Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

If The County Can.....

21 posts in this topic

If Westchester County can regulate the Taxi industry (Westchester Taxi and Limosine Commision), as well as a whole bunch of other things, how come they cannot regulate FD and EMS staffing and response times?????

cause no one really cares about taxies and things but when it comes to the Fire and ems we have the sacred cow syndrome-- no one is allowed to get involved unless its from the inside. home rule state. that is the biggest thing. ohh did i forget to mention that egos get in the way of progress. anad progress is very slow except when it come to apparatus then bigger is better.

Simple, too many chiefs, not enough indians.

What I'm trying to say is that if the County (and towns) can set requirments for Taxi Cabs and Drivers, how come they can't set standards for Fire and EMS?

Such as a first due engine company needs to have 4 guys with such-and-such training and has to be on scene within a reasonable amount of time based on the response area.

But, how would this be enforced? Disbanding companies and having other jurisdictions take over if the fire company does not step up to make improvments.

Not too far off in how the issue is addressed all over the northeast.

In some cases, the cry for staffing is coming from within and is falling on deaf ears. Like getting a traffic light at a hazardous intersection, something bad has to happen before the change is made.

In other cases, it's ego over reality. While there are those that will cry NFPA this and NFPA that when trying to justify the purchase of new equipment, try telling that same dept that they need to meet NFPA 1710/1720 with regards to staffing. You will hear more excuses then a politician trying to deny pandering as to why 1710/1720 doesn't apply to them.

I believe taxis are not under the County's control, but rather are under the local governments control, village or town.

Same as the local FD.

First of all, the County does not contol taxis. That is up to local municipalities. The Taxi and Limousine Commission is a bit of a misnomer but the establishment of the TLC required state legislation.

As to why doesn't the county "regulate" FD apparatus manning and EMS response times....it's called home room.

Each municipality or fire district has a "moat" around it. No one in....no one out unless the Chief says it's OK. This is simply put, but, in essence, everybody likes their own little kingdom and they don't want anybody to invade it.

It's like the 45 (I think) police departments in the county and the far, far too many PSAPs ! Where does it end ?

It's also about the $$$. You can put 4 men (sorry ladies) on every rig in this county, but that's an awful lot of money for a job that produces relatively little activity.

I know, I know.......when the bells go off, the whistle blows or the pager....ah, pages, you can never have enough first responders. But in this day and age of tight budgets and high taxes, any personnel lines that do not produce activity on a consistent basis are looked at by managers and ripe for elimination or contracting out.

It's not right, but, that's the way it is.

Because NY is a home rule state and leaves issues and standards up to the "authority having jurisidiction" AHJ. Not to mention the fact that in regards to the fire services there are about 57 "states" in Westchester. Taxi's are licensed for one reason only..accountability and $$. Apples and Oranges when it comes to discussing the fire service and "control." Be careful that is a dangerous word to use and you might be labeled everything under the sun. You have to remember...it always works everywhere else and in numerous places except for where your standing at that moment.

I believe taxis are not under the County's control, but rather are under the local governments control, village or town.

Same as the local FD.

I think "taxis" (marked vehicles for hire) are regulated by locals while "livery" vehicles (town cars, limos, etc.) are regulated by the County.

If I remember correctly you could be operating a "livery" and not fall under anyone's jurisdiction so the County stepped up to work with the NYC TLC and get some reciprocity and regulation. Westchester limos used to get brutalized by the TLC enforcement agents in the city because they didn't have an oversight agency and authorization to operate in the city.

As for fire and EMS being under a similar umbrella agency, as has already been said - they're their own "government" and unless someone starts hauling tea to the harbor, nothing is ever going to change. What percentage of the population actually votes for their fire commissioners - 10? 20? I'm not sure fire districts even have to put their budgets up for a vote like schools do (please correct me if I'm wrong) but most people are content to put their heads in the sand and ignore emergency services (until they need them). And I'm not picking on the FD - having 45 PD's and dozens of PSAP's in the County doesn't make all that much sense either!

If Westchester County can regulate the Taxi industry (Westchester Taxi and Limosine Commision), as well as a whole bunch of other things, how come they cannot regulate FD and EMS staffing and response times?????

You all don't have C-MED regions out there and a State OEMS office that regulates EMS response times huh?

Just to back Seth up here YES Westchester County does regulate taxis within the county. I drove for a car service and it cost me $150.00 for the TLC permit and that was just to drive. The guy I drove for has to shell out a LOT more than that every year. Towns and villages in some locales may have some rules as well, but the town I worked out of does not.

It's not so much about the taxis, it's about the priorities of goverment.

It seems like Westchester, can find a way to regulate and govern just about anything. If school buses are late or trash doesn't get picked up, the Town Hall or School Board fields dozens of calls.

If an ambulance takes a half an hour to arrive, or a fire engine shows up with a driver and a 65 year old exterior only member, it doesn't matter to the public. And people in our business, for whatever reason, think that if they hide things, that it won't be a problem.

Many people are quick to dismiss any kind of solution, citing home rule. But does that really have to exist? It's BS, because the politics and egos prevent anything that would progress the Fire and EMS service in this County.

Fire Districts can get away with just about everything, but there are checks and balances, and the goverment CAN find ways to place regulations on Fire and EMS in the County. (If you argue, then what's WREMSCO? If they can make all kinds of protocols, and they have to certify EMS Agencies and employees in the County, how come they can't regulate response times?

And if not, how come concerned people can't take this to Albany?

There needs to be a revolution. And with such, comes a fight.

People know when their bus is suppose to arrive and when their trash is suppose to be picked up. They don't know and really don't care about emergency services until they are calling 911. In the ghetto they know all about response times. Thats half the reason we get so many arrests that miraculously come back to life just before we get there.

Home rule doesn't have to exist, but in NYS it does. To eliminate it would take a constitutuinal amendment. Good luck taking the power away from every city and town in the state. A little more feesable is taking fire out from home rule protection. But wait a second most police depts are still the 911 call reciever. Find me a politician who's going to go after the local FD without the public starting the fight.

WREMSCO and other related agencies only exist because EMT's are state certified. EMS was born in the age of beuracracy. Police and fire both predate that kind of oversight and control. They can't cover our response times because there's no legislation governing mandatory coverage. Once again find me the politician who's going to come after emergency services without the community leading the charge.

Voter turn out is so low these days that pissing off the local volleys is more than enough votes to swing a local election.

smile.gif

And if not, how come concerned people can't take this to Albany?

Seth, you said it..." concerned people". What are most citizens concerned about today? If you went to a barbecue today at someone's house it would be safe to say ( unless it is with those in our business) the topic will be the economy, priceof bread and milk, high taxes, cost of living, kids college, price of gas/oil, the Yankees/Giants/Nets... etc. That is what I usually hear. People usually won't discuss fire-ems-police because the average citizen will never need any of the services so it is not a priority.

People in general are concerned with just getting by, putting thir kids through school and moving south..( at least I am smile.gif ....not when or how long a fire truck or ambulance will take...of course untill one is needed so I think a base of concerned people would be rather small. Politicians listen to numbers.

People usually won't discuss fire-ems-police because the average citizen will never need any of the services so it is not a priority.

Exactly. And much of that is OUR fault for not educating our citizens, and covering up our flaws. It saddens me that it seems more people are in this for themselves, not others.

You can beat people to death with info, but if they don't care they won't hear it. Talk to anyone who works at a hardware or big box store and ask them about smoke detector and co detetctor sales. Nothing changes for fire prevention week, but as soon as a few deaths hit the headlines those things fly off the shelves.

just wanted to tell you about wc-tlc its run though the county police and its to help drivers from westchester at the airport at westchester and ofset the cost of nyc tlc there was a big fight with nyc a few years back about westchester drivewrs getting tlc tags to drive in nyc so westchester had to do something they do not set fares or such local towns and villages and cities do that

I know you are recovering and have time on your hands ---- the state has ploicies concerning fire department---FF1=FF2-mandated training for career firefighters but itsHOME RULE the department dosent have to adheare to the training standards--unless something happens then watch out and see whos running for cover!!