Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Looking To Buy A Boat- Need Advice

5 posts in this topic

A little off the topic of emergency services but I am looking to buy a boat and need some direction from any boaters that may be on here. What is a good manufacturer?? Thanks

My father and I bought a boat a couple of years ago and what manufacturer to look at is based on where you will be primarily using the boat and where you will be keeping the boat.

how about some specifics here, where are you going to use it? will it be trailered, or in a slip?, is it for fishing or skiing, family, or friends?, inshore on lakes or rivers?, offshore? inboard or outboard engine? need some more info, many manufacturers have boats that would meet your needs, just decide what you want to do with the boat, then work from there

hey come down here to norwalk i work in a marina, we have almost every type of boat in the yard and in many sizes

HFD........DON'T DO IT!!!

All kidding aside, boats are great, but very, very expensive, so be prepared!

As most members have stated, it all depends on what you are looking to do with the boat. Will it be for pleasure, fishing, family or a combination? Are you looking for a sailboat or power boat, trailering it or putting it in a slip? How people would you want to bring on the boat? These are all things that you will have to consider in choosing the right boat for you.

I own a 21' Donzi cuddy cabin with a 350 OMC motor and its perfect for me for now. I can go out with 5 or so people and still have plenty of power, plus its roomy enough to anchor out and relax. I can also sleep 2 people in the cabin and its plenty comfortable. Personally, i chose to put my boat in a slip and this will be my 3rd season at my boat club. I pay about $1,300 a season for the slip. But for me, its worth it. When i get out of work, i just head down to the boat, remove the cover, start her up and i'm off. Plus i have great neighbors in the slips around me and they are more than helpful when i need anything.

Obviously, as in any purchase, do your research! Make sure you know what you want and look around. I would suggest going with a pre-owned for your first boat to ensure you will use it and you enjoy it without breaking the piggy bank.

Whatever you may decide, best of luck to ya! Boating is a great time and a fun way to relax and meet good people!