then you hear the responding units blaring away with lights and sirens to, what I consider (IMO), a non emergency type call. I mean if the persons are trapped in house that is being washed away that is one thing, but a pump out of a basement or a pipe burst in a wall...come on now!

FD's around here leave all their lights on when on scene. However, drivers around here pay more attention to their coffee than what's in front of them, so there's your reason for having lights on.

Mike

I guess I'll jump in this one... I'll turn my lights off most of the time depending on where I am. Little side street there going off,but if I'm at an office building on a main strip and I'm first in and it's the middle of the night I'll keep my lights on so everyone knows where to go. Highways the rears stay on. If your blocking roads well thats a given I think,some form of lighting should remain on. I think thats it.

As well, why don't fire depts also have response priorities?  I can't speak for everyone but almost all the time I hear units dispatched on non-priority type calls, such as water conditions with good information and then you hear the responding units blaring away with lights and sirens to, what I consider (IMO), a non emergency type call.  I mean if the persons are trapped in house that is being washed away that is one thing, but a pump out of a basement or a pipe burst in a wall...come on now!

Uh, we do. SOPs state what constitutes a Code 3 (Lights and Sirens) and what is a Code 1 (cold) repsonse. Calls like CO, pump outs, fluids in the road, minor mulch/outdoor fires with no exposures, etc. go Code 1. Logically, blue lights can only be used on Code 3 alarms.

Uh, we do. SOPs state what constitutes a Code 3 (Lights and Sirens) and what is a Code 1 (cold) repsonse. Calls like CO, pump outs, fluids in the road, minor mulch/outdoor fires with no exposures, etc. go Code 1. Logically, blue lights can only be used on Code 3 alarms.

Individual Departments have separate SOG's correct. So do all of them have response priorities? How about; Do people actually follow them? And is there a disciplinary program for those who just do what they want?

As well there are some that abuse blue/green light procedures, and one that almost hit me playing basketball in front of my house years back in Buchanan! No alarm, just joy riding around like a maniac with lights flashing...you know who you are!

If we respond to a call non-emergency then the lights won't come on unless we end up parked in a bad spot. Otherwise we almost always leave the lights on when we arrive at a scene no matter where it is. Sure the siren isn't going to be blaring on a quiet residential street, but we've never had a policy of turning off lights. Our newest engine automatically shuts off almost all of the main light bar when it goes into park, but that is mainly a power conservation thing.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the topic, but I was in truck company operation class the other day and I distinctly remember the instructor saying if you get disoriented at a fire look for the red flashing lights and it will help you orient yourself to safety. Depending on where, when, and what I can agree or disagree with turning off you lights on scene.

X635 just mentioning Billy Rothchilds name should get you a slap on the behind. LOL.

I use my lights only for distraction purposes. In a large group that needs to be dispersed I keep them on along with the siren if need be. On an EMS call I might not even turn them on going to the call. Depends on the nature. Read my other post and you will see. If I am on a Fire scene or Accident blocking or directing traffic the lights are on. I personally hate when the lights are on. Especially at night. People do try and sleep. They don't need ambulance, fire, or POLICE lights going in their windows. I know that you all like to play with the lights and sirens. But there is a time and a place for everything.

How you turn the lights on in the bay evey once in awhile. That should get it out of your system.

I think I will start a new thread about lights now.